FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hurricane Isaac

Author Topic: Hurricane Isaac
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It's set to make landfall in Louisiana (or Mississippi) exactly seven years to the day since Katrina landed in the same place. It's slated to make landfall as a Cat 2, rather than the Cat 4 that Katrina landed as. But the coast is rapidly being evacuated as we speak. My cousin is vacationing on the Gulf right now and they're heading to South Carolina to get away.

There's also the fact that the hurricane is severely hampering the GOP convention in Florida. They've canceled one of four days, but regardless of the rain in Tampa, the news from the coast is likely to overshadow anything that comes out of the three day infomercial that is a convention.

If anyone is done there, I hope you're securing the hatches or getting out of Dodge.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe this for s second, but since some of them had nasty things to say about "God's will" and Katrina being "punishment".....

What does it mean to them that the RNC is getting hit this time? The their ticket would be a national disaster?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think it means that the weather has a liberal bias.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
It's really not nearly as big a deal as the media would have you believe. Katrina was a Cat 5 in the gulf, and a Cat 4 when it landed, which means it was pushing a huge storm surge. This is a tropical storm still, expected to maybe be a category 1 or 2 hurricane when it makes landfall. Make sure your car has a full tank of gas, and that you have water, candles, and batteries, and you're fine.

Exception: if you live in the metro New Orleans area, where two poorly timed car wrecks can leave you stranded in a bowl below sea level for the duration. Then, maybe you want to GTFO.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What does it mean to them that the RNC is getting hit this time? The their ticket would be a national disaster?
For some people (not me) I'm sure they believe the Republican party isn't religious enough, and God is disciplining them for it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Clearly Pres. Obama has a weather controlling machine (which is why we are in a recession, because he obviously used tax dollars to make it) because he can't get elected now what everyone knows he is not an American and is an atheist and a muslim so he is attacking the god loving republicans so he can rig the election.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Latest tracking estimates a Cat 1 hurricane will hit NOLA head on.
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
For some people (not me) I'm sure they believe the Republican party isn't religious enough, and God is disciplining them for it.
God is punishing the GOP for selecting a Mormon candidate.

(Totally kidding!!! [Evil] )

Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Wake up, Sheeple! It's a Weather Dominator!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I think it means that the weather has a liberal bias.

...this close enough?:

quote:
It’s the government. It’s Obama.

And I’m noticing that that track stayed zeroed in on Tampa day after day after day. And the Republicans react to it accordingly over the weekend, canceling the first day of the convention. What could be better for the Democrats than the Republicans to cancel a day of this? [...]

Okay, 6:45 p.m. Saturday night the Republicans announce that they’re canceling Monday. At 6:45 p.m. Saturday night, everybody is still under the impression that Isaac is making a beeline for very close to Tampa. It was an hour and 15 minutes later that the eight p.m. model runs showed New Orleans. I’m alleging no conspiracy. I’m just telling you, folks, when you put this all together in this timeline, I’m telling you, it’s unbelievable.

Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Wake up, Sheeple! It's a Weather Dominator!

Must you tempt fate?
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the NOLA area, but outside the city. On one level, I'm very happy that everyone learned their lesson from Katrina. But on the other hand, its stressing me out how much everyone around here is losing their minds. And my mom, who is all the way over in Houston, keeps calling and bothering me about evacuating. Despite the fact that I live in an elevated house in the highest part of town just a block from the fire station and two blocks from police station, she still wants me to brave the traffic to go stay with my brother an hour away.

I topped off my gas tank and had to go to three stores to buy a flashlight that took batteries that were still in stock. Every flashlight in my house runs on D-batteries and of course, that's what the stores were all out of.

I very much suspect that Isaac will pale when compared to the monsooning storms we've had all summer. But still, its good to be prepared. My brother does know to expect me if we lose power and are expected to be without it for a couple of days. Otherwise, I expect to enjoy the next three days off. I have two e-readers and a new laptop with amazing battery life so I'm good.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.