FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Jan Berenstain dies at 88

Author Topic: Jan Berenstain dies at 88
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/arts/jan-berenstain-dies-at-88-created-berenstain-bears.html?_r=1&hpw

Good bye and farewell!

Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Those two really helped some good memories for (I would imagine) a great many of us. My father read those books with me and my siblings, and then we read them to each other.

Just a couple of nites ago, my three year old asked me for a story, and for the first time I chose to read him a Berenstein Bears book, and he couldn't get enough. We started with "Weekend at Grandma's", moving on to "Trouble With Money", and finally "The In Crowd".

He loves them, and I will certainly be fostering that as long as he enjoys them.

For me though "No Girls Allowed" is still the favorite. That was one sweet clubhouse [Razz]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The Berenstain Bears were a huge part of my learning to read, and I'm sure they affected my development of a system of ethics.

I've always felt gratitude those books exist, they are fantastic reading for small children.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZachC
Member # 12709

- posted      Profile for ZachC   Email ZachC         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a loss. I now need to reread all of them. Every one.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
my fav was the one in the haunted tree or something
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
The Spooky Old Tree?

A classic!

Ah, wow, this takes me back. How sad. [Frown]

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is still "Inside, Outside, Upside Down" just because I was so delighted with the rhythm of it.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Many new books are co-written with her son, and are marketed to the Christian Bookstore set, FYI (her son is a born-again Christian).

That said, the ones I had growing up were great.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how many of these books I read as a kid! I was always pretty jealous of that awesome treehouse.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I was always pretty jealous of that awesome treehouse.

The treehouse I had (before we moved) was pretty cool, but not nearly as cool as theirs.

OTOH, I could get AWAY from my parents in mine. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.