FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Should I shave it all off?

Author Topic: Should I shave it all off?
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the different patterns of male pattern baldness, I have been gifted with the least patterned. I have nice (if oily when unwashed daily) hair on the sides of my head, but a forehead that has been expanding for over 20 years. Unfortunately nobody told this to a few clumps and wisps of hairs making a valiant, if undignified, stand by remaining upon the top of my head.

A geeky viewer may see the Mach 5's emblem growing upon my scalp.

A more Evangelical viewer may be reminded of devilish horns emerging from the surface.

Oh, and I am cheap and when it comes to grooming, a bit lazy. Haircuts are never a top priority of my free time. While I avoid the bald-mullet syndrome, I really am not sure what to do with my head.

A couple of folks at work go completely topless--they have shaved it all off. My wife has not cringed from this idea, but has not supported it enthusiastically either. She doesn't want to influence something that should be important to me. I think, since she looks at my hair more than I do, her decision is more important.

On the radio this week they were discussing the bald experience, but I wanted to check with the folks who may know.

What are the up-sides of going chrome-domed?
1) No costly hair cuts or products needed except a good razor, shaving cream, and lots of suntan lotion.
2) Not a lot of time spent on upkeep.

What are the down-sides?
1) I am not the world's best shaver. This will be more to shave.
2) I am sensitive to the sun. This will require sun-block often.

I am not worried about male pride/youth/virility, etc. I have never tried to cover up my lack of hair. No come-overs. No medicines. No toupees. I am what I am.

What I don't know is what are the esthetics.

My face is roundish.

I tan well.

Would I look good bald?

Do women find it pleasing?

Do the men who are bald have any issues I should be aware of?

How difficult is it to maintain?

What tips do you suggest?

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I really could not advise further without pictures.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack.com
Forums
The Hatrack River Forum
Books, Films, Food, Culture and Haircut Problems

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
My father has the exact same pattern. He just went with it for years and years (and a full beard). About ten years ago he switched to a goatee and the chrome dome. It works for him. I will likely have to face this same choice in about five to ten years (currently lots of thinning).

My uncle (mother's brother) has similar, no stubborn tuft in the middle though and just buzzes down the sides to a short length, with a same length beard.

If you do choose to chop the top, here is a "HeadBlade Razor" specifically designed for clearing the cabeza.

I too have problems with the sun cooking my noodle, so I wear a hat when out in the sun. People say it looks like an Indiana Jones hat, but it's a Australian Oilcloth hat, much similar to Dr. Grant's in Jurassic Park in brown, and much worn and loved (had it for over 15 years, not bad for a $30 investment). Does great in the rain, which is why I originally got it.

I once bought a bottle of Rogain, but threw it out when my wife and I started trying to get pregnant, as it is dangerous to the unborn. Made my hair greasy, and smelled funny anyway. If I could throw a magic switch (and not have flat feet and loose 25 lbs, not need glasses, have whiter teeth, etc) and get my hair back I would, but since I'm fresh out of magic switches I'll just accept.

quote:
Mama's hair turned grey. Daddy's hair turned loose.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Hair loss is big stuff. No, no jokes. It is the stuff of image and life crisis. My solution to male pattern baldness, were it to have cropped up, would have probably been surgery or suicide.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
Really, all the way bald. Manly, unlike. I mean, manly.
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd much rather buzz my hair very short than have to deal with shaving it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I'd much rather buzz my hair very short than have to deal with shaving it.

Yeah, this seems like the lazy man's version of shaving your head. Darth, since you said you're not crazy about constant upkeep or shaving you should consider this as a happy medium.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the solution and it took me a while to find it, that webcomic doesn't use a tag system.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Photos--This forum is not set to accept them, and unless I have a good reason, don't need to bore everyone with an emailed version.

Crisis--Hey, I started growing my scalp since my 20's. Mid-life crisis for me will be 21st Century--a new, hot-rod, overly priced electronics.

Surgery/Suicide for Hair loss? Hey, its only the accumulation of dead cells. Not real.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure which I would do, the complete shave or the buzz-cut. I do think for something like 95% of people, it just looks better than thinning hair or bald spots. Some evidence:

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

For some guys it actually looks better than having a full head of hair.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Or if you have a huge lumpy German head like me, pray and buy an impressive hat collection.

I am so happy my seventy-something grandpa still has a full head of hair and a perm.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You really have to have a certain head shape and physique to pull off the shaved head convincingly. It's not for everyone.

My hair has been in a slow and steady retreat for a couple years now. I've been using a special shampoo/conditioner combination that has largely slowed the advance of bald, but it's still coming. I figure by the time I'm 30 it'll be in a pretty tenuous state of existence. I'm still at a point where I can style it without it looking like a gross combover, there's quite a bit left, but it's thinning.

I think when the time comes, I'll probably buzz it down really short. I just don't have the patience to shave it, and I'm not convinced it'd look good anyway.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I've thought about shaving my head just to do something different, but I personally have a bunch of bumps I can feel under my hair which would likely look disgusting. So, there would definitely be a necessity to have an idea what's going on underneath the hair that is there before you go for it.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a firm believer in a man shaving his head if he starts to develop any type of significant hair loss.

At first you'll definitely stand out, but once you safely get some sun on that head...nothing but sexy.

The HeadBlade Razor is an amazing piece of equipment!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Shave it and see how it looks. If you don't like it, your hair can always grow back.

Oh wait.

OK, I'm just kidding. But you should at least see how you like it. I say go for it.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been rocking the buzz cut for a year or more now. I highly recommend it. Barbers can't screw it up, and you can do it yourself pretty easily. Of course, I have a shit ton of hair. It does appear to be minutely receding, although my ex claimed she couldn't tell and I was just being paranoid (which may be true).
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Shave it all off. Pretend to be Jean Luc Picard. WIN!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Hats! Hats for all occasions!

Hopefully I'll never have to solve this problem, my dad has a full head of thick hair at 50 and my grandfathers, 70 and 65 ( when he died) had the same.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Those who lose head hair often have lots of body hair. So transplant all of your body hair to your head, without anaesthetics.
That way you can one-up anyone who complains about the pain of being bikini-waxed.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
Shave it. I've been doing it for almost 20 years. Much easier than haircuts and combs and brushes. Cheaper too.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuukka
Member # 12124

- posted      Profile for Tuukka           Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a trimmer. Much easier and faster than shaving. No cuts. Looks a little better, too. Women dig it. Trimmer allows you to go all the way down to a 1mm hair, which is essentially bald. A lot of young men with good hair use a trimmer, because it just makes maintaining your hair so much easier, and it looks "manly".

...And I can't help it, but everytime I see this thread title, I think of pubic hair.

Posts: 273 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote buzzcut.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.