FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Chronicles of Narnia (no spoilers please)

Author Topic: Chronicles of Narnia (no spoilers please)
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
Overall, what is the general Hatrack opinion on this series? How does it compare to Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter.

Is reading it a good investment of time?

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
It is more blatantly allegorical than LotR or Harry Potter, but not to the extent that it detracts from the characters and story. It suffers from the same maybe-not-quite-racism-but-leaning-that-way as LotR, to about the same degree.

It could be enjoyed by younger readers than LotR, probably starting about the same age as Harry Potter.

Reading it is definitely worth the time.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on what you are looking for and what age you're talking about. I read it as an adult and found most of the stories to be pointless. The setting and the exploration of it were interesting, but I found the plots and characters weak.

I'm mostly glad to have read it, but I don't consider them particularly good books.

[ January 27, 2012, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it much, much more as a kid than I do now, and I'd put Harry Potter and LOTR above it.

Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe was my favorite as a kid. I think Voyage is my favorite now. I don't know why.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BBegley
Member # 12638

- posted      Profile for BBegley   Email BBegley         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't give an objective opinion, as these were my favorite books as a kid. I have no idea how they'd read to an adult seeing them for the first time, but my guess is not very well.

For the record, I like the Harry Potter books but have never been able to trudge through LOTR.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me as another who thoroughly enjoyed them as a kid and thusly unable to give an objective opinion.

The Magician's Nephew has always been my favorite. That one (along with The Hobbit and Ender's Game) was literally falling apart from rereads.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Magician's Nephew is still my favorite, and I enjoy most of them very much even now.

There are parts of the books that illustrate some of the principles of Christianity better than just about anything else I've ever experienced. For example, the power of Christ to change us, and our inability to change ourselves (as symbolized in the Eustace scenes in Voyage of the Dawn Treader).

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I would definitely recommend reading them. They are incredibly easy reads (I read the whole series in a week when I was 13), and I think really quite good. If you are into theological allegory, then that's even better. While Perelandra (one of Lewis' sci-fi novels) is perhaps my favorite in terms of allegory, Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a very close second. My personal favorite of the series though has always been The Horse and His Boy. I think I'm probably relatively alone in that, but I really love that one.

I personally would put them above the Harry Potter books but below Lord of the Rings.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Magician's Nephew is still my favorite

This. It's a prequel to the first book and tells the story of the Professor (and also the origins of Narnia). Those aren't spoilers, so don't worry. To me, it was by far the best in the series. The main novel is, of course, the one that everybody knows, but the prequel sets it all up, and it's done expertly.

As for the sequels, I could do without them. They move away from the main characters and it gets a little too religious (to the point where it's just blatantly obvious) in the final book.

If you read them, start with the Magician's Nephew.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No! Do not start with The Magician's Nephew! Read them in published order; anyone who says otherwise is evil and trying to ruin your enjoyment of the series. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
No! Do not start with The Magician's Nephew! Read them in published order; anyone who says otherwise is evil and trying to ruin your enjoyment of the series. [Smile]

Would you say the same thing about the Foundation series? Asimov has been quoted several times as saying that he prefers they be read in chronological order, not published order. Different authors, but the same principle.

I think the Magician's Nephew is well-written enough to go first, but that's me. To each their own.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely read them, and yes, start with The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe. Otherwise you get too many spoilers.

But my best advice would be to never ever read the last book. Not under any circumstances. Not ever. Reading The Last Battle ruined my enjoyment of the series forever. It's a horrible ending and you don't need to go there. I know what he was trying to do, but Lewis really messed up.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would you say the same thing about the Foundation series? Asimov has been quoted several times as saying that he prefers they be read in chronological order, not published order.
Yes. Asimov's wrong. And it's not just because his later work sometimes reads like bad fanfic.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm another one of those camp who read them as a kid and loved them but have not reread them as an adult. I doubt they hold up to HP or LotR, but they are fun and easy to gobble down, much like popcorn.

I honestly don't remember the last book, even though I did read it.

For what it's worth I will be reading them to my children when they are old enough to comprehend. Also note my household is NOT Christian.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

This.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thirded. (And how often do Tom, Kate, and I all agree on anything? Listen!)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Thirded. (And how often do Tom, Kate, and I all agree on anything? Listen!)

Ergo: read magicians nephew first
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.