FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Hatrack Job-Seekers thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Hatrack Job-Seekers thread
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not updated this thread with every little up and down because there have been so many. For those that are interested here is a quick recap:

• Have worked my last day at my old school. Sad for friends I will miss.
  • The board meeting for the ESL job got moved to Monday, so that is when I could definitely hear about that job. Still a good, hopeful possibility
  • Have an interview tomorrow at a middle school for an English teaching position. Longer drive than I would like, but a good, small school
  • Have an interview on Monday for a computer/technology teaching job at a high school close to home, in the county where I live. Good opportunity, kinda excited about it
  • An English job just opened in my county. The principal is out of town this week, but she has already indicated to me that she is interested in me for the position and wants to interview me. I'll talk to her when she gets back (assuming I don't hear positive news about the ESL job Monday

So, lots of stuff going on. Still hopeful for the ESL position, and could hear as early as Monday afternoon. But I refuse to count on anything as certain, so on to more interviews!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, and thanks for the update!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
That's great that you're getting so many interviews. There aren't many positions open in my neck of the woods so I'm glad they're opening up for you in yours.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you! I have a phone interview on Monday for a LPN managerial position at the best assisted living facility in my county.

Here's to us both getting the jobs!

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Good luck, Kwea!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks! I just applied for the LPN position, and they called me and asked me to interview from the Assistant Director of LPN's for their assisted living and memory care unit, which is a big deal.

Sorry Belle, didn't mean to hijack your thread. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Hijack away! We'll make it a job-seekers thread! Good luck to you.

I am depressed today. The board met for the job I really wanted but no call or offer. He must have found someone else for the position. [Frown]

I had another interview today but I wasn't really excited for it.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Bummer, Belle.
Belle
Member # 2314

So the guy that said "Dont' take another job?"

Yeah, he hired someone else. He called, almost apologetic. It was someone internal. To make it not as terrible as it could be, her job is now open and he said he passed my resume over to the principal and recommended me. So, it's not over...but they will have to hold that posting open for two weeks and I have several other options right now, so I kinda hope it doesn't take that long, but at least I know that is one more possibility.

I'm bummed. I wanted that job and he seemed so confident he was going to offer it to me. Of course you can never control what happens when someone internal wants to transfer to the position either.....

I'm still excited about one position I interviewed for last week. I really liked that principal and it felt like a good connection between us.

Emotional ups and downs, yay!

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, I hate the get-myself-hired process, even though i've only gone through it like, once ever. It's like a full time job you don't get paid for, sometimes.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ugh.

Good luck, Belle. Hope you land a great one, and soon!

Belle
Member # 2314

No word back from the principal I thought there was a connection with and she said if I didn't hear from her by Friday then she wished me well, but wasn't calling me back for a 2nd interview. Bummer.

I'm officially now convinced I'm a terrible judge for when interviews go well! When I think it's right, then nothing happens.

I have an interview tomorrow at a local high school and on Tuesday at the jr. high located right next door to it. I'm running out of options, so I'm beginning to get panicky.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I got offers from 2 of 3 interviews on Friday, and I think the third one went well, but it is a big company and there is at least one more interview before an offer is made to anyone.

I think I am taking the hospice job, while I wait to hear from the big one. [Big Grin]

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

I'm officially now convinced I'm a terrible judge for when interviews go well! When I think it's right, then nothing happens.

How to know if an interview went great if you think you didn't do well:

- you didn't do well

How to know if an interview went great if you think you did well:

- god only knows. maybe you could divine using chicken bones thrown in a pot or something or flip a coin your guess is as good as anyone's

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, Samp's right. Unless you get a job offer, it's hard to know what the story really was with most interviews.

Good luck!

Belle
Member # 2314

Kwea that's awesome that you have multiple offers! Hope you choose the job that works out best for you. [Smile]

Good luck!

Kwea
Member # 2199

I took the PRN job with Hospice of Marion County. It pays well, and if more flexible than the other one.

I am still interviewing with the ALF for the Director of Assisted Living position. I did well at the interview with the Executive Director, but it is a large company, and they have many layers of requirements.

I've only been a LPN for about 3 years, so I'd be surprised if they hired me, but all the ED could talk about was they needed people with management experience, and I DO have that, so we will see. ALF's are less clinical in nature, and basically if it looks like a resident isn't doing well you send them out for evaluation....."when in doubt, send them out" so to speak. My lack of years experience in nursing is less important in that setting than in most.

Belle....I hope you hear from someone soon! Just because you don't get an offer doesn't mean you didn't do well. It could be someone else did just as well, but lived closer or knew someones grandma. Honest....I know, I use to be a hiring manager.

I am sure you will make it work, one way or another. I just hope you find a position that you enjoy.

Sala
Member # 8980

I sat in on eight interviews for a pre-k and a fourth grade teacher. (There were six of us on the interview panel.) Things that were said by various members of the panel afterwards about the candidates include:
* the chewing gum in her mouth drove me nuts
* it was hard not to look at her cleavage
* I couldn't get over her bad grammar
* she never once mentioned the [learning] standards
* she doesn't quite have the right certification (or we'll need to check into whether it's the right one or not)

* she's so vibrant
* she showed effort by looking at our website to learn about us
* she studied the pre-k requirements before coming
* she was very well spoken

There are lots of different things that attracted and didn't attract the panel to and from various candidates.

We found one we really, really liked. We submitted her name. Then the central office told us that we couldn't have her because she had experience and a masters degree and our funding would only allow a new teacher straight out of college. So we had to start interviewing again.

You may have been having absolutely wonderful interviews. There may be lots of other factors at play that have absolutely nothing to do with you.

I'm still hoping that you'll find success.

Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

One thing in yesterday's interview that disturbed me is one of the panel asked me if I had graduated from the school where I was interviewing. I said no, but it bothers me. They probably have inerviewed someone who HAS graduated from there, and principals always like to hire people from the school. It gives a nice sense of community involvement and looks good when you can say that you have faculty who are also alums.

But, at the end of the interview one administrator asked me if a certain principal had been at my last school when I worked there. I said "Yes sir, she hired me." He then put his pen down and told the principal "I'm done. That's all I needed to hear."

I am hoping that means that that he likes that principal and it's a good endorsement for me. But, I have given up trying to predict outcomes. I will say, I've had a lot more interviews than I did the last two times I've looked for jobs.

Unfortunately, jobs are getting filled, and not by me. There are a lot fewer jobs on the teaching job board than there were a week ago. But, all I can do is keep trying. I have three certifications and have interviewed so far this year in all three. I cannot imagine how people only certified in one subject have felt. A friend of mine in the same situation as I am has not had a single interview, though she's been looking and applying for two months.

Belle
Member # 2314

Ugh. I'm frustrated, angry, and bit humiliated.

The job interview was running behind, so the person who was being interviewed after me arrived before I was called back.

And, when the interview committee came they hugged him, and encouraged him and told him they'd see him soon. Then, while they were getting ready, he regaled me with stories of how he used to work there, and then transferred to another school in the district and now was "coming home." I got the chance to listen to him discuss with the janitor the logistics of him moving back into his old room.

My interview was a waste of time, they had already decided to bring this guy back. They were interviewing me and the others just to check a box because they're required to interview, even when accepting a transfer.

I hate being used to check boxes. I put effort into interviews - I print multiple copies of my resume, I print artifacts for a portfolio that I leave with the principal, I take time out of my day and time with my kids and I spend gas driving over there. And for all that, they had already decided who they wanted.

I am not amused.

rivka
Member # 4859

That's AWFUL, Belle. And he showed a truly remarkable lack of tact. They all did, really.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Haha, OW.
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
The company I got a job with was looking for unique things. They didn't want anyone from out of town or recently relocated. They didn't want someone with experience but they didn't want someone with no experience. So, I got the job but I imagine a lot of people didn't get the job and wondered what they did wrong when they didn't actually do anything wrong.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I don't know. I think this one today completely broke my spirit. I have been crying off and on for hours since I got home. It's just so demoralizing to be sitting in an interview and realizing that no matter what you say, you can't get the job.

I know it's stress, and just part of the whole job hunt thing. Some depression and frustration and feelings of inadequacy are to be expected. I'm just done with the whole process of working teachers up until they will get tenure then cutting them and finding new ones - repeat every three years. I don't want to do this every three years.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a rejection on Friday (which, surprisingly, didn't bother me much—I guess I'd already decided I wasn't getting the job) and a rejection on Monday which really ruined my day. In the last fourteen months, I've applied to six jobs, interviewed for five (one posting was cancelled before they interviewed anyone), and gotten rejected from all of them.

I guess it's good to know that my resume and cover letters are good enough to get me an interview, but it's frustrating to be rejected over and over.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Frown]
Belle
Member # 2314

Jon Boy, I know exactly how you feel. I've had 8 interviews. That's a lot - and everyone I've talked to has been shocked I've had so many - most of my friends who are job hunting have had none, or at most 1 or 2.

But I don't know what that says - that my resume and cover letters are good, but when they see me in person they see something they don't like?

I'm going to change my interview suit. Maybe what I've been wearing is sending the wrong message? Maybe I'm overdressed? One of the teachers in the committee today was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I can't do that, but maybe I can go a little more casual. I'm not sure. I'm beginning to second-guess everything now.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

DON'T GIVE UP HOPE

All I have is when I was a teen and my father had brought forth the expected pronouncement on high; THOU SHALT BE PRODUCTIVE and it was agreed that trying out not hanging drywall for your dad's business is an important learning thing or whatever, and I was really anxious to really get out there and get a job as a server at these really cool places I could bike to and I just remember being all dressed up and had practiced interviewing a lot and hmm wait it is becoming profoundly obvious that they are only ever going to hire lithe-bodied young girls here, this interview is merely a formality to avoid appearances of what's going to end up totally obvious anyway sheesh lets just go through the motions and then go home explicably dejected and crushed about not being a lithe young girl.

Go to next place next day, quickly count gender percentages, tally up 100% cute skinny white girls, literally throw application in trash and just walk home without even bothering, play video games instead

Sala
Member # 8980

Belle and Jon, I'm so sorry for the experiences you are having. Belle, that was totally unforgiveable what happened at that one interview. I don't know what to say except to offer my continued hopes for you.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

The good news is that I've been employed the entire time this search has been going on, so it's not like my situation is dire (not yet, anyway). But I'm in a student job right now, so when I graduate (hopefully this year), I'll be out of work. I'm just hoping to find a full-time job before then.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
I empathize, guys. Last year I sent in about 35 applications, got two interviews, and had one tentative job offer (which I turned down in favor of a one-year teaching fellowship). This year I did about 50 applications, got two interviews, and had one job offer.

On the plus side, it's a really cool job that I was happy to take. But I know that that whole process can be pretty rough. Best of luck!

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Quick, not-really-any-news update:

Today I applied for a job and counted for fun (and because I'm bored and it's over 100 and with heat advisories not worth going outside).

I've now applied for 51 teaching jobs. I've had 10 interviews total. The last one was a really tough one to read - the principal seemed to like me and asked good questions, but was didn't say much to encourage me when we parted. I have talked to people who know her well and recounted the interview and they were shocked - saying that the fact that she talked to me about her grandkids and discussed scheduling for the classes next year was me was practically a job offer because she's not the type for any small talk or to talk about anything personal with anyone. *shrug* Who knows?

I'm actually doing well, with interviews - I get called in one out of every five applications - really good ratio there. But I haven't been able to produce the interview that gets someone to pull the trigger and hire me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or if it's all stuff out of my control. I can't do anything else but keep trying and hoping the right opportunity comes along.

HOpe everybody else is doing well.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a meeting with a vague premise, it quickly turned into a ponzi scheme.

Yay for working in a convenience store.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Good luck, Belle!
Belle
Member # 2314

So the tough principal to read - called me and offered me the job! I could not be more excited. It's a very, very small school - I will be the only English teacher in the middle school so I will teach all three middle school grades (6,7,8). But, the school is in the same system as my kids, so we have the same schedule, finally! And, it's very close to home - only about 25 minutes away from the main traffic flow, so an easy, un-stressful drive each day.

And, it's only July 2nd, so even though I have a lot of planning to do for three classes, I have time to plan and prepare.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Belle, hurray! [Big Grin]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Congratulations, Belle!
Sala
Member # 8980

Hip, hip, horray! It sounds absolutely wonderful! I'm so happy for you. [Big Grin]
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Belle!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Belle!!
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Good for you, Belle! I am glad it worked out for you!!!
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Belle, I'm so happy for you! Congratulations!
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been on Hatrack a whole lot and just read this entire thread with all its ups and downs at once. Belle, congratulations! And I'm so glad you had already decided you wanted to move on and started looking before the axe dropped at your old job.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Thank you Uprooted and everyone else who wished me well! It was quite a journey, and it was very, very stressful but I think it's a good result.

It's going to be a huge change from very large, urban schools to a small, rural school. One thing I've been blessed with the last few years is working with other outstanding English teachers, and the support of those teachers has meant a lot. At this school, I am the only English teacher so I will not have that built in network. That will take getting used to, but in the end I'll become a much better teacher, I'm sure.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.