FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Morality and Euthanasia (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Morality and Euthanasia
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CT:
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
What if a prisoner has a bag of heroin in his colon? They'll forcibly remove it, right?

I doubt it. Allowing it to pass through on its own in due time (with monitoring) is likely safest and least likely to spill contents internally, anyway. All official policy I've seen on this is to watch and wait with careful monitoring.

Or are you using the term "colon" to include "rectum"? Medically they are distinct areas, with the anal canal and distal portion of the rectal cavity being the parts accessed during a body cavity search.

(Johns Hopkins GI on colorectal cancer anatomy)

Heh, thanks for the correction, CT!

Yeah, I meant rectum. I think I'll avoid that link, though. [Wink]

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Okay, but we don't let prisoners do heroin, right?
Technically, I believe the laws prohibit a person (prisoner or not) from possessing heroin. Not taking it.

So do you support criminalizing owning abortion equipment, but not the actual act of having an abortion?

Otherwise, I'm not sure how the distinction is important.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Okay, but we don't let prisoners do heroin, right?
Technically, I believe the laws prohibit a person (prisoner or not) from possessing heroin. Not taking it.

So do you support criminalizing owning abortion equipment, but not the actual act of having an abortion?

Otherwise, I'm not sure how the distinction is important.

If you criminalized the owning of abortion equipment then abortions could not be given even when it was necessary to save the mother's life.

My arguments are all based on the premise that abortions are sometimes morally justified.

Once you accept that, then you must ask who should be allowed to decide when an abortion is morally justified. I believe the mother should be the person allowed to make that decision.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Yeah, that would be a consequence of criminalizing abortion equipment, that's true.

So, you're saying abortions are sometimes morally justified despite the fact that you think they are killing a person, right?

CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CT:
Heh, thanks for the correction, CT!

Yeah, I meant rectum. I think I'll avoid that link, though. [Wink]

And I will not blame you! [Smile]

[ May 10, 2012, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: CT ]

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.