FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » google's augmented reality glasses

Author Topic: google's augmented reality glasses
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/04/google-begins-testing-its-augmented-reality-glasses/

quote:
The prototype version Google showed off on Wednesday looked like a very polished and well-designed pair of wrap-around glasses with a clear display that sits above the eye. The glasses can stream information to the lenses and allow the wearer to send and receive messages through voice commands. There is also a built-in camera to record video and take pictures.
Or just watch the video

So this looks pretty awesome. There's even a bit in the article about a version that uses contact lenses instead glasses. Sign me up.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe it will work as smoothly as it appears to in the video (I mean, my iPhone 4S doesn't even work that well).

But still... damn. The future is here.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I'm having flashbacks to the Power Glove.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some Guy On Youtube Said:
Would this product be available to non-New-York-hipsters as well?

[ROFL]

Seriously though, that does look pretty awesome. I'm flashing back to Power Glove too. Also Adobe's video on their content-aware-fill (hint: it's not all that content-aware.)

But even so, it has amazing potential. I've been doing some work with an eye-tracking market research team and that piece of the technology is damn near up to this type of thing already.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I would seriously consider becoming an early adopter, depending on exactly what you could do with those.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
I would seriously consider becoming an early adopter, depending on exactly what you could do with those.

Ditto. Being able to snap photos on demand just by looking is something I've wanted to do since I was a child. I hate carrying cameras around, and trying to set them up.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Wouldn't like my glasses recording everything I look at, though. I'd hate to record a pit stop and then accidentally send it to my circle.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be pretty poor design. Though Google most likely would secretly record things at intermittent periods so as to sell that information to other companies, and for developing internal marketing strategies.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Oh come on, AFR, it wouldn't be so bad considering all your friends would probably be doing it too.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Between this and the self-driving car, Google is architecting our future.

We won't need Facebook. We can just have a drunken escapade through the city, social-networking in real life.

Now they just need to invent some sort of automated babysitter. . . .

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
That would be pretty poor design. Though Google most likely would secretly record things at intermittent periods so as to sell that information to other companies, and for developing internal marketing strategies.
Like "Average number of times mens' eyes wander per minute." They could sell the data to bra and jean manufacturers. [Razz]

quote:
Oh come on, AFR, it wouldn't be so bad considering all your friends would probably be doing it too.
"45 seconds! New record, Bob! Hey, maybe you need to think about cutting back on the Dew?"
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
http://inventors.about.com/od/tstartinventions/a/Television_Time.htm
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Its pretty cool technology but watching the video gave me a headache. Not sure I like the idea of notifications popping up in my peripheral vision.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It's more a demonstration of concept than an actual promo.

It centers around what developers and technologists see as the likely paradigm for 5G and 6G telecommunications. You essentially live in a world where apps and social media have a constant background presence. Presence and telepresence will start to align more and more seemlessly, and various processes will start to lose physical form entirely, for instance, public transportation ticketing, physical cash, business cards, most other documentation. There will be a virtual space that is equally or better capable of handling information transfer and storage than the physical.

The obvious advantage of this sort of implementation is that a lot of background information will be accessible through a more immediate and intuitive filter. For instance: you approach a metro station: looking at this location, you instruct your Siri equivalent PA app to search for apps relating to this location. The PA registers, through the glasses, a barcode emblazoned on the metro sign for an informational app maintained by municipal transportation, downloads it, and automatically incorporates the information it provides into its own responses. Different informational sources or apps would offer your PA an index of available services, and your PA would choose how to present this information based on the needs you express.

Also, your PA would offer information to these sources for indexing, for example: traffic apps would be updated by your own PA about how many cars are traveling on a particular street, or a coffee or to-go order could be prepared and timed according to your progress towards the pick-up location, so that an intermediary app maintained by Starbucks could cause a drink order to be started at your command, apprx. 2 minutes before you arrive at the given shop. The implications are fairly wide, but essentially everything this technology does is to save time and complication. Imagine arriving at a restaurant, and knowing the location of your table, and having your drink order triggered automatically by your arrival. Or flying to a strange city, and having your rental car waiting at a cue the moment you walk out of the gate, getting in and activating the car without even having to check in at a desk.

[ April 05, 2012, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
A slightly less ukuleles-at-sunset version of what life with Google Goggles might be like.
quote:
Scott asks what it will be like to waft down the street and face messages that strike you in the face. Not like billboards and bus shelter ads that sit there quietly, only noticeable if you turn your head and choose to notice. No, like billboards and bus shelters that fly in noisily and make you bump into people larger than yourself.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
ha!
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Parts of this look pretty cool.

But I wouldn't want a camera on it. I think that would be a deal breaker for me.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

It's more a demonstration of concept than an actual promo.

It centers around what developers and technologists see as the likely paradigm for 5G and 6G telecommunications. You essentially live in a world where apps and social media have a constant background presence. Presence and telepresence will start to align more and more seemlessly, and various processes will start to lose physical form entirely, for instance, public transportation ticketing, physical cash, business cards, most other documentation. There will be a virtual space that is equally or better capable of handling information transfer and storage than the physical.

The obvious advantage of this sort of implementation is that a lot of background information will be accessible through a more immediate and intuitive filter. For instance: you approach a metro station: looking at this location, you instruct your Siri equivalent PA app to search for apps relating to this location. The PA registers, through the glasses, a barcode emblazoned on the metro sign for an informational app maintained by municipal transportation, downloads it, and automatically incorporates the information it provides into its own responses. Different informational sources or apps would offer your PA an index of available services, and your PA would choose how to present this information based on the needs you express.

Also, your PA would offer information to these sources for indexing, for example: traffic apps would be updated by your own PA about how many cars are traveling on a particular street, or a coffee or to-go order could be prepared and timed according to your progress towards the pick-up location, so that an intermediary app maintained by Starbucks could cause a drink order to be started at your command, apprx. 2 minutes before you arrive at the given shop. The implications are fairly wide, but essentially everything this technology does is to save time and complication. Imagine arriving at a restaurant, and knowing the location of your table, and having your drink order triggered automatically by your arrival. Or flying to a strange city, and having your rental car waiting at a cue the moment you walk out of the gate, getting in and activating the car without even having to check in at a desk.

Sounds great for Manhattanite jet-setters. I live in a town of 50,000 in the middle of nowhere, have essentially one route to work and back, have a 4-block square downtown to navigate on the very infrequent chance that I am downtown, and am not flying to different cities on a regular basis. I love the idea of a heads-up display coupled with 5G network, but I don't think most of the goodies in this concept demo would be useful or even available to me. I actually find it a little disappointing to see the glasses used as essentially a social networking and GPS navigating help.

I'll have to reread some of the SF novels I've read with more interesting applications of this kind of technology. I dunno. Maybe I'd have no use for those glasses, as much as I like the idea of them.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Obviously the strategy would be to develop this kind of tech for areas of high population density. And naturally targeting those early adopters who will make the technology look "cool" and relate it to a hip and modern lifestyle. Technology like this, as is true for a lot of technology, not just communication tech, is often developed with urban environments in mind. There are more obvious applications, more adopters, and a better environment for development. You're not a likely first adopter, and anyway, the applications you would be likely to use wouldn't be contained in a first release of such a product.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

If the technology is basically a glorified Google Maps and Twitter, then yeah, it's optimized for city dwellers and that's who will plunk down money for it.

If they want to do something more on the order of the iPod or iPhone, they'll make it something that people suddenly can't live without no matter where they live.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
A slightly less ukuleles-at-sunset version of what life with Google Goggles might be like.
quote:
Scott asks what it will be like to waft down the street and face messages that strike you in the face. Not like billboards and bus shelter ads that sit there quietly, only noticeable if you turn your head and choose to notice. No, like billboards and bus shelters that fly in noisily and make you bump into people larger than yourself.

This is a lot closer to the way I imagine it would actually work.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
If the technology is basically a glorified Google Maps and Twitter, then yeah, it's optimized for city dwellers and that's who will plunk down money for it.

If they want to do something more on the order of the iPod or iPhone, they'll make it something that people suddenly can't live without no matter where they live.

Well yeah the concept video version seemed to be integrated with things like a camera, music, and some sort of email/text messaging system, and those seem like they'd be handy for everybody.

But I largely agree with Orincoro, this sort of thing is just going to have a lot more obvious and easily integrated app ideas for urban users. G

PS, Yelp, and many other common smartphone apps are all things I use vastly more living in the Bay Area than I did living in rural Arizona.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's on AT&Ts network, it needs to included the "wait 25 minutes while loading a webpage" feature. That's an important one.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
quote:

Well yeah the concept video version seemed to be integrated with things like a camera, music, and some sort of email/text messaging system, and those seem like they'd be handy for everybody.

But I largely agree with Orincoro, this sort of thing is just going to have a lot more obvious and easily integrated app ideas for urban users. G

PS, Yelp, and many other common smartphone apps are all things I use vastly more living in the Bay Area than I did living in rural Arizona.

I can see targeting young, hip urbanites as a marketing strategy. But if that's all the thing gives you until version 3.0, Google is suffering from some serious lack of vision.
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
quote:

That was a great video, thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
quote:

Yeah, AFR, from the video it seems more like a general iphone like device integrated into a pair of glasses. I don't think you need to be in a large urban area to take advantage of any of those features. In fact, I do live in a relatively large urban area and I don't really have a need for the types of things Orincoro brings up, though I totally understand how cool they would be for someone like him to have.
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been dreaming of this idea for years. I'm glad someone finally caught on to the possibility. I mean, I already wear glasses all the time. Why not make my glasses a computer? Why not make the lenses a screen?

And if you think people walking around talking on their headsets seems schizophrenic... Just imagine people walking around and watching YouTube videos and laughing. The world will have gone mad.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But if that's all the thing gives you until version 3.0, Google is suffering from some serious lack of vision.
[Laugh] I see what you did there.
Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

[Wink]
shadowland
Member # 12366

- posted      Profile for shadowland   Email shadowland         Edit/Delete Post 
As impressive as this appears, I would hardly have a use for this technology during my regular daily life. The frequency of my electronic communication is not nearly high enough to warrant having an interface attached to my head. I wouldn't need it while working (my employer probably wouldn't like it either) or during my commute. I would maybe use it a few times a day. And with the current state of battery technology, constantly recharging a device that I seldom use would be a nonstarter for me.

However, this would be great to use while travelling.

Oh, and regarding the camera, I imagine that if this were integrated with Google's ongoing work on image identification, it would have to always be on and always be streaming content to Google's servers.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Like Orincoro said, it's more a demonstration of concept than an actual promo.

Not even what one could call a prototype -- it doesn't work at all -- but rather a model of what a prototype would look like along with a video containing CGI of how it would work IF Google had its druthers.
Unfortunately, Google doesn't currently have the technical expertise to make a working prototype.
And even more unfortunately, reporters bought Google's marketing hoax as a new product introduction.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

Not sure where you got that info, aspectre, sources are saying that there is a working prototype. Google co-founder Sergey Brin has been spotted wearing one around town.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2012/0406/Project-Glass-taken-out-for-test-run-by-Google-co-founder-report

Not to say that a prototype isn't a long way from a finished commercial product. The real question, is can / will Apple make a competitive / imitative product faster?

[ April 06, 2012, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Aros ]

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowland
Member # 12366

- posted      Profile for shadowland   Email shadowland         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
Google co-founder Sergey Brin has been spotted wearing one around town.

Yeah
Posts: 161 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

quote:
Originally posted by shadowland:
As impressive as this appears, I would hardly have a use for this technology during my regular daily life. The frequency of my electronic communication is not nearly high enough to warrant having an interface attached to my head.

I'm kind of seeing this as an answer to the smartphone, replacing a lot of the web experience. Games, news, Facebook, etc. Quick searches. It might sure beat walking down the street with a phone in your hand.

I'd really like to see a Kindle app for it.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Not sure where you got that info, aspectre, sources are saying that there is a working prototype. Google co-founder Sergey Brin has been spotted wearing one around town.

Nobody said there aren't any prototypes, the point is, this is clearly not yet a *product* as much as a project. And the video is thus not a promo, but a demo of concept. A slick cgi based video tells you nothing about where the UI and the technical details actually are right now. One suspects that if they approached the refinement present in the video, this would be a product on the verge of launching. There are not even clear signs that this will be a google produced consumer product. Keep in mind, IBM produced not entirely dissimilar promos over a decade go for the "it's coming" IBM image campaign, which. That also involved a wearable voice activated computer. This is not a new concept- but google taking ownership of the idea itself is important, from a publicity and marketing perspective.
aspectre
Member # 2222

"Not sure where you got that info, aspectre, sources are saying that there is a working prototype. Google co-founder Sergey Brin has been spotted wearing one around town."

Nope. Near as I can tell the "prototype" is at best essentially equivalent to a BlueToothed dumb terminal (video monitor and keyboard). With a (near)BlueTooth acting in the manner of a cable connecting the dumb terminal to the computer room like they did way back in times BC*. With the former computer room now being an internet-connected personal computer separate from the "prototype". With a mini-LCD as the video-monitor and voice-activated circuitry as the keyboard.
And the above description is an at best one. I suspect Brin was interacting full time with Google personnel running the system as he walked, and not merely interacting with just a computer or some computers.

While I've read many articles that led me to believe that the reporter thought s/he was seeing an actual prototype, none of them actually wore the "prototype". None made mention of enough specifics to make me think that the "prototype" was anything other that a I-wish-I-could concept-demo: which is not a tech-demo. And what specifics there were, such as direct quotes from those making the demonstrations, make me think in terms of a "BlueToothed dumb terminal".

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'd be google-eyed with surprise if I were.

* Before(personal)Computers

[ May 10, 2012, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd really like to see a Kindle app for it.

Because what we need is more people walking down the street reading books? I can see the lawsuits now.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Eh, who knows? They said the same things about the walkman way back in 1979.
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, plenty of people have managed to injure themselves and/or others because they are distracted by their headphones. And eyes are more essential when walking along than ears.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Personally, I rely mainly on smell. But then, this is central Europe we're talking about...
rivka
Member # 4859

With my allergies, that wouldn't work for me.
aspectre
Member # 2222

Tests in anechoic chambers have shown that many people experience some degree of vertigo when they can't hear their surroundings as they walk.

[ April 06, 2012, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Interesting. I walk almost nowhere without earbuds in, but in large crowds, I usually pop one out and loosen the other. I do sometimes experience some vertigo- but never connected it to that.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Huh.

I've never experienced vertigo when walking with earphones on. I don't do it all that often, though.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.