FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Severe weather day for the Plains

Author Topic: Severe weather day for the Plains
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Extreme weather conditions across the Plains today with high chances of tornadoes.

I normally don't take these things seriously, maybe that's a product of growing up in an area without much chance of wild weather, but the warnings are coming quickly, and weather people are pretty excited about this.

After seeing Belle's posts awhile back about the tornadoes in Alabama, I'm keeping a closer eye on things than I normally would.

Is anyone else in the danger zone? Keep your head down today!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
We've had pretty intense thunderstorms here the past few days, and it's supposed to continue until tomorrow at least. But I live in Missouri, and it's starting to be that time of year. It's almost weirder if we go very long without thunderstorms or tornado activity.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

We made it through the first little storm. Reports say that the storm 50 miles northwest of us was getting SOFTBALL sized hail for seven solid minutes. The storm has moved on to Omaha and into Iowa now and continues to be strong.

Meanwhile a big cell over Kansas just crossed into Nebraska and is headed right for us. The Weather Channel has been squawking for hours about how the finger of God is on the way, so we'll see what happens. I just heard the first rumbles of thunder in the distance.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Praying for everyone to stay safe. Alabama has experienced its share of severe weather in the last year, so I know how it feels.

I am actually following the event on the internet, it looks really nasty. Stay safe!!! Please let us know that you are okay when it is all over, okay?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The big cell that came through a couple hours ago mostly missed us to the south. A couple of the cells that produced tornadoes in Kansas are headed our way right now.

National Weather Service extended our tornado watch to 2am. Flood warnings, which are a new one to me, have been blaring all over the place. Lots of local creeks and storm drains are overflowing. About 50 miles north of here there's a city in NE that had terrible flooding, a few feet worth, AND softball sized hail. Bad combination. But we've really lucked out. Nothing but heavy rainfall so far.

Looks like four more hours and we're out of the woods.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Sirens went off a few times. I've never seen lightning like that in my entire life. Nothing ended up happening though. Funnel cloud was spotted 6 miles west of my apartment, but it never touched down. Wish I'd stay in my apartment and grabbed my camera. Alas.
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
Being in Oklahoma, I've been hearing about these storms for the past week or so. Forunately for me, the storms have mostly missed my neck of the woods. Friday's storms kind of split and hit north and south of me, but I didn't get anything worse than a few minutes heavy rain. We were dreading today's storm, but its been actually a pretty day here except for a lot of wind. I guess there's a line of storms heading our way now, though.

I feel really bad for Kansas, though. They just got hammered from what I could tell. My boss kind of frustrated me. He was making fun of the weathermen and how they were "wrong" since we didn't get any storms, but he was completely disregarding the events in Kansas.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you all make it okay?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.