FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Healthy stuff: Reverse healthieness (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Healthy stuff: Reverse healthieness
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Seconded on that - Thanks for helping me out with this! I figure yes, I could just google a lot of the information (and some of it I have), but I figure this is sort of keeping me accountable, and actually talking with people is better than Google, imo. Good stuff.

Speaking of "stuff"... last night my landlords had me over for a full Corsican meal of awesomess. Amazing Corsican wine and sausage and general charcuterie, sardines stuff with cheese, vegetables stuffed with meat (I had a potato, two onions, and eggplant), cheese with fig jam, and then cheesecake for desert. With everything grown fresh, most of it from family gardens. It was *amazing*. And they gave me leftovers. Shazam.

In other news, I will try to eat the broccoli stalks... *grumble*. [Razz] . Also, my working out has hit a bit of a snag. I'd actually gotten up to over 100 pushups in a day, but lately my right elbow has been incredibly sore and not been happy when I do pushups. I've taken a couple days off to try to rest it up, so we'll see how today goes.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Quick question:

I had a pretty good dinner last night. I only had canned green beans in terms of green stuff, but I needed to get rid of them so there it is. But afterwards I had some cookies and ice cream. And it was yummy.

Which got me wondering about things that are unhealthy and the extent to which they are actually damaging. I know things like grease are bad because of what they do to clog arteries and stuff like that, but what about something like ice cream and cookies, or sweet things in general? Is there something inherently bad in consumption of certain things? Or is it more a matter of quantity and context (as in, its fine to eat some ice cream, just not a whole carton, or only ice cream)? And again, weight is not an issue for me. I need more weight, so it's fine if the only negative part is that it makes me fat.

And just for the record, in the particular case of ice cream I will probably continue to eat it even if it is bad for me [Wink] . But I'd like to know just how guilty I should feel, or if there are other obvious things that I really should make an effort to avoid.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Feeling guilt about eating habits is rarely useful, so skip that. [Razz]

IMO, things like ice cream and cookies are fine in moderation, and if they do not displace healthier options.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed that ice cream and other desserts are fine in moderation, but since what you seem to be asking is what's bad about them, I'll try to answer that. When you say grease clogs arteries and stuff, you're probably talking about cholesterol. Cholesterol is present in any food that contains animal fat, hence including ice cream. Likewise cookies made with butter. So while you may not be concerned about the calories, if you don't know your cholesterol levels you should probably get them checked, and if they are high for your age you should be aware of it and modify your diet appropriately. Unsurprisingly, eating more high-fiber food, like dark green vegetables, can help lower your cholesterol. Also oatmeal, and fresh fruit with the skin on.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.