FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Just about 10 years.

Author Topic: Just about 10 years.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Just about ten years ago, a friend of mine mentioned Ender's Game to me. I was 17 at the time. I checked it out of the school's library and read straight through it, and the Speaker books after. I don't remember at what point, but the books mentioned the Hatrack River forum and the community there, so being curious I decided to take a look. It was right after EnderCon had ended that I had decided to join.

Ten years, a few conventions, an interpretive dance or two, meeting Jamie, and marriage have brought me to where I am at this exact moment: watching my new baby son sleep (born at 11:18 pm, 6 lbs 13 oz, online alias is Skeletor). Hatrack, you have played a significant role in my life and while neither the first or only step to this point, I want to share my gratitude with you.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations. That is awesome. Go get 'im, Skeletor.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Tell Jamie Jenni and I wish you guys well, and are proud to know you both. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you met your wife here? Or was it at a convention?

And there was such a thing as Ender Con? Seriously? An entire convention for Ender's Game? What kind of events did they have?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan, you have to promise me to never actually age any more. I'm not sure I'm emotionally prepared for you to be thirty. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool] Welcome Skeletor.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:

And there was such a thing as Ender Con? Seriously? An entire convention for Ender's Game? What kind of events did they have?

Laser tag? Rose De Nose cosplayers walking around with an ipad attached to their crotch.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Nathan and Jamie!

I feel old now, too. I do find a little comfort in knowing that Tom is even older, though.

*whew*

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
And to answer the convention question: Yes, there was an EnderCon. It was not like ComicCon.

What I remember most were the readings, the trivia contest, and the stargazing. It was a lot of fun, and I hadn't even discovered Hatrack yet.

I believe Nathan and Jaime met at KamaCon, though...right?

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

quote:

I believe Nathan and Jaime met at KamaCon, though...right?

WenchCon II. She shoved me into the trunk of her rental car.

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Nathan, you have to promise me to never actually age any more. I'm not sure I'm emotionally prepared for you to be thirty. [Smile]

Heck, I'm not emotionally prepared to be either!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
T_Smith: Glad everything was fine! I only wish I'd come up with a clever gestational name for my son. I'll have to rectify that with the next one.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Many Congratulations [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurray for Skelator! Brand-new babies are distilled bundles of awesome.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:

It used to be fairly common to joke about the Cards running a matchmaking service.

How many Hatrack babies are we up to now? I can think of seven off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure I'm missing some.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, congrats!

Please perform an interpretive dance to welcome your son to the world. Either you or he needs to be wearing orange tights.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Nathan!

And dang, you old!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to the whole family. He chose well. [Smile]
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie and Nathan, I'm so thrilled that you guys are starting a family. Skeletor is going to be awesome.
Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
What a lovely baby. (I mean it - I don't find all babies adorable, but that one really is).

Congrats. [Smile]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on Skeletor!

My second child was gestationally named "W" because if she turned out to be boy, the name would be Wyatt, but since she is a girl she is Winter.

Cute baby!

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rav
Member # 7595

- posted      Profile for rav           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
I fondly remember meeting both of you around that same time. I'm happy for you guys!

Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, T_Smith and mack!

Endercon was in 2000. There was also a concert by Janis Ian. I think of it not so much as a smallish con, but as the book signing to end all book signings.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Endercon was in 2000.

I thought it was 2002.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Endercon was in 2000.

I thought it was 2002.
It was.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.