FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Earth Unaware

Author Topic: Earth Unaware
Rob Lister
Member # 12850

- posted      Profile for Rob Lister           Edit/Delete Post 
First, Hi! New member here. I may have been a member in the past but the forum seems to have forgotten me ... alas.

Long time Card fan. Read his blog on a somewhat regular basis (not as regular as he writes to it).

The purpose of the post is to inquire as to the new novel he has out with Aaron Johnston. I received a B&N email about it wanting me to pre-order it. I might have but for not knowing who or what an Aaron Johnston is. Some casual googling led me to his vanity page but not much else.

So ... who is Aaron Johnston and why is he using Orson Scott Card's typewriter?

I'd hate to think that Mr. Card has gone the way of other (once) notables (Clancy comes to mind) and finds the chore of actual writing best left to underlings.

Love, Rob

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron Johnston has worked on a number of the Ender's Game universe comic books as well as collaborated with Orson Scott Card on the novel Invasive Procedures. My understanding is that it's primarily a collaboration.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
If I understand correctly, Earth Unaware is a novelization of the comics that OSC and Johnston wrote together. I think you'd probably be better served getting the comics if you are interested, but who knows, really?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I thought I'd read it was supposed to be a new story set in the same prequel universe established in the comics, but I can't remember now where I heard that.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually an alternate earth-2 universe parallel world collaboration fanfic
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lister:
First, Hi! New member here. I may have been a member in the past but the forum seems to have forgotten me ... alas.

Long time Card fan. Read his blog on a somewhat regular basis (not as regular as he writes to it).

The purpose of the post is to inquire as to the new novel he has out with Aaron Johnston. I received a B&N email about it wanting me to pre-order it. I might have but for not knowing who or what an Aaron Johnston is. Some casual googling led me to his vanity page but not much else.

So ... who is Aaron Johnston and why is he using Orson Scott Card's typewriter?

I'd hate to think that Mr. Card has gone the way of other (once) notables (Clancy comes to mind) and finds the chore of actual writing best left to underlings.

Love, Rob

Aaron's actually been involved in OSC's work on one level or another for more than a decade. He was even the star of OSC's short "Remind me again"

< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFKwqI1HsRM >

He's a really talented guy, and hilarious on stage as well.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lister:

Love, Rob

And we love you too...I guess...or something.

[Razz]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron Johnston
Member # 12852

- posted      Profile for Aaron Johnston           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Rob. I'M an Aaron Johnston. And I can assure you that I didn't use Scott Card's typewriter. We're coauthors on the book. So we each used our own typewriters. Well, actually we used keyboards.

As for my "vanity page," I suppose you mean my website. Most authors have one, as does OSC. It's a necessary marketing tool. I hope you don't think me vain. I'm really not. I'm actually a nice guy. Or so my mother tells me.

Thanks for your interest in the book. I hope you give it a shot. OSC and I are proud of it. Booklist and Library Journal both gave it a starred review. I'm hoping people give it a go despite it having my name on it. [Smile]

Best,
Aaron Johnston

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I've got a copy preordered through a local comic book/book store. [Big Grin]
Aaron Johnston
Member # 12852

Cool. I didn't know it was available though comic book stores. Be sure it's not the hardback FORMIC WARS: SILENT STRIKE, which also comes out in July and IS a comic book. I know, it's confusing. My advice? GET BOTH!! [Smile]
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Well, they advertise themselves as a comic book store, but the term fantasy store would probably fit better. They sell comics, card games, table games, and normal books.

I've had it on reserve since it was announced. I'm really excited about it. [Smile]

Not to sound like a suck-up or anything.

Aaron Johnston
Member # 12852

Bless you, SteveRogers. Thanks for preordering. Hope you enjoy it.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I know I will. [Big Grin]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I only recently saw the advert for the new book on the homepage of Hatrack and will most likely pick it up. I need more of my Enderverse fix until Shadows Alive comes out/
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Johnston:
I'm actually a nice guy. Or so my mother tells me.

Well Jack/Earnest, I tend to agree with your mother LOL

BTW, the Chic Jeans Frisbee Spot still gets laughs at get-togethers. Youtube is our friend [Razz]

Hope the wife and family are doing fantastic

Love for cucumber sandwiches always,
Algernon/Earnest

naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance for a book signing in the DC, MD, VA area?

-nal

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Lister
Member # 12850

- posted      Profile for Rob Lister           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Johnston:
Hi, Rob. I'M an Aaron Johnston. And I can assure you that I didn't use Scott Card's typewriter. We're coauthors on the book. So we each used our own typewriters. Well, actually we used keyboards.

As for my "vanity page," I suppose you mean my website. Most authors have one, as does OSC. It's a necessary marketing tool. I hope you don't think me vain. I'm really not. I'm actually a nice guy. Or so my mother tells me.

Thanks for your interest in the book. I hope you give it a shot. OSC and I are proud of it. Booklist and Library Journal both gave it a starred review. I'm hoping people give it a go despite it having my name on it. [Smile]

Best,
Aaron Johnston

Thank you for the reply Aaron. I hope you were not offended by my somewhat glib post; I'm much less glib in person.[that's a lie --ed.] Who'd have thunked you'd actually show up to respond to a post about you!? Here's hoping Kaley Cuoco and Maria Sharapova behave likewise on other forums.

Anyway, I'll give the bookseller's 'peek inside' a try for sure. I can't imagine not adding a Card book to my personal library.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.