FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Saying good bye to Chuck (Chuck Finale thread)

Author Topic: Saying good bye to Chuck (Chuck Finale thread)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
So fans of the perennially on-the-bubble show Chuck who were watching tonight got to see the series finale. I have to say, this is certainly in my top 3 of shows I've ever been emotionally invested in. The plot is often riddled with tropes, it's utterly predictable, it's not really all that deep, but man, the actors nailed the characters, and somewhere along the way I fell in love with them. It's the most perfect dramedy action mix I've ever seen. And now it's over. [Frown]

I'm glad it went on as long as it did, and that the fans fought so hard for it, and more so, that the fans were actually rewarded for their actions. Kudos to NBC for keeping it around and actually letting it go out in style instead of unceremoniously giving it the axe.

As for the end...I missed a lot of this season because I've been so busy with grad school. I saw maybe the first five episodes that cleaned up the cliffhanger from last season, but then I totally missed what led up to this finale. Needless to say it felt like a blow to the head, and Zachary Levy is a really good on screen crier. I almost got a little misty at a couple points. They left the ending a little ambiguous, and normally that bugs the hell out of me.

SPOILER

But I like to think it all worked out. Maybe that wasn't a magic kiss, but had the show kept going, she would have gotten her memory back and they would have lived happily ever after. It's just that kind of show, and they wouldn't do that to us after all this time. I might have liked a cleaner sign that that's where it went, but for me, wishing is going to make it so.

I'm also glad we got one last Jeffster performance. You had to know they wouldn't let it go without just one more.

END SPOILER

So, adios Chuck. Thanks for being so full of heart, and for playing to just about every meme from my childhood I can possibly think of. [Smile] I feel like in many ways it was a show made just for me, and that's probably while I'll always treasure it.

And yes, this is the sappiest I've ever gotten about a show ending.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad they knew the end was coming so they could have such a great goodbye episode. I enjoyed the references to the past, especially the end of the episode. It's wonderful to see the way the characters have grown.

The Firefly shout-out was hilarious. I love how they've celebrated geeks and geeky humor from the beginning.

I'm really going to miss Chuck.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
The ending was perfect, and horrible at the same time (because it was ending and I won't get to see these characters I've grown to love ever again).
Spoilers...

I happened to watch the first episode just before the finale, and loved how they ended on that same beach. Everything was wonderful, from bringing Chuck's mom back to seeing Ellie and Awesome go off on their own, to getting that final, bittersweet "everything will be okay... probably." I'm choosing to believe that it ends on a happily ever after moment. Some kind of montage of the rest of their lives or something would have been nice on some level, but I don't think it was really necessary.

End Spoilers

I may change my mind in time, but I was really quite happy with the finale. I will miss one of the few shows that had real people who happened to be nerds instead of the offensive caricatures that most shows go with, but I'm glad they got to go out with a real finale. With how many times they were almost canceled I really didn't expect them to.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
I'm glad they knew the end was coming so they could have such a great goodbye episode. I enjoyed the references to the past, especially the end of the episode. It's wonderful to see the way the characters have grown.

The Firefly shout-out was hilarious. I love how they've celebrated geeks and geeky humor from the beginning.

I'm really going to miss Chuck.

Did I miss the Firefly shout out? What'd they do?

The episode was so stuffed with references to past episodes that I must have missed it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
MINOR SPOILER

Casey said something about being happy to be doing good works, to Beckman toward the end of the episode. Jayne said the same thing in the first episode of Firefly, although he was much less sincere about it than Casey was.

END MINOR SPOILER

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that's a minor Firefly reference. Do you think it was intentional?

I liked his Firefly shout out in the video game Halo: ODST the most. He said "Gohram" or whatever their curse word was in the show. It was hilarious to hear his character say that out of nowhere. That game is great if you're a firefly fan. Several cameos from the cast of the show.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't read any of this because NBC is stupid. I've only seen the first episode of season 5 because a) I don't have cable and b) NBC chose to have the first episode online for a short time and after that none of season 5 is available online. Way to promote the show, NBC. [Wall Bash] [Grumble] [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.