FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Now Know How Phantom Menace Felt to Everyone

Author Topic: I Now Know How Phantom Menace Felt to Everyone
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
So, that horrible feeling of having your childhood ravaged and abused when a beloved franchise from your youth is revived in a really offensive way? You know, that feeling people got when they watched Phantom Menace years after internalizing the original Star Wars trilogy.

I didn't have that feeling with Phantom Menace because it was the first Star Wars movie I ever watched, and I was too young to have any nostalgia for Star Wars anyway. And while I see the many cinematic and writing flaws in the movie today, I can't regard it with the same contempt that so many others have for the movie and the other prequels because it didn't destroy my childhood experiences. In fact, it pretty much constituted my childhood experiences, since I was the right age to be captivated by the lightsabers and robots and spaceships.

Now, however, I know how it felt for my elders who came unto Star Wars when its legacy was untarnished by the Jar Jar and the overuse of green screen. For something has happened that does to my memories of Star Wars what the prequels did to my forebears. There is a great disturbance in the Force.

Behold: http://kotaku.com/5937752/check-out-these-clips-from-the-robot-chicken-guys-new-lucas+approved-star-wars-parody

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's destroyed your nostalgic memories of the Robot Chicken Star Wars parodies of your youth!
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The difference in the situation is that probably the parody will be worth watching and definitely not that horrible?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
This looks awesome.
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this isn't nearly as bad as The Phantom Menace.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the stop motion action figures more.

But this looks pretty funny.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
lol
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah this looks entertaining because it's SUPPOSED to be a parody, and they appear to have done the job well. The prequel trilogy was supposed to be serious but ended up as farcical, which is why many members of the audience felt particularly betrayed.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but the Chewy/Han Solo "marital spat" scene was freaking hilarious. I wet my pants a little.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
TMI
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't a comment on the quality of the clips, but I'm tickled by how the Youtube comments are filled with 17 year old superfans of "The Clone Wars" and "Robot Chicken" trying desperately to rationalize this new show's tone as "being for kids." It really is like 1999 and the release of "The Phantom Menace" all over again.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

The major difference I think between this and the Phantom Menace is that the prequels were supposed to be cannon. This new show is obviously not cannon and is clearly a parody, so its existence doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Nothing from it will show up in the books, games, movies, other shows, or comics because it's all just for fun. We'll never be able to completely ignore the fact that Anakin Skywalker was a whiny man-child with a talking giant rabbit sidekick...the world won't let us forget it.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
i hope they did a parody about how the line "Only Sith deal in absolutes" is itself an absolute
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
i hope they did a parody about how the line "Only Sith deal in absolutes" is itself an absolute

Actually, I never realized that. Good call, samp.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

Well, as Obi-Wan tells us in Return of the Jedi, "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." From Obi-Wan's point of view, only the Sith deal in absolutes and the Jedi apparently deal in paradoxes. So it's all good.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.