FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Great, Terrible Movies

Author Topic: Great, Terrible Movies
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
So . . . there's been a lot of talk about "best" movies lately. What about terrible movies that you love?

I love. . . .

Cannibal The Musical
Repo: The Genetic Opera
Party Monster

Anybody with me?

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Highlander
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Tenacious D: Pick of Destiny

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking outlandishly bad, awesomely bad movies?

Or are we talking about popcorn flicks that suck but delight? There's a big difference.

For example, one of my favorite awesomely bad movies is Hobo With a Shotgun, which is stunningly, badly awesome.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
The Swarm . It has Michael Caine in it, and they destroy Huston to kill the killer bees (and are surprised when the bees just fly away).

Also Forbidden Planet is pretty wonderful. Monsters from the id!

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Bring It On

I can't ever flip past. Ever.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
Speed Racer
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
Bring It On

I can't ever flip past. Ever.

Yeah... this is, uh.

This is me too. [Dont Know]

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Bring It On and Legally Blonde are two movies that I have to stop on if I'm flipping channels. Its stupid how many times I've seen each movie.

I'm such a giant nerd for Repo: The Genetic Opera. Like "crazy drunken stories" level of nerd-dom.

My college roommate and I used to have arguments about whether Newsies was so bad it was good (me) or just bad (her).

And I had a phase some years back where I was watching Italian Job every week. Not quite sure why but I was obsessed with it and its just so stupid.

I'll also throw Hook out there too.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Mentioned this before, but: Kung Pow.

I mean, it's awful. It's garish. It's terrible. And yet none of us can stop quoting it.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
Bring It On and Legally Blonde are two movies that I have to stop on if I'm flipping channels. Its stupid how many times I've seen each movie.

I'm such a giant nerd for Repo: The Genetic Opera. Like "crazy drunken stories" level of nerd-dom.

My college roommate and I used to have arguments about whether Newsies was so bad it was good (me) or just bad (her).

And I had a phase some years back where I was watching Italian Job every week. Not quite sure why but I was obsessed with it and its just so stupid.

I'll also throw Hook out there too.

I'll give you Newsies, which I still watch whenever I catch on TV.

But Hook? Hook was awesome. Not awesomely bad, just awesome.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
My number one movie I have to watch every time is Blast from the Past.

I love that movie far, far more than I should.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
Goodburger
Bio-Dome

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Agreed.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Good Burger.

I also adore The Monster Squad and Judge Dredd even though they're horrendous.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Mentioned this before, but: Kung Pow.

I mean, it's awful. It's garish. It's terrible. And yet none of us can stop quoting it.

Samprimary speaks the truth.

I would qualify this by adding that the degree to which Kung Pow becomes genuinely enjoyable (instead of ironically enjoyed) increases with the number of teenagers you have watching it at once, and how late at night it is. (I've tested this multiple times)

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
CHOOOOOOOOOSEN ONNNE

WEEO WEEEEO WEEOWEEOWEEO

taco bell, taco bell, product placement for taco bell

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Taco bell, taco bell? Are talking about Taco Bell?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Agreed.
I agree with this.

As for good bad movies, I hear Troll 2 is the greatest.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Kung Pow. "What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungee cord? My ass!"
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
Ah, Kung Pow. "What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungee cord? My ass!"

I have been called bad before. Many have said I do things that are not correct to do. I don't believe in talk such as this. I am nice man, with happy feelings. All of the time.

Yes, a tiny net is a death sentence. It is a net and it is tiny!

we're children, we're children, we're children

Destineer
Member # 821

LOL.

I'm in the camp that says Hook is awesomely bad, not awesome period. But while we're on the topic of Hook: anyone know what "Bangarang" is actually supposed to signify? Is it just supposed to mean the same thing as "Boo-yah" or "You got pwned"?

Also, T_Smith: Star Trek the Motion Picture is a wonderful film. Second best in the series.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

quote:
Also, T_Smith: Star Trek the Motion Picture is a wonderful film. Second best in the series.

Despite what some people say, I thought First Contact was awesome. In fact, I'd place it right after Wrath of Kahn.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The Greatest Show on Earth won an Academy Award for Best Picture, way back in the early 50s. It beat films like Singin' in the Rain, Ivanhoe, Moulin Rouge, and High Noon.

In the years since, it's become incredibly clear that the Academy made a terrible mistake. This thing is a messy, silly, syrupy-goofy bizarre wreck.

It's also so enjoyably awful that it never fails to make me smile.

The terrible performances coaxed out of otherwise fine actors. The plot twists played so dead set serious that they cross a border and become high comedy. The train wreck. Dear me. The train wreck.

You must see this movie.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:

No, that was Galaxy Quest.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Evil Dead
Kickboxer
Bloodsport
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Independence Day (really, it's the soundtrack I can't resist)

There are others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Terminator 2? Terrible? Why?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Probably because of the annoying kid. Other than that, I'm at a loss.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Also, T_Smith: Star Trek the Motion Picture is a wonderful film.

In what sense?!?

I say this as a devout Trekkie: nuh-UH!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Heretic. Mutant. Xeno.
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
Terminator 2? Terrible? Why?

Furlong had a lot to do with it, yes. Horrible acting and cheese all around, though. Still, Linda and Arnold were pretty bad-ass, as well as the T1000 guy (don't know his name), and the effects for the time rocked.

So okay, maybe it doesn't quite qualify as terrible. Pretty bad, though. I'd lump it in with the likes of Transformers, except that T2 has that je ne sais pas that keeps it from being a total pile.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jhai and Shanna--Bring It On.

Why yes please I would like to watch some more cheerleaders.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
LOL.

I'm in the camp that says Hook is awesomely bad, not awesome period. But while we're on the topic of Hook: anyone know what "Bangarang" is actually supposed to signify? Is it just supposed to mean the same thing as "Boo-yah" or "You got pwned"?

Bangarang
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
quote:
Also, T_Smith: Star Trek the Motion Picture is a wonderful film.

In what sense?!?

I say this as a devout Trekkie: nuh-UH!

First, the visuals (not just the effects, but the cinematography) are fantastic. As is the soundtrack, best score of any Star Trek movie.

Second, most importantly, it's a rare and precious example of a sci fi movie where the central conflict is all about discovery. There's an actual scientific mystery that the Enterprise crew is trying to figure out, and the answer does not disappoint.

I can understand why some true Trekkies might like it less, since they probably saw the Nomad episode of TOS first and thus felt like the movie was somewhat derivative from it. But as a stand-alone movie, it's good in a way that very few movies are good. (For the same reason, I love Peter Hyams's 2010.)

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I can understand why some true Trekkies might like it less, since they probably saw the Nomad episode of TOS first and thus felt like the movie was somewhat derivative from it. But as a stand-alone movie, it's good in a way that very few movies are good.
Nomad has very little to do with why I dislike the movie. Most of his objections apply, though:
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/33905-star-trek-the-motion-picture

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Bangarang

[Smile]

Now I want to watch Hook again, and I just Netflixed it (again) a couple months ago.

Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/33905-star-trek-the-motion-picture

I really loved this review. His "cut" gag made me squirt milk out of my nose. At least, I hope that was milk. Come to think of it, I wasn't drinking milk at the time.

...I'm off to the doctor.

But before I go, I'll throw Equilibrium into the mix of great, terrible movies.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Double Dragon
Earth Girls are Easy

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ginol_Enam:
Speed Racer

The most faithful movie adaptation I've ever seen. Had the Star Wars Prequels stayed this true to their source material, George Lucas would be able to pay Bill Gates to shine his shoes.

It is, in all honesty, one of my all-time favorite movies.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But before I go, I'll throw Equilibrium into the mix of great, terrible movies.
Short of Tony Jaa or certain young Jackie Chan movies Equilibrium has some of the best choreography I have ever seen.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

Rivka, I hate to say it, but I couldn't stand that guy and his retinue, and had to stop the video after a couple minutes.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

There's an actual scientific mystery that the Enterprise crew is trying to figure out

"Big, scary thing approaching Earth! Our scanners are useless! It has nigh omnipotent, never explained powers based on whatever the plot requires! Woo!"

and the answer does not disappoint.

"It's a probe that was found by a never before mentioned world of sentient machines! They decided to make IT sentient! Just because! And being sentient made it HeckaCoolPowerful! Now it's back and it's TICKED. Unless it can "merge with the Creator". Get it? Merge? Because humans have feelings and machines don't!"

Man, it's like something a college kid cooked up after watching 4AM television after finishing an all-night shift at Arby's.

Destineer
Member # 821

Actually, it was Alan Dean Foster, and you can see his creative fingerprints all over the script.

There are a couple of awkward lines, mostly from Lt. Ilia, but overall I'd say it's the best script of the series.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

That film felt like a rehash of 2001: A Space Odyssey, except with Kirk instead of Dave. I'm not complaining, though. 2001 was a fantastic movie, but both films are definitely a product of their time.

To some, this results in making the film seem boring and long, but all of it makes sense if you really think about it. Star Wars had the market cornered with action space fantasy, so Trek had to take a more scientific approach to things. If you really watch the movie, it feels like the complete opposite if Star Wars.

Another key thing to remember about this Trek film is that it was less about the characters and more about the idea of discovering the unknown. The second film in the series, The Wrath of Kahn, is much more about the characters, which is probably why it is regarded as the best in the series.

Anyway, that's just what I think. I could be wrong.

Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that critic's voice is not only annoying, but he obviously has no idea what the movie is about. I got to the part where he trashes the Vulcan that isn't Spock and I closed it. We all know he is a stand in for Spock, the character knows it, and that is the point. Is a movie about getting stuck in the past just like the second is about fearing the future.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

Yeah, I stuck around long enough to see what he said about that transporter scene. I thought he inadvertently highlighted just how cool a scene it is. An incongruous moment of horror in the middle of a Star Trek story. I really admire them sticking something so jarring near the beginning of the film.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
how cool a scene it is.

*head asplode*

FYI, should you care to watch the last two or three minutes of the reviews, he sums up.

Destineer
Member # 821

I suspect this is just a case of us having different expectations for what the movie was supposed to deliver. I definitely respect it when a movie moves really smoothly, as the Abrams Star Trek did. But I also really like it when a movie throws something unexpected at me. The first time I saw the movie, I found that scene absolutely chilling, and that's held true across repeated viewings.
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
Wow, that critic's voice is not only annoying, but he obviously has no idea what the movie is about. I got to the part where he trashes the Vulcan that isn't Spock and I closed it. We all know he is a stand in for Spock, the character knows it, and that is the point. Is a movie about getting stuck in the past just like the second is about fearing the future.

No, this guy's voice is annoying. He's also, incidentally, the guy that the NC keep referring to as, "Yay, he hasn't shown up, yet!"
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.