FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "The Folk of the Fringe" in real life

Author Topic: "The Folk of the Fringe" in real life
SingerGuy
Member # 12848

- posted      Profile for SingerGuy           Edit/Delete Post 
Orson Scott Card wrote about this scenario in "The Folk of the Fringe" in 1989. I never thought I'd see it play out in real life.

Police Rescue Malnourished Girl From Closet in Kansas City

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Makes me sick...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, I remember reading that OSC wrote that story from a true story he had read about. So actually, it had already played out in real life.

Don't ask me to cite my source, though.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping this would be about reclaiming useless land with controlled farming, but... [Frown]

And no, not the first story like this. Horrible every time.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I thought this was going to be an apocolypse based news item so really this is a big step up. Though some might argue this is as good a sign of the end of the world as any (of course if that were all it took, sadly, the Earth would've ended some time ago).

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The girl's mother was charged with assault in the first degree, child abuse, and endangering the welfare of a child in the first degree, according to the criminal complaint. All three charges are felonies.
Please tell me that she can get life in prison with the three strikes law! Please, please, please!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember as a child (late 70s or early 80s, I would guess) reading a story almost exactly like this, except that the boy died. It haunted me.
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
That is horrific. I mean, we don't even find it acceptable to treat animals like that, much less human beings.

Did the child ever go to school? If so, why didn't the school officials notice the neglect?

Please, please tell me that no matter what else happens, this woman will never have custody of any child, ever again.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEnkY2iaKis
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SingerGuy
Member # 12848

- posted      Profile for SingerGuy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
If I remember correctly, I remember reading that OSC wrote that story from a true story he had read about. So actually, it had already played out in real life.

Don't ask me to cite my source, though.

Your source is OSC himself. He wrote that in the back of the book, if memory serves. I remembered that right after I posted this link.

BTW, I first signed up here under this name many moons ago when this forum was brand new, but never posted much. It appears my former account was purged so I'm starting all over again. Don't expect I'll post much this time either, but I've been a died-in-the-wool fan since 1985 when I read Ender's Game as a brand new book and believe I've read every one of his books and short stories.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The last time I read that story, I bawled for two hours straight.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.