FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ray Bradbury passes away at age 91

Author Topic: Ray Bradbury passes away at age 91
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
http://io9.com/5916175/rip-ray-bradbury-author-of-fahrenheit-451-and-the-martian-chronicles

quote:
Ray Bradbury author of The Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451, Something Wicked this Way Comes and many more literary classics, died this morning in Los Angeles, at the age of 91.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww... I love his books.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]

His writing has been an important ingredient in my life, especially my adolescence. Such an amazing writer.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting to mourn the loss of someone who wrote so aptly about death:

quote:
Know only Real? Fall dead.
So Nietzsche said.
We have our Arts so we won’t die of Truth.
The World is too much with us.
The Flood stays on beyond forty days,
The sheep that graze in yonder fields are wolves.
The clock that ticks inside your head is truly Time
And in the night will bury you.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
RIP Ray. I loved your books, and your legacy lives on in them...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
His presence will be missed, but the world is better off having had him in it.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
451 was definitely one of the most important science fiction books ever written. Right up there with 1984.

I was at work today when I saw the news. I stopped in the hall as my coworkers and I were walking out to lunch. I stared at the television and I was suddenly depressed. My coworkers kept walking and turned when they realized I'd stopped. They insisted I hurry, then seemed oblivious when I pointed out the news story. They didn't even know who he was or what he had written. I was shocked and sad and appalled all at the same time.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
Something Wicked This Way Comes and Dandelion Wine are two very important books to me.

I'm just happy to be alive during the same time as him at all.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I still have my mom's autographed copy of Dandelion Wine.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I shied away from a lot of his books for years because they were so think I knew I would read them in 2 hours.

I did, eventually, and I was mostly right.....

....but....

His stories were so unique, so full of meaning, that I kept thinking about them far longer than I did much thicker books, or even series.

I think I will go back and reread them in honor of his passing, and buy some of the ones I have either lost or never owned.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if his death will motivate Hollywood to make another adaptation of 451...
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
I wonder if his death will motivate Hollywood to make another adaptation of 451...

:-( I hope not.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.