FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » West Wing (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: West Wing
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Arcane.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Kate: Most conservatives don't have a problem with changing the constitution, since, you know, there's a mechanism for doing so built right in.

What they object to is "changing" (disregarding) the constitution without using that mechanism.

The reason for that has less to do with Moses bringing down the Constitution and more to do with respect for civilization and the law of the land.

In this particular instance, conservatives are strongly opposed to changing the Constitution because while doing the census through sampling will be tons cheaper and a great deal more accurate, a lot of this accuracy will be in counting people in heavily Democratic areas, leading to a larger number of democratic seats in Congress.

It's a case where it is both more fiscally responsible and more in keeping with the spirit of the constitution, but will never get past Republicans because it would be to their political disadvantage. Or at least, that's how it seems to me and I've never actually heard a good argument for why we should not switch to sampling, other than that that is not what is in the Constitution.

[ July 04, 2012, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Anyone who tries to suggest any major politician, much less an entire party, would have a disinterested outlook with that much political weight in the balance is selling something.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kate: Most conservatives don't have a problem with changing the constitution, since, you know, there's a mechanism for doing so built right in.
Actually, I'd say they would have more of a problem, given that reluctance to turn away from what the Founders supposedly intended is much more powerful among conservatives.

Well, except if we need to keep the gays from marrying.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
In reading Article 1 Clause 3 of the Constitution I don't see where it says anything about how the census it to be conducted, other than that Congress gets to decide. Am I missing something?

IIRC the West Wing episode on this cast the Republicans has saying that the "whole persons" terminology meant you had to count everyone individually (no sampling), but the Democrats (and Mr. Willis (?)) discussed how this terminology meant "white people" and said nothing about how the count was done.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
While we're on the topic, I thought this was appropriate:

Sorkinisms supercut

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
Actually, I'd say they would have more of a problem, given that reluctance to turn away from what the Founders supposedly intended is much more powerful among conservatives.

Well, except if we need to keep the gays from marrying.

Maybe I pay attention to the wrong circles, but this is definitely not what I've seen.

I've even seen conservatives specifically rant about how aggravating it is when leftists accuse them of being hypocrites for wanting to change the constitution via an amendment. Because that's how you're supposed to do it.

They more commonly object to what they see as changing or disregarding the constitution through judicial or other extraconstitutional methods.

Squicky, I don't know much about the census issue, so I'm speaking more broadly. Could be that the Republican party is hypocritical on that issue, I have no idea.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Or when it is archaic (as it often is) change it. Moses didn't bring the Constitution down off the mountaintop.

Exactly!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
While we're on the topic, I thought this was appropriate:

Sorkinisms supercut

Amusing.

Still, I prefer that to how Whedon does his dialogue. I think you could mix and match half the non plot specific dialogue between shows and you'd never even know which show the banter belonged to.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.