FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Learning to Write Code (Java / C++)

Author Topic: Learning to Write Code (Java / C++)
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
So, I need to learn Java (and possibly C++) on my own time to prep for my next degree. I have a good amount of DOS / UNIX / SNMP scripting background, as well as some Basic / HTML, so I'm not a COMPLETE neophyte. My question is, what's the best / fastest way to learn?

I understand that I'll need to learn syntax, and that I'll actually just have to start writing code to build proficiency. Are there any great books that will simplify the process? Are there any good software tutorial packages?

Any advice, general or specific, would be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind a little silliness in your learning efforts, I highly recommend the Head First series of books.

I was already highly proficient with Java when that book came out, so I don't own it, but I've used other Head First books to great effect.

Definitely start with the syntax and simple stuff, but if you are looking to go into the industry as a Java developer, I can't stress enough the importance of understanding good object oriented design principles. Most Java programmers I know, even "senior software engineers", absolutely stink at object oriented design. Its not a big deal if you aren't looking to make a career out of it, but thought I'd mention it.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone has a favorite book. I learned programming via C++ and loved this one (they make a similar one for Java I believe). My advice would be to just get a book that is a basic, all inclusive type (e.g. not "algorithms and data structures in Java") and just work through it. I don't know that there's a way to simplify it other than just writing the code. I don't think there's shortcuts to this kind of thing.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Will the Head First books give a good overview of object oriented design? There seem to be some textbooks on the subject. . . .
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Effective Java for explaining object oriented design. It's a more advanced book and you're going to want to learn the language first, but I think it's worth tackling once you find your initial footing.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
In just about any major bookstore there should be a "learn X in 60 Days" book that should work, plus any number of reference manuals, and possibly C++ for dummies.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.