FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Charter communications -rage

Author Topic: Charter communications -rage
Rawrain
Member # 12414

- posted      Profile for Rawrain   Email Rawrain         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of companies do many things that don't make sense, but charter sticks out brown as a tree. Your maximum use of service is based on your credit history (I have none, because I don't take loans nor do I see a need to do so)...

So I am unable to get 15meg internet service because I have no credit... now it may seem like charter's covering it's ass from non-payers but all bills are payed in advance, I payed my bill today so a month from now I'd have to pay it again to continue service if I don't I'd be disconnected, therefore charter would never be at a loss and is digging around my empty credit history for no reason... :wallbash: think I should contact a representative and give them a good ol' rage speech similar to the one here, I hear if you complain enough they'll bend over backwards for ya..

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd get further by talking about the issue with them rather than raging. The people you speak to didn't set the policy, and if there SI wiggle room in the policy you are more likely to alienate them and not get the results you want by yelling or acting like a douche.

A well constructed argument might convince their supervisor to help if he can. Yelling at his subordinates reinforces the fact that they probably don't want you as a customer....and acting that way WILL be noted in your file.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea is mostly right.

I mean, yeah, squeaky wheels really do get the grease. But the most effective form of squeaking is calm, unyielding, demanding requests. If you take your anger out on the people you're talking to, then don't want to go to bat for you.

And when they take your issue to a supervisor, believe me, the extent to which they are willing to bat for you has a huge impact on whether or not their supervisor will give a crap. With exceptions, of course.

As an aside, the one place I have to disagree with Kwea: Although some employees do put comments on customer accounts to the effect your talking about, many companies have explicit policies against that sort of behavior, and they delete those comments when they are found.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Develop a credit history.

Please understand, I know where you're coming from. I hate the idea of having a credit card, even one I almost never use. I think the amount of weight placed in credit history in the U.S. is absurd. I can rant for hours about how the casual acceptance of debt is destroying our society.

But the fact remains that it's the society we've got, and it's only going to get harder to navigate without credit as you go on. Even getting a credit card without previously established credit becomes harder the older you are; credit companies are used to teens without credit histories but suspicious of adults that have evaded the system.

So go forth, get a credit card, and use it. Even if you only buy a packet of gum once a month and then stick it in the drawer the rest of the time, it will at least get you in the system. And everything is easier once you're there. Sucks, but it's true.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
The "casual" acceptance of debt is not a new thing.

An objective analysis pretty clearly shows that at various times throughout history the average person ended up far, far more indebted than people today. It just didn't take the form of a credit card bill or loan you have to make payments towards, so we have a hard time viscerally identifying it with "debt" as we know it.

It was, though. And it was worse.

If debt were going to destroy society, it would be destroyed already.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:

If debt were going to destroy society, it would be destroyed already.

Pick a 24 hour news network, and watch it all crumble [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.