FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Worst job you've ever had? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Worst job you've ever had?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I am shocked that people would need to study for the ASVAB. I took it at 19 and scored in the 99th percentile. Which, I was reminded by the recruiter, is the highest score there is. I was dumbfounded that people FAIL that thing. But apparently it's quite common.

I don't regret my decision not to go into the Navy, though.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
If it has any math on it, it'd probably crush me.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I found the math portion laughably easy. But then I went to school and took five calculuses, so YMMV.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I haven't had a math class since 11th grade. My GRE math grade suggests I'd have to do some studying.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I had a job where I could set up my headphones and listen to music while I worked washing dishes.

But on the other hand it was really dangerous having to go up and down the stairs to get the dishes and I fell once or twice, additionally the place was going out of business so I couldn't get paid in a timely manner.

On the other hand the next place I worked while it paid on time didn't let me listen to music generally. So I hated it far more.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to teach in the favelas (slums) here in Rio de Janeiro. The kids were great, and I do not regret the time I spent there, but it was tough. I had to flee from shootings, had guns pointed at me, was punched by an angry parent holding said gun... yeah. Years after I left, I was accused of becoming a "softie" because I'd rather be a College Professor than going back.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I had a job where I could set up my headphones and listen to music while I worked washing dishes.

But on the other hand it was really dangerous having to go up and down the stairs to get the dishes and I fell once or twice, additionally the place was going out of business so I couldn't get paid in a timely manner.

On the other hand the next place I worked while it paid on time didn't let me listen to music generally. So I hated it far more.

If I hadn't been allowed to listen to music while doing food prep, I would have quit a long time ago. I actually loved coming in in the morning for food prep with my mp3 player. Super easy money. Made being on my feet for 14 hours a lot more tolerable.

Eduardo -

You're obviously a big wimp. [Wink]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah pretty much, let me listen to music and I'll food prep all day within reason.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by I Used to Be a Drummer:
Almost any call center, especially ones that are 3rd-party vendors, where your employer is contracted by another company to handle their customer service calls.

This was my worst job. The training was terrible and there was not enough support once we got out on the floor, so I ended up being one of those idiots you call for help with your cell phone plan or bundling or a wireless connection issue or what have you who clearly doesn't know what she's talking about. I quit after about a week because I could tell I was going to have an ulcer before I got past the learning curve, even though I desperately needed a job.

First world problems for sure. But I hated that job more than some of the dishroom/cafeteria type jobs I held in college. Some of you have really had a rough go of it, I feel very lucky!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.