FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » best cover songs

Author Topic: best cover songs
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Inspired by Lyrhawn's thread.

Here are some of my favorites (in no particular order):
Mad World - Gary Jules
Boys of Summer - The Ataris
Goodbye Earl - Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
Enjoy the Silence - Anberlin & Breaking Benjamin
Hurt - Johnny Cash
A Groovy Kind of Love - Phil Collins
El Scorcho - Dashboard Confessional

Tons more, but I'll stop there.

So what are some of your favorite covers?

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't link youtube from work, so it'll probably just be ignored but I noticed you mentioned The Ataris.

Their cover of "I Remember You" was the first song I heard by them. I really like it.

Where is My Mind by Nada Surf

Microphone Fiend by Rage Against The Machine

Maggie's Farm by Rage Against The Machine

Story of a Lonely Guy by Odi Accoustic (See also Blink 182's "Always" by the same guy.)

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

Those are all good, too.

Odi rocks. He does several excellent Blink covers.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Not necessarily the "best" cover songs bust just some of my favorite cover songs:

* "Such Great Heights" by Confide originally by The Postal Service

* "Hurt" by Hundredth playing the adaptation by Johnny Cash originally by Nine Inch Nails

* "Kick Out the Jams" by Rage Against the Machine originally by The MC5

* Don't Fear the Reaper by Sever Your Ties originally by Blue Oyster Cult

* "Live Your Life" by A Plea for Purging originally by T.I. and Rihana

* "Wounded" by He Is Legend originally by Third Eye Blind

* "Go Your Own Way" by Silverstein originally by Fleetwood Mac

* "Good Intentions" by Silverstein originally by Gorilla Biscuits

* "Oh Darling" performed by Dustin Kensrue of Thrice originally by The Beatles

* "Fell On Black Days" by Classic Case originally by Soundgarden

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm too lazy to link.

"Black Magic Woman" - Santana (originally Fleetwood Mac)
"All Around the Watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix (originally Bob Dylan)

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Behind Blue Eyes, performed by Limb Bizkit originally The Who.

From the movie Across the Universe, I Want to Hold Your Hand, I know its super mastered on the sound board but I like at a lot more than the original Beatles.

And ofcourse Lake of Fire performed by Nirvana, originally by Meat Puppets.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Oh, Lord. No offense, but I can't stand that Limp Bizkit cover. I think covering The Who is a criminal offense unless you have the talent to back it up.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a couple more for Steve to disagree with.

Jolene performed by The White Stripes, made famous by Dolly Parton. I know its odd, but I like Jack White better on this one. It shows in Dolly's voice that she has nothing to worry about from some redhead, she is Dolly friggin' Parton and Jack puts more into it imo.

Last Kiss performed by Pearl Jam, by Wayne Cochran. Pearl Jam really did this song the way it deserved to be.

Home, performed extremely adorably by Jorge and Alexa Narvaez, or the less heartwarming original Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zero's.

Alejandro performed by The Piece's, originally by some person called Lady Gaga.

I wish someone would improve upon Bon Jovi's Wanted Dead or Alive, I love the song but would appreciate the option of rocking out to a band that isn't Bon Jovi.

[ January 19, 2012, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
So many awesome covers out there!

Higher Ground by Red Hot Chili Peppers (Stevie Wonder Cover) - it's one of RHCP's better songs, imo, and I think they do a great job adapting Stevie Wonder's song to their style

Chasing Cars by The Baseballs (Snow Patrol Cover) - I love the original but this an incredibly fun peppy take on it.

They Don't Know by Ben Gibbard (Kirsty MacColl Cover) - taking a great early 80's song (made famous by the Tracey Ullman cover) and spinning it into indie hipster territory.

Kids by Ben Lee (MGMT Cover) - a stripped down version that gives the lyrics more room to breathe.

Skinny Love by Birdy (Bon Iver Cover) - she just has a gorgeous voice. I love most of her covers, but I'll just list this one & the next as my top two.

Young Blood by Birdy (The Naked and Famous Cover) - slowed down one of my favorite get-up-and-go songs into something in inspirational territory. The music's arrangement here is my biggest draw here.

Jealous Guy by Casey James (John Lennon Cover) - Honestly, I like this version better than Lennon's, since the lyrics were always calling for a country-ish interpretation.

We Found Love by Coldplay (Rihanna Cover) - I honestly like Chris Martin's voice, but Coldplay's music generally bugs the hell out of me with their constant striving to be tepidly adequate. But somehow them covering another pop song is fun.

Take Care by Florence + the machine (Drake and Rihanna Cover) - I adore her voice, generally.

Rolling in the Deep by Linkin Park (Adele Cover) - I had no idea Mike Shinoda had this good of a voice. Also, I think I enjoy this song more with a male vocalist.

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out by The Lucksmiths (Smiths Cover) - this is probably my favorite band, and I just think this is a lovely cover.

And... I could go on, but I won't.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
Here is a couple more for Steve to disagree with.

Jolene performed by The White Stripes, made famous by Dolly Parton. I know its odd, but I like Jack White better on this one. It shows in Dolly's voice that she has nothing to worry about from some redhead, she is Dolly friggin' Parton and Jack puts more into it imo.

Last Kiss performed by Pearl Jam, by Wayne Cochran. Pearl Jam really did this song the way it deserved to be.

I actually really like The White Stripes and Pearl Jam, and I'm kinda bummed I forgot to include the Pearl Jam cover in my own list.
rollainm
Member # 8318

Jhai, that Rolling in the Deep cover is awesome!

I heard Queen's "Somebody to Love" on the radio today, and it reminded me of two excellent covers by NicePeter (the guy behind Epic Rap Battles of History - it's goofy but still quite impressive) and the Dartmouth Aires (from their Queen medley on The Sing-Off. "Somebody to Love" starts about 1:45 in, but the whole thing is awesome).

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
Jhai, that Rolling in the Deep cover is awesome!

Hah - and I just realized I gave Mike credit for Chester's vocal chops. [Blushing]
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

You know, I never even read that far. I saw "Rolling in the Deep" and "Linkin Park" and that's all I needed.
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Johnson singing Buffett's A Pirate Looks at 40

Jason Mraz singing Rainbow Connection

The entire Across the Universe soundtrack.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my favorites have been covered, but have one more...

Hey Ya by Obadiah Parker (Outkast Cover) - I wouldn't have thought you could change something that drastically and keep it listenable. Then again, I wasn't a huge fan of the original, so...

Also, just about anything covered with a talented ukelele player ranks somewhere between "Good" and "Make me smile like a madman." While my Guitar Gently Weeps by Jake Shimabukuro is a good example of this.

[ January 21, 2012, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: Architraz Warden ]

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Jhai: Good call on that RHCP cover of Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground. Love that song.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Oh and nobody should forget Red Hot Chili Peppers' cover of Ohio Player's Roller Coaster of Love.

Epic stuff, especially the bass lick at 3:40. Blew my mind in high school.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Rage Against the Machine can actually be covered in a sort of Sublime style cover. Walk of The Earth's cover of RATM's People of the Sun.
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

- posted      Profile for capaxinfiniti           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Where is My Mind by Nada Surf

Microphone Fiend by Rage Against The Machine

Maggie's Farm by Rage Against The Machine

Yes. Where is My Mind has many good covers. Nada Surf's is the best but Ghoti Hook has a good one. So does Maxence Cyrin (I've mentioned this song before on Hatrack, or someone else has).

Two good ones by RATM: Pistol Grip Pump, originally by Volume 10 (talk about taking a mediocre song and making it awesome) and the classic How I Could Just Kill A Man, originally by Cypress Hill.

Teardrop by Jose Gonzalez, originally by Massive Attack.

Cover of Blue Monday by Orgy.

Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
Feeling Good.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Oh and nobody should forget Red Hot Chili Peppers' cover of Ohio Player's Roller Coaster of Love.

Epic stuff, especially the bass lick at 3:40. Blew my mind in high school.

This song is my favorite memory of Beavis and Butthead do America, even when I saw it at about nine years old it was the best part.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.