FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC reports from the set of Ender's Game! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: OSC reports from the set of Ender's Game!
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
When I get my masters in a year, can I make you all call me Master Lyrhawn?

Only if you sign all of your documents as such
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I think the only problem I have with TV Tropes abusing that word to come up with a new term, Blayne, is that the word "anthropic" means something specific. It is an actual philosophical principle already, so reusing the name to apply it more broadly -- and somewhat metaphorically -- seems obnoxious to me. I'd be perfectly okay with calling it something like the Diagetic Principle.

Something means something already so it can't be used for something else but still kinda similar do colour me surprised that I've never heard of such a rule before, oh right. Because it doesn't exist.

"Anthropic" seems to mean: "Of or pertaining to mankind or humans, or the period of humanity's existence" This seems sufficiently vague to be delegated down to things crafted by human hands or to existence in general.

quote:

Blayne, which is more important to you: that you get to use TV tropes without explanation as part of incredibly smug posts, or that people stop making fun of you? Cause you seriously do not get to have both.

Serious question. There are things I do that I get made fun of for and I accept those consequences happily. Some things are worth being made fun of for. Just be aware of what you actually value.

I don't see why I should need to bow down to such a absurd dihictomy. Two groups of people encounter a concept, one gets there first and sees it as blue. Group two sees it later and accepts it as blue, but later decide that it could also be purple.

The first group is right in claiming "Huh, isn't it supposed to be blue?" And this version of reality to them is true, as group 2 must concede and agree that it can be blue as it is the original and verifiable meaning; but group 1 likewise cannot deny that group 2 can see it as purple so long as they agree that purple is similar to blue.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
he first group is right in claiming "Huh, isn't it supposed to be blue?" And this version of reality to them is true, as group 2 must concede and agree that it can be blue as it is the original and verifiable meaning; but group 1 likewise cannot deny that group 2 can see it as purple so long as they agree that purple is similar to blue.
Why is there no crosseyed emoticon? There should be, for moments like this.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Two groups of people encounter a concept, one gets there first and sees it as blue. Group two sees it later and accepts it as blue, but later decide that it could also be purple.

The first group is right in claiming "Huh, isn't it supposed to be blue?" And this version of reality to them is true, as group 2 must concede and agree that it can be blue as it is the original and verifiable meaning; but group 1 likewise cannot deny that group 2 can see it as purple so long as they agree that purple is similar to blue.

You're close to something I'd agree with. If you mean "blue" as a descriptive term for some sensation of blueness, then I don't care if other people have different words for that sensation of blueness. In my studies, I'm quite used to authors using terms which have very different meanings to other authors. I don't worry about which term is correct, I care about how it's used. If I know what the author means with a term, I don't care what term they use. You know, the whole "rose by any other name" shebang.

The problem I have with your example is if another group comes forward and describes something I call "blue" as "purple," I'm going to be confused. When I use "purple," it is in reference to something that provides the sensation of purpleness. If someone describes something as "purple" but is just their term for blueness, that's fine. But I need to know that what they mean by "purple" is exactly what I mean by "blue."

If, on the other hand, when they say purple, it is because to them the object evokes purpleness, I am not forced to concede their term. I do not need to accept their perception of reality. Nor do I need to concede that purpleness is similar to blueness. I might (and probably would) concede the issue because I don't care about the difference, but there's nothing in the example that puts a constraint on what I can plausibly accept.

Likewise, I don't think that the other group would need to accept that it can be blue. If they perceive the object as something which creates the sensation of purpleness, they don't need to accept the "original and verifiable meaning." The original meaning does not pertain to their experience, and they may contest the claim of the "blue-sayers."

I think I became more confusing than I intended to be, so I'll just stop while I'm behind.

ETA:

I agree with OSC's perspective on The Avengers. I also share his concern that studios will get the wrong message about its success and make movies that have The Avenger's shortcomings without its redeeming qualities.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that review of "The Avengers"!

It's as if Card didn't really like anything about the film other than the humor yet couldn't bring himself to call it a bad film given the its tremendous popularity. He goes on and on in the review about its negative qualities and his "BUT..." isn't strong enough to convince the reader that the film adequately overcomes those negative qualities. It's obvious he thinks it was a stupid movie, why doesn't he just call it as he sees it?

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

The *right* thing about The Avengers it that it will hopefully encourage Studio's to experiment with more intramovie continuality. If audiences really liked say an action movie with 2 characters in it, maybe if they decide to make a Romantic Comedy they can win over part of the action movie audience by having a cross over, maybe it's the brother of the character, or maybe the side kick who was a dark horse character etc.

Heck Spielberg is making a movie about Moses apparantly, wouldn't it be cool if the Arc of the Covenant there would be the same arc as in Indiana Jones? Then it becomes a prequel even if its entirely unrelated.

The possibilities are endless, it could be abused sure. But I feel the gain outweighs the cons.

Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The *right* thing about The Avengers it that it will hopefully encourage Studio's to experiment with more intramovie continuality. If audiences really liked say an action movie with 2 characters in it, maybe if they decide to make a Romantic Comedy they can win over part of the action movie audience by having a cross over, maybe it's the brother of the character, or maybe the side kick who was a dark horse character etc.

Heck Spielberg is making a movie about Moses apparantly, wouldn't it be cool if the Arc of the Covenant there would be the same arc as in Indiana Jones? Then it becomes a prequel even if its entirely unrelated.

The possibilities are endless, it could be abused sure. But I feel the gain outweighs the cons.

When my brother and I talked about the issue after seeing the movie, he came up with the idea of a cross-over where Harry Potter teams up with Batman to take on Sauron.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
An arc is a part of a circle. An ark is a box.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
An arc is a part of a circle. An ark is a box.

Blayne was referring to the lesser known event, when King Solomon had the Covenant launched by catapult to an undisclosed location for its own safety.

Blayne's suggestion, then, is that Spielberg include this hidden gem of history, and insinuate that the Covenant then lay in this location until 1936.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
LO...it MUST be true, there is a trope named after it!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm going to call you Twiddlegoot.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're an unmarried man, that's your correct title (‘Master’, not Scott’s thing). Admittedly the consensus on what's appropriate has fragmented in the last 100 years or so if there ever was a strong consensus to begin with. But if there's a plurality opinion that would be it.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, blayne's haughty defense of all things TV tropes. How novel.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:

...Master Twiddlegoot?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Only if you agree to call me "The Doctor Professor Rabbit". Bowing your head and genuflecting in my presence are considered appropriate thought not obligatory.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:

Only if you agree to call me "The Doctor Professor Rabbit". Bowing your head and genuflecting in my presence are considered appropriate thought not obligatory.
[ROFL]
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:

Bowing your head and genuflecting in my presence are considered appropriate thought not obligatory.
I do that whenever I post in your direction.

You just can't see it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When my brother and I talked about the issue after seeing the movie, he came up with the idea of a cross-over where Harry Potter teams up with Batman to take on Sauron.
If you're going to cross universes, why do it to defeat a villian whose already been beat? Why not defeat Bella?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
had the Covenant launched by catapult

>_<

"The Covenant" is not an object that can be launched.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:

And you're still insultingly pretentious, but no surprise that it comes from you, or that you need to resort to a condescending tone lacking in substance.

And yes, it was a typo I meant "ark" whatever man.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
quote:
had the Covenant launched by catapult

>_<

"The Covenant" is not an object that can be launched.

Are you doubting Blayne, Rivka? [No No]
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:

And yes, it was a typo I meant "ark" whatever man.

Psst! Don't back down now, man! We've almost got her!
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, since Dan didn't say what kind of catapault it was, perhaps you shouldn't be so hasty, hmm?

Maybe it was a conceptual catapult, able to catapault ideas and concepts and thoughts, how do you know? Sheesh.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:

No. I'm doubting you.

And Rakeesh, who has flown away to Conceptual Metaphor Land.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:

...Master Twiddlegoot?
Nope.

Wimmbabbager Twiddlegoot.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Oooh, I like that Rakeesh. The arc of the Covenant was not a literal arc, it was the plot arc that took the Covenant from Moses to Solomon to Indiana Jones.

Perfect!

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

No. I'm doubting you.

And Rakeesh, who has flown away to Conceptual Metaphor Land.

*bonks you on the head with the covenant*
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

And you're still insultingly pretentious, but no surprise that it comes from you, or that you need to resort to a condescending tone lacking in substance.
It's too bad 'pretentious' isn't a topic over at tv tropes, so that you'd know what it means.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
*bonks you on the head with the covenant*

I had a really clever response to this, but it relies on a Hebrew pun, so no one will get it anyway.

But trust me, it's hilarious!

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Are puns funnier in Hebrew?
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yah...weh funnier.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

You're the worst.
Xavier
Member # 405

אני תוהה כמה טוב גוגל נמצאת לתרגם עברית
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
You're the worst.

Lies. I'm your favorite and you know it.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
quote:
You're the worst.

Lies. I'm your favorite and you know it.
[Wink]
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The awkward period between the Masters and PhD can be difficult on family and friends, but I've found that with enough reminders, "Master" becomes pretty much a new first name.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
אני תוהה כמה טוב גוגל נמצאת לתרגם עברית

I think I figured out what you meant to say, but the grammar is all twisted. Certainly Google won't know how to translate a word that can mean two things.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just reading Gavin Hood's Wikipedia page and found this:

quote:
Gavin talked about the political undertones of the new Wolverine movie; "Any movie that is simply about good versus evil...is in my view putting out into the world and certainly into a mass audience and young audience's mind a rather dangerous philosophy, which is that there is good and evil in the simplistic and easily defined way... I think that for the last eight years, we've had that philosophy very much prevalent in the Bush administration that if you're on the side of good, at least as you perceive it, then you can do no evil.
I hope politics don't get brought up on the set while OSC is around. [Angst]
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
I think I figured out what you meant to say, but the grammar is all twisted. Certainly Google won't know how to translate a word that can mean two things.
What I had it translate was (I think): "I wonder how good google is at translating Hebrew"

In the context of a sentence that sort of thing (words that mean two things) can often be determined with some heuristic rules. I have no idea whether google employs such things. A simple dictionary based word substitution translator isn't very impressive. As someone who is mono-lingual, I can never know how well it did at a translation.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
quote:
quote:

It's too bad 'pretentious' isn't a topic over at tv tropes, so that you'd know what it means.
Pretending your better than someone else because of rather arbitrary standards is pretty much the definition.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
quote:
If you're going to cross universes, why do it to defeat a villian whose already been beat? Why not defeat Bella?
:claphands:
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Stay away from my cat damn you.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
In the context of a sentence that sort of thing (words that mean two things) can often be determined with some heuristic rules.

In my experience, Google Translate fails rather spectacularly at that -- at least with Hebrew and Spanish, the two languages (besides English) that I can read well enough to tell if a translation is any good.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
The Czech is surprisingly good, considering the inherent difficulties. I would class it as better than the Spanish to English. Particularly in translating Czech into English, google is stunning at times. Partly this is helped by Czech having a larger common-use lexis than most languages, including Spanish.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Japanese is virtually impossible to google translate, even simple sentences.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

For example the above sentence:

quote:

日本人は、Google翻訳でも、簡単な文章には事実上不ࡤ 7;能です。

quote:

Nihonjin wa, gūguru hon'yaku demo, kantan'na bunshō ni wa jijitsujō fukanōdesu.

1- It's not supposed to space it out like that.
2- Its translated "Japanese (language)" as "Japanese (people)"
3- I don't even.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I translated this lyric from English to Greek and back...ten points to the first one to name the song.
quote:
Hell was their father slowly go by,
And they eat your dreams
The one he took, one will learn from.

Do not ask me anything because if I told you, you cry,
So just look at them and sigh and know that you love.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ooh La La"
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Teach the Children Greek?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Teach the Children Greek?

[ROFL]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.