FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's just a phase! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: It's just a phase!
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha.

I actually paused my podcast expecting that to be, in fact, a video of you responding.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this guy knows how you feel.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
afr is spot on, although I wonder if I will feel that way with my children when it comes to religion, as I don't have one. I imagine if they grew up to be staunch religious people it would hurt me deeply as I will be encouraging them to seek their own answers, find their own truths and not to accept any one belief as the only truth.

I would think that any parent who has invested time and care in the upbringing of their kids would be hurt and disappointed if their kids chose a path that seemed to leave behind what they had been taught. That's certainly not limited to staunchly religious homes or religious teaching period. Like it or not, we are practically all of us busy directing how we hope our kids will conduct their lives.

I wanted to echo Porter, though: by no means is my love for my kids dependent on such choices--and that explains the hopes I will always have for them.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm certain that I don't. Please explain.
You asked,

quote:
Does there come a point when your parents no longer think your religious or political views are 'just a phase' that you're going to grow out of?
What's the difference between this and you expecting/hoping that your mother will eventually get over wanting you to accept Jesus?

Look at the situation from her point. She believes that if you don't eventually accept Jesus, you will suffer eternal torment. She's your Mom so I presume that if she believes that you will suffer eternal torment it would cause her a great deal of despair. Her options are either despair, continue believing/hoping you will ultimately accept Jesus, stop believing that you must accept Jesus to avoid eternal condemnation, or cease to care about whether you suffer.

Unless you are hoping your Mom will eventually stop caring about you or that she will sink into a state of permanent dispair, you question is no different from asking whether your Mother's belief in the necessity of accepting Jesus is just a phase she will eventually out grow.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
What's the difference between this and you expecting/hoping that your mother will eventually get over wanting you to accept Jesus?

I think the difference is the 'just a phase' mentality.

I'm not objecting, necessarily, to her desire to have me re-convert to Catholicism. I'm objecting to the mindset that I'm still a child following a fad, and that I haven't given my position much thought, and will 'go back to normal' once I do.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.