Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Avengers (Spoilers within) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Avengers (Spoilers within)
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure there's a topic about this already, somewhere in the bowels of this forum, but I thought since reviews have already started to surface, we might as well talk about it.

Rotten Tomatoes currently has it at a 96%, which is pretty good for 27 reviews. IGN posted a review, which is how I first discovered that the movie had already been screened.

Very slight SPOILERS below (from the reviews):

According to some, the Hulk is one of the best parts of the film. Other areas of interest are the writing, the action, the sets, and the dialogue. However, with Joss Whedon directing and writing, we all kind of expected the dialogue to be awesome, so that part might not be so surprising. What is surprising, for me at least, is the part about the Hulk. Black Widow apparently also has some solid scenes, which are supposed to be much more fulfilling than her stint in Iron Man 2 (which felt forced, if you ask me).

I'm really excited, possibly moreso than before, now that I know they've done justice by the Hulk. His last film was solid, but I still didn't feel like he received the best treatment. It's good to hear that he now has something solid behind him.

According to some other reviews, Hawkeye didn't get much to work with, which is kind of sad, but I expected as much, considering the fact that he hasn't been in any of the other movies (other than that 5 second cameo in Thor). Hopefully they expand on him in a sequel (or give him his own franchise).

Just 11 more days!

[ May 01, 2012, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Jeff C. ]

Posts: 1322 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just eleven days you say? JUST ELEVEN DAYS!!!

Eleven more days, and then about a month for Batman. After that... do we even need comic book movies anymore? it seems like the bar has been raised higher and higher, Spiderman just can't keep up.

Posts: 2297 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also heard they were able to do a lot more with The Hulk in this movie succesfully than they faltered in doing in his previous big screen outings, and that pleases me quite a bit. The Hulk/Bruce Banner is a much more complex character than most people assume, so I'm glad they were able to give him some depth in this one. Though, as you said, I expected nothing less from a Joss Whedon script.

As for Hawkeye, I've felt since they began advertising The Avengers that his character has been nothing but tacked on in every sense of the word. His cameo in the Thor movie didn't really contribute much to the film, so I wasn't really sure how they'd be able to give his appearance much meaning in the ensemble film to follow that cameo.

Frankly, that is a bit of shame because Jeremy Renner is a very talented actor, and it would've been interesting to see him really get to stretch out his legs in the Marvel Universe. He seems to radiate suave more so than some of his contemporaries.

Posts: 6020 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
I've also heard they were able to do a lot more with The Hulk in this movie succesfully than they faltered in doing in his previous big screen outings, and that pleases me quite a bit. The Hulk/Bruce Banner is a much more complex character than most people assume, so I'm glad they were able to give him some depth in this one. Though, as you said, I expected nothing less from a Joss Whedon script.

As for Hawkeye, I've felt since they began advertising The Avengers that his character has been nothing but tacked on in every sense of the word. His cameo in the Thor movie didn't really contribute much to the film, so I wasn't really sure how they'd be able to give his appearance much meaning in the ensemble film to follow that cameo.

Frankly, that is a bit of shame because Jeremy Renner is a very talented actor, and it would've been interesting to see him really get to stretch out his legs in the Marvel Universe. He seems to radiate suave more so than some of his contemporaries.

Now that you mention it, I believe he is the Jason Bourne replacement in the next Bourne film. He'll be playing a new character, of course, but he'll be the star. After his Mission Impossible 4 role, plus all of these, I'd imagine Marvel will be amped to give him his own film (they'd be stupid not to).

I'd really like to see a Hulk movie with Whedon writing/directing it. I really enjoyed the last one, but from what everyone keeps saying, his take on the character is the best. I shall wait to judge for myself, though.

I wonder what the end credits scene will be..? Maybe something for Iron Man 3, since that's the next movie in their line up. [Smile]

Posts: 1322 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are correct, sir.

Jeremy Renner is in The Bourne Legacy, and he looks like a pretty good replacement for Matt Damon as the figurehead for the Bourne franchise.

Posts: 6020 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OJqPJRjHkE
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:

I wonder what the end credits scene will be..? Maybe something for Iron Man 3, since that's the next movie in their line up. [Smile]

I've heard from a very reliable source that the first mid-credits scene has more to do with Avengers 2 and possibly

*spoilers*

*spoilers*

*spoilers*

*spoilers*

*spoilers*

*spoilers*

*spoilers*

The guardians of the galaxy movie.

*end spoilers*

I am so pumped for this movie.

Posts: 1568 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sad thing for me is that I was within spitting distance from the U.K. premiere (over here it is called "Avengers Assemble", interestingly enough), but I had other responsibilities and wasn't able to go and star watch and try to sneak my way in.
Posts: 2826 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also its interesting that the lowest review for Avengers is 3/5 which is normally counted as fresh.
Posts: 1568 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks a bit pedestrian but I am excited by the reviews and Whedon's involvement.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The sad thing for me is that I was within spitting distance from the U.K. premiere (over here it is called "Avengers Assemble", interestingly enough), but I had other responsibilities and wasn't able to go and star watch and try to sneak my way in.
It seems rather weird to me that a movie made in America, set in America, with mostly American actors and a character called Captain America, would come out in America two weeks after nearly everywhere else. Such is globalization.

I'm so looking forward to this movie. I think I'll go see it on Friday, so I'll be avoiding spoilers until then.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. I actually ended up seeing it a couple of days ago in Paris. I won't spoil anything, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was left scratching my head about a few things, but the good parts pretty much overwhelmed any qualms I had. I will say that I didn't stay for any scene after the credits (I got the mid-credits one), so if someone sees it and wants to fill me in, I'd appreciate it.
Posts: 2826 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw it last night. It was excellent, easily the best of the Marvel Studios movies. It was at least as good as X-Men 2 and Spiderman 2, maybe a little better.

The Hulk's first transformation was actually scary - a claustrophobic scene with Black Widow. Other times, the Hulk made the audience laugh loudly.

The two main action set pieces, one set on the helicarrier and the other in New York, were excellent. Captain America is much more aerobatic than he was in his own movie.

Hawkeye and the Black Widow are actually of value in the battles; she doesn't rely on her tiny handgun like the trailer suggests.

There's some Whedon-y humor that made all of us laugh.

Spoilers for the final credit scene:

This does not spoil the plot of the movie, it's just an ad for the next one.

The alien race that supports Loki turns out to be under the control of Thanos. His Lieutenant, the one who was directly involved with Loki, says "to confront them is to court death." Thanos silently smiles.
end spoilers

Posts: 1483 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

*spoilers*
-
-
-
-
-
-
- (someone should just add spoilers to the thread title)
-
-
-
-
Ok, so I saw a scene where that guy said "to confront them is to court death", but to my non-Marvel universe attenuated eyes, I thought that was Red Skull or whatever from the Captain America movie who presumably got blasted into space by the tesseract, if I remember correctly. I guess I may have missed something though, since as I said I didn't stay all the way till the end (just the middle of the credits)...
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
End Spoilers

Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was definitely the guy I said it was. I speak from nerd knowledge.
Posts: 1483 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I willingly bow to your superior nerdness [Smile] . Is the introduction of .... that guy (I'm too lazy to put spoiler tags in) a good thing? Loki was a pretty awesome bad guy. Even if he was just a pawn in the grand scheme of things, he was a perfect type of guy to get a lot of screen time.
Foust
Member # 3043

I can't decide if it's a good idea or not. "That guy" certainly ups the ante well beyond Loki. We'll just have to wait and see how they alter his character. I expect they'll de-power him, relative to the comic book version of the character.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know that they need to, since Thanos is only ever defeated by cheap deus ex machina anyway. He's a dumb character concept hobbled by dumb character design and dumb dumbness.

In general, Marvel and DC both do "cosmic" plots very badly, and suffer every time they think they can pull it off.

Posts: 36937 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

God, I'm really about to show my true colors, but I think Annihilation was the best big Marvel storyline of the last 10 years.

I don't think he's fundamentally flawed, it's just hard to write a character who's own greatest enemy is himself without making him seen incompetent. I can think of a few good Thanos stories.

Maybe I just can't get past my 11 year old self thinking the original Infinity Gauntlet series was unbearably cool.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

3 more days!!!!!!!!
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foust:
Maybe I just can't get past my 11 year old self thinking the original Infinity Gauntlet series was unbearably cool.

The Gauntlet was in Odin's treasure chamber in Thor. Just sayin'... [Wink]
Posts: 3928 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I don't know that they need to, since Thanos is only ever defeated by cheap deus ex machina anyway. He's a dumb character concept hobbled by dumb character design and dumb dumbness.

In general, Marvel and DC both do "cosmic" plots very badly, and suffer every time they think they can pull it off.

Hey! Marvel has had some AMAZING cosmic books out there!

I won't comment on the quality of DC though, as I don't read 'em.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

There's an additional scene on top of the existing one at the end of the credits. It hasn't shown overseas and is being released for the first time this Friday. It takes place at the very end of the credits, so make sure if you are watching it this weekend that you stay all the way to the end!

You can read about the second extra ending scene here.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the Black Widow/Hulk scene, it was like a little horror movie inside of the action movie.

Tom, I think the Blackest Night/Brightest Day books not only did cosmic right but pulled all the franchises together well. The one big thing that always bugged me about the DC universe was the Green Lantern Corp and all its frayed strings, why haven't the Guardians taken out Brainiac? why are there four Earth GL's? why are each of them better than almost all other GL's? why does everything happen on Earth like its the center of the universe and all creation?

So in the end they just kinda said "it is the center of the universe, it was created by the White Lantern Battery (god) before all other life ever, and this is why humans are just so awesome in contrast to all these other life-forms that fill the universe. The White Lantern Battery likes humans better and it is god."

They put some finality into their canon, I've never seen that kind of definition given to the Marvel universe.

Posts: 2297 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the whole audience at the showing I went to fell in love with the Hulk. People were clapping whenever he smashed something - it was rather lovely.

Hawkeye is definitely expendable, sadly. He's cool but he doesn't really seem to do anything that someone else can't do, and they probably can't kill the other black-clad character because she's the only woman - which means if they're going to kill someone next time around, it'll be him.

Josh has certainly still got it. It was a beautifully choreographed film, with the action building on itself so just when you thought it had reached a peak, something else even bigger would come along. And he still knows how to build character relationships where they all love each other and pick on one another in equal measure like siblings - which is so enjoyable to watch.

I adore this film to tiny little pieces. It's everything it should have been. I've seen it twice in two different languages. It's gorgeous.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*SPOILERS*
*SPOILERS*
*SPOILERS*

Why didn't the army just a launch a nuke into the portal instead of at Manhattan? Or better yet, just launch the nuke into the portal right when it opened?

Posts: 1524 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

Real answer: Comic books are exempt from real military logic. They have to be: in real life, if superheroes existed, they would be conscripted instantly. There's no way we could let somebody like Spiderman just exist freely.

Movie answer: The nuke might not close the portal.

Foust
Member # 3043

Oh, and the other reason comic books are exempt from real military logic: it is very difficult to come up with a villain that could not actually be defeated by conventional weapons. So we preteeeeeend that the army can't handle it.

In other words Gaal, it's called suspension of disbelief.

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that, but they won the war using a nuke anyways. I just don't understand why the council decided to shoot the nuke at Manhattan instead of the portal. What exactly would nuking Manhattan have accomplished anyways? Wiped out our best defense and still have aliens pouring through the portal? That makes sense. [Grumble]

Other than that gripe, this is easily the best superhero movie and one of the most fun movies I have ever seen.

Posts: 1524 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

One more thing..why were the rest of the Avengers so quick to close the portal instead of waiting to see if Iron Man would come back down? The threat was over, at least give Stark a minute to see if he could make it back.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't totally sold on it being a great movie until the climax. I was sad that Hulk had so few scenes in hulked out form, etc.

However, the climax was really quite good and sold me on the whole film. Also in that 30 minutes Hulk had two of the best movie moments ever [Big Grin] .

I'm glad I wasn't disappointed.

I did think Hawkeye was pretty superfluous. I'd rather he find something else do when Thanos shows up, personally. Then again I always thought he was lame in the comics.

I also loved the Infinity Guantlet saga as a kid, and can still tell you what each gem did off the top of my head. I have a few dozen Silver Surfer comics, and I quite enjoyed the Annihilation saga (well, most of it). So I'm all for the big purple guy [Smile] .

Posts: 5645 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

quote:
One more thing..why were the rest of the Avengers so quick to close the portal instead of waiting to see if Iron Man would come back down? The threat was over, at least give Stark a minute to see if he could make it back.
I think it was because the shockwave and bits of debris from the blown-up mothership were heading out of the portal along with Stark. They saw the explosion and didn't want it coming any closer.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

quote:
Originally posted by Foust:

Movie answer: The nuke might not close the portal.

Or, the nuke could have reacted with whatever the portal could be made up of and blow up to the extent that no one on Earth could estimate. The Council had no way to know or understand the volume of alien troops in the city already let alone the armada we saw on the other side, so to prove that Fury is smarter than them the Council does something that almost undoes everything The Avengers had done.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
quote:
I think it was because the shockwave and bits of debris from the blown-up mothership were heading out of the portal along with Stark. They saw the explosion and didn't want it coming any closer.
There would be massive amounts of radiation in that shockwave, if they hadn't closed it, it would have likely killed everybody in Manhattan.
Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

A LURKER! quick, box it in! don't let it get away!!!
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoiler
.\.
You're sure that's Thanos and not a skrull?

My bro and I enjoyed it. I thought the heroes won a bit too easily. The only time Loki was really dangerous was when he was trying to bully the Black Widow.

Posts: 14505 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

... I'm too lazy to put in spoiler tags, so I'll just apologize to anyone in advance who doesn't get the *spoilers* feel from the title. But my main problem with the movie is that Loki getting captured and being on the flying carrier thing didn't make a ton of sense to me. Presumably it was so that he could eliminate the Avengers in a surprise attack before the big opening of the portal, but his plan was to provoke the Hulk, crash the carrier, and then run away? Maybe I missed some of the motivation or master plan in that part, but if felt to me like the purpose was solely to set up a few midway action sequences.

But all told, that's a minor complaint, and I probably wouldn't even mention it if it wasn't Joss Whedon behind it and I just expected a little more depth. Which is why I wonder if I'm missing something.

Same as everyone else, I loved the Hulk scenes, but I think my favorite funny part was when Loki tried to mind control Iron Man. Brilliant.

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes. For one he was purple. Second, Thanos is one of the top "big bads" of the marvel universe, which makes sense as someone who can be Loki's boss.

Most convincingly though, the "to attack humanity is to court death" caused him to smile. Thanos' big character motivation is to get Mistress Death (death personified) to fall in love with him.

[ May 05, 2012, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5645 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still lost on the whole "stealing an eye" thing. Hawkeye says something about needing an eye so Loki goes and takes one from some German guy. And then its never mentioned again.
Posts: 1724 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
I'm still lost on the whole "stealing an eye" thing. Hawkeye says something about needing an eye so Loki goes and takes one from some German guy. And then its never mentioned again.

That was actually one of the cooler moments in the movie for me: Loki basically places a camera on top of the guy's eye, and then hawkguy uses a projection of that eye-image to open a retina scanning door. It didn't come up again because that was all they needed it for.
Posts: 4107 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great movie. A few holes...for instance if the point was to crash the air carrier, then why now use 2 arrows on the same side of the carrier.

Without letting Loki get captured....

Posts: 15005 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:

That was actually one of the cooler moments in the movie for me: Loki basically places a camera on top of the guy's eye, and then hawkguy uses a projection of that eye-image to open a retina scanning door. It didn't come up again because that was all they needed it for.
Forgot about the retina scan. What was so important behind the door? I honestly can't remember.
Posts: 1724 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

The brain washed doctor needed something radioactive to complete his thingamajig, and with SHIELD on high alert it was better for them to draw Fury and crew to Loki so they wouldn't notice that SHIELD personnel just stole something commonly used to make nuclear bombs.

Now I have a question, this is not a hole as much as it is a wasted opportunity. Thor's hammer can apparently recharge Iron-Man's suit, we saw this in the forest fight and never again. Why? why put it there at all and not bring it back as a trump card when Tony runs out of juice?

Foust
Member # 3043

I didn't there was ever a problem with the armor running out of power? After the helicarrier fight, the armor was physically damaged. After he fell out of the portal, the armor didn't have power, but that wasn't related to Stark being unconscious (if it was, Hulk's roar wouldn't have woken him up).
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Yes, but they put in a trump card to recharge Iron-Man and never had him run out or at least have thor funnel lightning into Iron-Man who's hand blasters are much more focused. It was a great thing to slip in, but they never brought the idea to fruition.

Also it was unclear as to whether Iron-Man ran out of power on the other side of the portal or if that place was open space and too cold for his electronics to function. His suit would have enough insulation to protect for a short while but seeing as that model was not meant for space travel his O2 must have stopped as well, making him pass out. Add the questionable level of radiation he took on his way out and the suit wouldn't turn on automatically as he was falling to Earth on the NYC side of the portal.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Just saw the movie last night. I thought it was brilliant. Every single moment of it.

I was particularly intrigued by the fact that the director chose to include a baby crying for most of the film. It was very strange to hear at first, and a little unexpected, but as I listened and watched the massive battles unfold in the city, I thought that it actually made sense. After all, there were probably babies in that city, and they'd probably all be crying. And then, to my surprise, two other babies started crying, encompassing the theater, probably because of the awesome surround sound system that was present. I believe at one point I thought I could hear three distinct babies crying.

The crying caused me to feel both agitated and annoyed---feelings I'm sure the people of the city felt as they were getting bombed repeatedly by alien forces.

What confused me, however, were the scenes that weren't very action-packed, but instead were filled with quiet talking. Why would the director include the sounds of babies crying in scenes like that? While I'll admit that such a sound enhances the feeling of being in a horrible situation, I just didn't understand the point in having a baby cry through the scene where Tony Stark is talking casually to Bruce Banner about their research. Then again, I don't pretend to understand the business of making films, so maybe I simply missed the purpose behind it.

Anyway, the movie was great and I can't wait to see it again. Maybe I'll understand the baby-crying a little better on the next go-around.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
quote:
Yes. For one he was purple. Second, Thanos is one of the top "big bads" of the marvel universe, which makes sense as someone who can be Loki's boss.

Most convincingly though, the "to attack humanity is to court death" caused him to smile. Thanos' big character motivation is to get Mistress Death (death personified) to fall in love with him.

I know who Thanos is...but didn't the talky guy's hand transform from being an alien claw to a human hand while he spoke? Shapeshifting is a Skrull ability.

I'd be much more interested in a fight between the Skrull and the Avengers than in a fight between Thanos and the Avengers.

Posts: 14505 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

I think the 'Other' is a skrull. He was grey, but he had the wrinkly chin going on, and it looked like pointy ears too.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
Just saw the movie last night. I thought it was brilliant. Every single moment of it.

I was particularly intrigued by the fact that the director chose to include a baby crying for most of the film. It was very strange to hear at first, and a little unexpected, but as I listened and watched the massive battles unfold in the city, I thought that it actually made sense. After all, there were probably babies in that city, and they'd probably all be crying. And then, to my surprise, two other babies started crying, encompassing the theater, probably because of the awesome surround sound system that was present. I believe at one point I thought I could hear three distinct babies crying.

The crying caused me to feel both agitated and annoyed---feelings I'm sure the people of the city felt as they were getting bombed repeatedly by alien forces.

What confused me, however, were the scenes that weren't very action-packed, but instead were filled with quiet talking. Why would the director include the sounds of babies crying in scenes like that? While I'll admit that such a sound enhances the feeling of being in a horrible situation, I just didn't understand the point in having a baby cry through the scene where Tony Stark is talking casually to Bruce Banner about their research. Then again, I don't pretend to understand the business of making films, so maybe I simply missed the purpose behind it.

Anyway, the movie was great and I can't wait to see it again. Maybe I'll understand the baby-crying a little better on the next go-around.

LOL I'm right there with you. Hopefully when it comes out on DVD there will be an option to mute the crying. It would make the movie more enjoyable. [Grumble]
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

It's official, folks. The Avengers now holds the number 1 spot for largest opening weekend ever in the United States. The grand total is $200 million.

Now it just needs to bring down Avatar's highest overall gross and it will be King of the World (golf clap if you get the reference).

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.