FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Djohariah, Or, How I Fell in Love with Sufjan Stevens, Or, Eclectic Music is Tight

Author Topic: Djohariah, Or, How I Fell in Love with Sufjan Stevens, Or, Eclectic Music is Tight
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
I just discovered this song. I love it. It is seventeen minutes long. It is all over the place. It is brilliant. I don't care that it takes forever to listen to.

This is after having purchased his Illinois, Michigan, and Seven Swans albums last summer. His stuff is all over the place, but it's a graceful sort of chaos that culminates in something sweet and sobering.

I want more. What should I look into? Also, please share your opinion on Sufjan. I think he's brilliant.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
Listen to the whole Age of Adz album really loud in headphones. You're welcome.
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently been listening to Of Monsters & Men, Fleet Foxes, Jack's Mannequin (which is actually probably closer to piano pop), and Fiona Apple. In some ways, they take cues from folk and blues in similar yet different ways than Sufjan Stevens. He's a hard artist to which to find a proper analog due mostly to the playful exchange between his music and his lyrics. But if you're looking for some mellow music in that ballpark, then I'd certainly suggest the above artists (with Fiona Apple probably being the most "aggressive" of the ones I listed).

And if you've already heard of those artists, then I hope my foolishness won't degrade my recommendations as being valid to anyone else who might find they sound interesting.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Sufjan live a couple times - years ago, granted - and I was pretty impressed. I managed to bum a couple of his albums from my sister, who really adores his music, and it's definitely eclectic and good. His Christmas EPs are stunningly good, as well.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Sufjan is totally awesome.

For a long time I refused to get into Indie music because I refuse to subscribe to the belief that just because no mainstream record labels wanted to publish it it must be brilliant. There is plenty of crap that no one wanted to publish for perfectly legitimate reasons. Also, I was a counter-snob snob.

But my fiancé has gotten me into some of his favorite Indie bands that I must admit are great.

Some that I particularly enjoy:
St. Vincent (she was a backup singer for Sufjan)
Fleet Foxes
Vampire Weekend (brilliant for totally different reasons, mostly involving African guitar, but still brilliant)
Atlas Sound
The Shins
MGMT

... on another sort of vibe, more folky, is my favorite little local duo, Storyhill - look them up on Spotify. I single-handedly landed them a spot on Prairie Home Companion (no, seriously. I was in the right place at the right time) and I really hope their national fan base is growing.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.