FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Red Ring of Death

Author Topic: The Red Ring of Death
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
To my extreme dismay, my xBox started flashing the Red Ring of Death today, and I'd really like to get the problem solved.

Does anyone here have experience with this dilemma? It seems my options are to attempt to fix it myself (which is something I would be almost entirely incapable of doing), sending it into Microsoft and paying a hefty fee to have the now pretty old system repaired, or dropping more cash to buy a new system entirely which apparently has the red ring of death issue pretty much solved.

I purchased the system used from a friend, so the warranty expired quite some time ago. Does anyone know if there's some other way to get around having to pay the full fee? Or have any other suggestions?

I'd appreciate any advice. [Smile]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
What I would do.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
If it helps, we've had Red Rings before that my wife (mackillian) has fixed using one of the repair kits and following instructions she found online. According to her, it's pretty easy to do (but then again, she's much better at that sort of thing than I am).

If you have the money for a new system, then I would recommend trying one of the repair kits (she used this one) and getting a new system if things don't work out. Worst case, you spent 17 bucks gaining the insight on how some things can be repairs with a repair kit (and you get a repair kit!).

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

All good suggestions. I'm just not sure I have the expertise or mechanical finesse to do it myself.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm just not sure I have the expertise or mechanical finesse to do it myself.

Would you be willing to spend $17 to find out?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm not sure. I did contact Microsoft because the system I have replaced one which died from the red ring before, so I want to see if they'll work with me on the fee thing.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a PS3. Problem solved. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:

Trading one problem for another one.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I don't have a high definition TV, so I couldn't use a PS3.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:

Trading one problem for another one.
I've never had an issue at all. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no help to offer BECAUSE... when my Xbox got the red ring of death, I was headed to the store to do something about it (I think I still had the warranty or something), but I stopped off to see my wife at work, and when I got back the Xbox had been stolen out of my locked car. Not only was it red ringed, it also had no power supply, so I like to think the joke was on the thief. But it was quite annoying regardless.

On a slightly more helpful note, back when it was a big issue I was under the impression that Microsoft was basically replacing them free of charge since it was their screw up that caused it. Is that not the case anymore?

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine even if they were, you'd still need proof of purchase to get them to replace it.

From what I've read, Microsoft promised to honor a special three year warranty for Xbox 360s purchased before the new slimmer design was released. So unless it was purchased three years ago before the new slim edition was released, you're out of luck as far as Microsoft is concerned.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
I would grab the serial off the bottom of the unit and try that bad boy on Xbox support to see if it's still under the extended RROD warranty. When our ancient Xbox 360 RROD'd last year the serial was all Microsoft wanted, they didn't care about proof of purchase or original packaging. I filled out an online questionnaire describing what the system did and they linked me a shipping label to print out along with packing instructions. I packed the sucker up, and my new/refurb system was back to me within 7 days once they had confirmed the RROD at the repair center.
Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
My two cents, the newer model really is better. I hated doing it but I had a rrod and spent the money on not only a new xbox but the hard-drive conversion thingamajig as well. Don't regret it yet.

Wow, firefox's automatic spell check recognizes 'thingamajig' as a correctly spelled word. The more you know.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you haven't bought one already!

Didn't see this coming did you?

Edit to add.

This link breaks everything down, and it seems like if you want the kinect then it is worth it. Otherwise not.

[ May 02, 2012, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man I remember when I bought my X-Box 360 and two weeks later there was a big price cut. I was annoyed to say the least.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Well, that would solve my system issue, but I already have a Gold membership for a year which I'm only a few months into.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

All in all it is only ten dollars saved, I didn't know that when I posted the original link. I hope this isn't the only concession Microsoft is willing to make with their backstock of external kinect devices seeing as the rumor is that the next xbox will have it integrated. Much like tablet computers the motion capture games have proven to do certain things interestingly but not enough to change the entire way a game console or computers are used, but if they got a bit lower on the price of all those kinect that may as well already be obsolete I would like to check it out. Not for anything silly like the dancing Star Wars game of course, no... never...

Edit to add.

The first article I linked mentioned that there would be a termination fee attached to the two year contract, but I wonder if the total price of doing so as soon as possible would be less than the over all price of over four hundred dollars.

[ May 02, 2012, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I think the Kinect technology will likely become even more obsolete once the new Nintendo system launches. If past advances by Nintendo have shown anything, I expect their next system to further perfect the motion capture element.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Really?... I remember everyone having that kind of thought process when the wii was first shown publicly, and right up until delivery it was gonna blow the panels off of everything out there with a mother board. The intended flagship sword game was a bust, not only was it not up to snuff on the end of the developers but the technology behind it was lacking, and for the scifi/fantasy crowd who jumped on that little white console for the chance to swing a sword in a game it was no where near good enough. I only recently played through Zelda: Skyward Sword, and while the motion capture plus was way better it was still lacking and don't even get me started on how the second longest running Nintendo franchise had to give up on the graphics of their best story since Ocarina because the console was lacking.

I've read all about the Wii U and its funky controller, but it screams gimmick just as loud and the fifteen dollar weapon attachments they sell for the wiimote. Mass Effect can tell me a story, Little Big Planet can make me challenge my own creativity but having a screen on my Wii U controller is just something to take up my attention while in the bathroom.

If Nintendo has shown me anything, its that they will sell the Wii U with no technological advances in motion capture only to release the advanced version a year later at ten dollars over the cost of the regular controller. If they could get away with it they would have a WiiColor as compared to the regular black and white wii.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:

I've read all about the Wii U and its funky controller, but it screams gimmick just as loud and the fifteen dollar weapon attachments they sell for the wiimote. Mass Effect can tell me a story, Little Big Planet can make me challenge my own creativity but having a screen on my Wii U controller is just something to take up my attention while in the bathroom.

If Nintendo has shown me anything, its that they will sell the Wii U with no technological advances in it motion capture only to release the advanced version a year later at ten dollars over the cost of the regular controller. If they could get away with it they would have a WiiColor as compared to the regular black and white wii.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who genuinely believes the Wii wasn't a technological advance regardless of whether or not it's games succeeded to do justice to the system. After playing a number of Wii games (including Red Steel 2), the motion capture, though not perfect, still seems better than my experiences with Microsoft's Kinect and whatever Playstation's thing was.

I think the Wii U will increase the effectiveness of the motion capture and will likely exceed the Kinect which will have been out for quite some time by then. The new system will allow Nintendo to leapfrog the Kinect in quality and technological potential.

I think, when it comes to Wii U, the capacity for 3rd party games will drastically improve the quality of game available on the system, including the availability of games with superior stories like the aforementioned Mass Effect, and I think it's likely some of the newer games will be on par creatively with something like Little Big Planet.

If some of the games released for N64 are any indication, Nintendo has the capacity for creative and well-written video games; I just feel the Wii has been drastically mishandled because Nintendo has primarily marketed the system at families.

However, this is all speculation, and the precedent set by the issues experienced with the Wii and many of its games could easily prove me wrong were these mistakes to be repeated.

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
If they could get away with it they would have a WiiColor as compared to the regular black and white wii.

Black and white Wii?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.