FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Forthcoming Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Forthcoming Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously? Have you seen Kate Beckinsale?

I'd pay to watch her kill vampires any day of the week, if for no other reason than to support the antithesis to Twilight.

Of course, I'll go during the bargain priced matinee, there aren't many movies I'd pay full price for at all anymore.

The only thing I have plans to see in prime time and actually pony up for is Coriolanus, if it ever actually comes to a theater near me.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Red Tails was, as I feared, quite worth missing. If anyone wants to watch that historical story set to drama, by all means watch the first one and avoid the largely empty, over the top new version.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

What other movie is there?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Seriously? Have you seen Kate Beckinsale?

I'd pay to watch her kill vampires any day of the week,

I want to call you what is wrong with america and chase you with like a stick or something, but my therapist says I've been doing good and wants me to keep my probation and
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
It's cool, Sam, I don't have a therapist.

*chases Lyr with a stick*

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently purchased the movie CJ7 on DVD at Big Lots. I haven't watched it yet, but I figured a random musing like that would fit well in a thread about movies which don't need their own thread.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else looking forward to Grey?

Even if it is just Liam Neeson fighting wolves in the icy tundra, its Liam Neeson fighting wolves in the icy tundra.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

By punching them.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

But no seriously it doesn't look very good.
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that movie looks like every other Liam Neeson action movie. Why does he keep doing them? He's not really an action hero. He always struck me as a talented guy, so I wonder why he doesn't do more non-action films. Oh well. I'll probably still see it when it comes out on dvd.

Another movie coming out is Battleship. It looks horrible.

*sigh*

I'll still watch it.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Also, I just watched a preview for Perfect Sense and it could be good. It stars Ewan McGregor and Eva Green and is basically about how a disease spreads that starts taking away your senses one by one (beginning with smell, then taste, then sight).

It reminds me of that one movie...Blindness, I think...but who knows. It could be good.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. I thought Liam Neeson was very convincing in Taken. I quite enjoyed it.

Rotten Tomatoes currently has The Grey at 81%. Since I love survival shows, I'll probably watch it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

I thought Taken was really really fun, but movies like that have to be done just right for me to enjoy them.

The RT rating surprises me and fills me with a glimmer of hope, though.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
Is anyone else looking forward to Grey?

Even if it is just Liam Neeson fighting wolves in the icy tundra, its Liam Neeson fighting wolves in the icy tundra.

I am looking forward to it. I think it looks pretty cool. I'm a sucker for popcorn flicks. I probably won't get a chance to see it, but I want to.

Or am I just out to bug Sam? Hard to say at this point.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

No way Sam could object.

I mean, Liam Neeson punches wolves.

With his fist.

Even Sam has to see the beauty in that.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Think of the memes that could be created!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent a good stretch of time in a wolf rescue preserve sleeping in tents next to something like seventy wild wolves, fed them, and built stretches of fence enclosure and stucco whenever I wasn't walking into the center of their preserve carrying about fifty pounds of fresh carcass.

Wolves are about the least dangerous large animal you can ever run across. They are ridiculously non-aggressive towards humans. So things like the grey are usually pretty easy for me to roll my eyes at. Statistically, the movie would make more sense if they were under assault from deer.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they are cub-traffickers, and Liam Neeson will stop at nothing to get his cubnapped wolf back.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Samp: Weren't the wolves you were dealing with reintroduced into the wild by humans? If you had a pack that was starved from lack of food, and truly wild wolves, I could see them being willing to take whatever comes along.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
Yeah, that movie looks like every other Liam Neeson action movie. Why does he keep doing them? He's not really an action hero. He always struck me as a talented guy, so I wonder why he doesn't do more non-action films.

Because movies like this didn't earn him any respect in Hollywood.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I just shrug and assume these movies come from the same vein of alternate reality as the games where wolves are constantly attacking you and they're all avowed human hunters with extreme aggressiveness.
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
quote:
Yeah, that movie looks like every other Liam Neeson action movie. Why does he keep doing them? He's not really an action hero. He always struck me as a talented guy, so I wonder why he doesn't do more non-action films.

Because movies like this didn't earn him any respect in Hollywood.
Ugh, not Darkman. You have to wonder what he was thinking with that one.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I just shrug and assume these movies come from the same vein of alternate reality as the games where wolves are constantly attacking you and they're all avowed human hunters with extreme aggressiveness.

So wolves are naturally non-aggressive? Your experience had nothing to do with them being domesticated and expecting you to deliver them food on a regular basis?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

In Samprimary's defense wolf.org has a pretty damning pdf citing studies about your chances of being harmed by a wolf.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Yeah my partner loves wolves (would be so jealous of Sam right now), has read a ton about them, and has pretty much told me the exact same thing that Sam said. Any time we see a movie or play a game with super aggressive wolves I always get an earful about how it's completely ridiculous and unrealistic.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Just pretend all these wolves are rabid. Or perhaps infected with the T-Virus ala Resident Evil's dogs.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:

So wolves are naturally non-aggressive? Your experience had nothing to do with them being domesticated and expecting you to deliver them food on a regular basis?
Yes. They're one of the last things you have to be worried about in the wild. They shy away from humans if at all possible, and often even if cornered in a den. Even if they are starving, they will abandon their kills if a human walks up to them. Moose and bears and even wild badgers require precautions. Wolves don't.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Also they are ridiculously adorable.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Just pretend all these wolves are rabid. Or perhaps infected with the T-Virus ala Resident Evil's dogs.

Or pretend its just a movie.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
A Dangerous Method was decent, but not great. Overall I was a bit disappointed, but still enjoyed it.

Hopefully I'll get to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and the new Fullmetal Alchemist movie this weekend.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

So I saw The Grey last Friday. If you want to watch an exciting thriller where you can cheer for the hero, don't go see this movie. If you want to feel horrible for the characters in the movie and see men struggle to work together, while having some pretty intense emotional moments in a bleak and unforgiving environment then go see this movie.

Also, I will say that while the wolves were a bit too big, I bought the movie's reasoning for why they were trying to kill everybody.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

why, what was it?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
why, what was it?

*Spoilers*
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

They crashed within the wolves' territory, and while the wolves were trying to chase them off, instead they inadvertently made their way directly towards the wolves' den.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Did they also run from the wolves a lot?

As far as I know, pretty much every documented case of wolf attacks were because the person acted like prey. When you walk away from them (or towards them!) they very rarely attack.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
A Dangerous Method was decent, but not great. Overall I was a bit disappointed, but still enjoyed it.

Hopefully I'll get to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and the new Fullmetal Alchemist movie this weekend.

Wish I'd noticed this sooner so I could recommend waiting to see TTSS on Netflix. I was extremely underwhelmed by it.

-Vague Spoiler Warning But Not Really-

The only interesting and genuinely tense/spyish sort of scene was when Sherlock/Smaug/Whatever his name was in this movie tried to surreptitiously retrieve a logbook from the Circus.

Everything else was just plodding quiet scenes interspersed with brief shots of random graphic violence. I actually had to be nudged awake at one point by one of the people I saw it with.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Did they also run from the wolves a lot?

As far as I know, pretty much every documented case of wolf attacks were because the person acted like prey. When you walk away from them (or towards them!) they very rarely attack.

Spoilers*
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Not exactly. Liam Neeson "hunts predators up in the Arctic" so he knows to stand their ground and not retreat until the wolves do. But there are times where they are caught out in the open the wolves start closing as a pack, and they run like hell. Or of course the idiot who goes off on his own for just a few feet and gets gutted.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Goon looks ok, Sean William Scott playing a slow witted numbskull rather than an energetic idiot. Some of how this movie came to be makes me not like it, but it does look pretty funny and it has the red headed girl from Scott Pilgrim, plus hockey and generic Canadian accents so I'm in.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
They crashed within the wolves' territory, and while the wolves were trying to chase them off, instead they inadvertently made their way directly towards the wolves' den.

AS per my strategy, I think that works fine as long as you remember that this is taking place in the alternate universe where wolves aggress on humans for being in their pack territory or much of anything.

(in real life, wolves would not go anywhere near that group of people. they would do their best to stay completely hidden)

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Saw Chronicle a few days ago. Has anyone else seen it yet?

My verdict: good film, but could have been great if it had not chosen to use the found footage type of camera style. I hate that crap, and it's kind of cheesy in this one. Otherwise, though, great movie.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:

AS per my strategy, I think that works fine as long as you remember that this is taking place in the alternate universe where wolves aggress on humans for being in their pack territory or much of anything.

(in real life, wolves would not go anywhere near that group of people. they would do their best to stay completely hidden)

Samp is a closet furry. Got it.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I would tag up on that remark, but I love it too much when even the moderator trolls.
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Saw Chronicle a few days ago. Has anyone else seen it yet?

My verdict: good film, but could have been great if it had not chosen to use the found footage type of camera style. I hate that crap, and it's kind of cheesy in this one. Otherwise, though, great movie.

MILD SPOILERS AHEAD

I loved it, I had similar experiences to Andrew so his character really resonated with me. I felt really bad after the party scene, I know how hard it can be, feeling like you can't trust anyone to be genuine, like everyone is out to get you.

I don't normally like the 'found footage' films but I think this is by far the best example of it.

What's-her-name Matt's love interest felt really superfluous. I didn't think she brought anything to the story, except maybe a reason Matt wasn't around for the storm, and basically was just another camera.

I loved Steve, he was a great guy, and the way the movie played out for him just sucked.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Chronicle made me wonder: what would each of us do with powers like that? They kept getting stronger and there wasn't any clear indication that they'd stop. If they'd kept getting stronger, how far do you think that power would have risen? And what would you guys do with that kind of ability?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Haven't seen it yet. But these reviews make me want to.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Wish I'd noticed this sooner so I could recommend waiting to see TTSS on Netflix. I was extremely underwhelmed by it.

-Vague Spoiler Warning But Not Really-

That actually doesn't turn me off. Have you seen Drive?

I haven't seen Tinker Tailor yet, but I did get to see the Fullmetal Alchemist movie. It's exactly what it sounds like: a Fullmetal Alchemist movie. If you liked Brotherhood, you'll enjoy it quite a bit.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait for Knights of Badassdom. Nerds? Check. Larping? Check. Lens flare? You know it!

http://knightsofbadassdom.com/

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

"geek-friendly cast" is a thing now I see
Samprimary
Member # 8561

patron Felicia Day presiding
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

quote:
patron Felicia Day presiding

Will Wheton for vice-president.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
I can't wait for Knights of Badassdom. Nerds? Check. Larping? Check. Lens flare? You know it!

http://knightsofbadassdom.com/

Mouth literally agape.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.