FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Suggesting products on a discussion board

Author Topic: Suggesting products on a discussion board
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I have become enamored with a apparel company over the last few months due to their innovation, quality production and how useful the items I have purchased are on a day to day basis. In addition to buying two items I took advantage of a sale and got my brother one as well. I know I am being vague but I have a good reason.

In referring friends and family I considered sharing my impression and a link with everyone at hatrack, and hesitated. We argue in circles about the big ticket controversies, share experiences and media but I wonder if it would be impolite to essentially advertise on a discussion board.

I have no stock in anything related to this company or their products, nothing to gain and nothing to lose. I simply have become a fan of the apparel they offer and think a lot of hatrackers would appreciate them as well.

So is suggesting a product that I have personally used and like spam? or is it the same as friends and acquaintances sharing referrals in everyday life?

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
OSC does this on a regular basis in his reviews, doesn't he? And I don't see that it's much different from sharing a review of a media product (books, films, etc).
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, you're an established member. If you've waited over three years just to make a spam post now, I'd rather it be left untouched as a monument to your dedication.

I come to Hatrack because the group here has pretty good opinions on movies, television, gaming, and other forms of media. I don't see why I would have an issue with an established member giving a positive review for something they enjoy so long as the product in question doesn't violate the site's rules on obscene or vulgar content.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing wrong with referencing products you personally have found useful so long as it's contained to one thread. If somebody specifically requests for suggestions on products that do X, I have no problem with a thread being created and people responding.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
My sentiments exactly, I just wanted to be courteous and cautious in case others felt it to be unfavorable.

So the product that prompted this is Scottevest, a company built on the principle of designing clothing with the intention of using it in tandem with common devices. Scottevest holds the patent for clothing designed to be wired with earbuds in the collar that connect to almost all pockets in say a jacket with 18 pockets. Lots of jackets for different purposes (cold and hot weather, replacing carry-on luggage with a coat, even one designed with easy fire-arm carry) and a growing collection of fashionable coats and hoodies for women with plenty of pockets and colors.

Scott Jordan was a lawyer who felt that the clothing available didn't reflect all the various devices that we all carry on a regular basis, cellphones and music players to netbooks and ipads his jackets and vests allow modern people to carry our tech without carrying around bags or looking like pillow-cases filled with rocks. Scottevest always designs their products with discretion and comfort in mind, you can even find videos online of nerdy persons unloading their overly stuffed scottevest's. All the pockets are layered so they don't bulge, and the pockets are all on a separate fabric on the inside suspended from the top to keep the exterior of the jacket from sagging and to distribute weight better.

At the beginning of winter I ordered the cotton hoodie and was really impressed. Thirteen pockets overall (understand that Scottevest's definition of pocket can be somewhat liberal) two breast pockets on either side and magnetic closures on the hand-warmer pockets to secure whatever you put inside made it my everyday use item. Always having my earbuds on hand and in a very convenient and never tangled way is nice, you never know when your gonna be left with nothing to do for a while and any smart-phone can connect to pandora so I always have distracting music on hand.

I recently got my brother a hoodie in the other color.

I live in Arizona, and as light as the hoodie is, it is a bit warm to wear during a Sonoran summer. So I ordered the Tropical Jacket that is meant for hot weather, its inside is lined with mesh and the overall jacket is extremely thin. A total of eighteen pockets with one big enough to accommodate an ipad and breast pockets with a clear touch fabric that you can see through and operate a touch phone through, when I displayed all these pockets to my mother she said it wasn't a jacket but a purse. The sleeves zipper off (you wouldn't know by looking at it) and stow away in a pocket on the back and the whole thing can actually neatly pack into the same back pouch. Plus, Adam West has one. I have the same jacket as Batman, that has got to worth something.

There are a bunch of testimonials on the Scottevest site about how useful the products are for hiking, working out and even traveling through airport security is made easier when all you have to do is send your jacket through the x-ray. There are also several video diaries of people traveling the world over with no baggage, only Scottevest products to keep their essential items. I hope this interests some of you, and does not annoy anyone.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the jacket that folds into itself. I've been trying to find a lightweight jacket that I can take hiking with me when I go on vacation in a couple months that will fit into the small camera backpack I've been eying.

I think the price will be a deal breaker though. Still, interesting products.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

If you keep an eye on the site just about everything can be found for twenty percent off eventually. I haven't bought anything from them yet for full price, but after owning two items I think they are good enough quality for the price and there are plenty jackets and hoodies with similar prices that are hardly as useful.

Edit to add.
There is also this Pack Windbreaker for a bit less than the Tropical Jacket and it also packs into a tiny bundle, but depending on the person you may find it less useful beyond hiking.

[ March 05, 2012, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a jacket that folded into itself. Unfortunately it did it while I was wearing it, and I was transported to a strange dimension where the rules of logic do not apply.

I'm still trying to find a way out of here.

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Look on the bright side, wherever you are the wifi is still working. It could be worse.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.