FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Experiences slushing for Crowded Magazine

Author Topic: Experiences slushing for Crowded Magazine
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Crowded -- http://www.crowdedmagazine.com/ -- has an interesting idea for handling the "slush" stage of editing. Subscribers and those who have submitted stories are encouraged to read the submissions (available in the password-protected part of the site), comment on them and rate them from 1-4 stars. These ratings are then used by the editors to help handle the slush.

After submitting a story, I've been taking part in their system a bit, mostly out of curiosity. Here are some things I've noticed:

-The average quality of material, as far as the quality of the nuts-and-bolts writing goes, is pretty good. I've read and rated three stories, and glanced at another half dozen, and I haven't seen one that's as badly written as an average student paper at a good university (in my experience).

-It sometimes surprises me what kind of plots people think will work for readers. I read a story about an aging stripper who doesn't feel beautiful anymore. She's recruited by an alien whose people find old age attractive (set aside the fact that aliens might not recognize the markers of old age in humans!) and things proceed from there. Huh?

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you kidding me? OSC could totally make that plot work. He writes crack with heart; that's why I love the man.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.