FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Revolution" - TV Series - Possible Spoilers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Revolution" - TV Series - Possible Spoilers
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
Am I the only one who feels condescended to when they name female protagonists boy names? as if it immediatly designates her as more self-reliant and capable.

I don't really take it that personally. I don't like her, but I do like her name.

I don't like any of them, except Gustavo. [Wink]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:

I am bothered by the age of the British woman. She seems way to young to have a 15 - 16 year old.

If I remember correctly they're not her children. Their real mother is being held hostage by that Monroe guy (when I hear his name I have the Monroe doctrine and history classes before my eyes...)

The main girl has only one facial expression. She has a make-up that makes her look sooo unnatural, leather pants like Robin Hood.

As I said, I don't like this show, but I got a little interested when this officer prayed over his dead soldier's body. Maybe he will betray Monroe, when the time comes.

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he will, perhaps with a poisoned bottle of wine?
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

I remember Maggie, the British woman, talking about her iPhone having the only pictures of her children on it, but I don't remember their ages being mentioned. They're most likely quite younger.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

Ah, yeah. Sorry.
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dansigal
Member # 12661

- posted      Profile for dansigal   Email dansigal         Edit/Delete Post 
Well the British chick's children have to be at least 15-16 years old because its implied she got stuck in the States when the power went out. I think that was the point of that post.

The thing with the Google guy also struck me immediately. It's feasible he was old enough to have worked for Google when the power went out, but clearly not old enough to have gotten stupidly rich off of being involved with the start up of Google.

Also, I agree, all 3 young adult actors are a problem. None of them have grabbed me. That being said, they all seem fairly new to Hollywood, so actors certainly are capable of improving...I will give them more than 2 episodes to show me why they were cast.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Right! They'd totally have to be at least 16 or older. I forgot about how long the power had been out.
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe what Google guy said about the laws of physics not making sense will be a big part of it. All part of a gigantic computer simulation? It is really the only explanation I think I would accept at this point.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to think that Hurley and Baltar have turned off all the electricity so we humans can learn the importance of faith in the unknowable.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

If Hurley was responsible for that, he has good reasons and I'm trusting that all will work out relatively well.

If Baltar is responsible, I will watch cautiously, while preparing myself for anything, all the while hiding the taser in my back pocket.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be surprised if Monroe knows all about the electricity pendant group and why the power went out, I think he was looking for whatshisname to perhaps keep him from interfering in turning it back on.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

Monroe might have been involved in the creation of this locket-like device that restores power. He and whatshisname's brother somehow knew about the possible blackout (whatshisname's brother called whatshisname just before blackout). Being in possesion of those lockets made him powerful afterwards.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I don't think Aragorn and Monroe knew anything about it until later, but the fact that Aragorn's brother Whatshisname was a huge clue for Monroe to jump off of.

This is my name list so far.

Charlie - Main character, not much else so far.
Aragorn - Charlie's uncle.
Whatshisname - Charlie's father.
The Mom - Charlie's mom.
Baby Face - Charlie's brother, I considered calling him 'Imminent Death' because that seems to be his role.
Google Guy - Comedic relief, highly unmanly despite his awesome beard.
British Chick - Obvious plot twist character for later.
Male Version of Taylor Lautner - Has a bow and is pretty stupid.
Something Monroe - Overarching bad guy, who will be revealed as a pawn in someone elses plan. Happens to look a lot like Adam Monroe from Heroes.

To be fair, I couldn't give half as much detail on the cast of Terra Nova and about half way through season one.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

quote:
Originally posted by Szymon:
Monroe might have been involved in the creation of this locket-like device that restores power. He and whatshisname's brother somehow knew about the possible blackout (whatshisname's brother called whatshisname just before blackout). Being in possesion of those lockets made him powerful afterwards.

Whatshisname called Aragorn and was hurriedly trying to explain that stuff was going to turn off, Aragorn seemed to have no comprehension. Whatshisname and family got out of the city as quickly as possible so it is hard to say whether or not Aragorn and Monroe would have been able to find them back then.
Stephan
Member # 7549

The Mom - Hot Milf in every other show that is about to get canceled.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
The Mom - Hot Milf in every other show that is about to get canceled.

I thought the exact same thing!
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

Well, I have to admit that I didn't pay much attention to this show, but:

You might be right that Something Monroe is not the main evil character. We are yet to learn if this person at the end of the second episode is perhaps even worse! Sic!

Male version of Taylor Lautner, who in fact is pretty stupid, is pretty stupid and will remain unambiguously ambiguous.

Google Guy's skills may not be as useless as everyone may think...!

Aragorn will meet his match in dodging bullets and having ridiculous luck while sword fighting. This someone may be either Something Monroe or Yet To Be Known Evil Character.

Tammy
Member # 4119

I liked Google Guy in the first episode. Waiting for him to interest me again.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Oooh... perhaps we can name this swordsman in advance!

Lord Rochefort.

Szymon
Member # 7103

Rochefort the Tudor incest guy?
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

No, Lord Rochefort. Master swordsman and chief agent of the evil Cardinal in Three Musketeers. A preferance for black on black clothing and a facial scar.
Tammy
Member # 4119

Should we just call Giancarlo Esposito, Gustavo?
Szymon
Member # 7103

Aaaaaa, right. Lord Rochefort and Gustavo it is, then.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

We may get to see a Lord Rochefort yet!

Season one is extended from 13 episodes to 22.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

So this last episode was quite possibly the best so far. Did anyone else think it was cool to see Jacob from Lost (i.e. Lucifer from Supernatural)?

Awesome.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that to be an interesting statement Jeff as this episode had a few just painfully terrible moments, such as:

"that boy just died..." or whatever the actual quote was, and

"let's dig out..."

While I'll admit that there were a few redeeming values of the episode, the overall impression it left me with was "the writers don't know how to write coherent dialogue and plot" which is concerning.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

I'm with TheGrimace on this one. I have an impression that the writers don't quite agree with one another. There is one, and I think he/she is quite intelligent, and is trying to make things life-like and real. He's the one who writes "this is why we don't let civilians carry firearms" (pretty funny moment) or who made Aragorn shoot those bad guys in flashbacks. The other one finished a script writing course and is typing with his notebook open. He is responsible for the flatness of Aragorn (seriously, I hate this character, he is so hopeless) and various other cliches, as mentioned by TheGrimace.

And there's the make-up lady, who bought a large stockpile of powder and is desperate to use it all.

Now I'm pretty sure Lord Rochefort is really evil, and possibly not even in the same team with Something Monroe.

Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Some fans are saying this is pretty good, and it got picked up for a full season. What's the verdict so far?
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally do not care for "aftermath" stories, because they are inherently depressing and defeatist. Revolution is a little better than usual, since it seems possible that the electricity could get turned back on.

So far, one of the main drawbacks of the show is that it is too provincial--there is no indication of how the rest of the world is faring. This story is a global story in its nature, and all we are seeing is so far about one or two counties, apparently in Illinois in the summer.

But am glad to see any network trying to present science fiction in a half way rational manner.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

I think electricity is a little overrated. It is possible that a government would collapse, but not imminent. But US government with a million armed personnel under President's command? Highly unlikely. Sure it'd be difficult, but humans adapt quickly. It'd be like 1880s again, US was just fine.
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
I find that to be an interesting statement Jeff as this episode had a few just painfully terrible moments, such as:

"that boy just died..." or whatever the actual quote was, and

"let's dig out..."

While I'll admit that there were a few redeeming values of the episode, the overall impression it left me with was "the writers don't know how to write coherent dialogue and plot" which is concerning.

LOL, I honestly didn't even realize that part about the digging out until you mentioned it, but yes, in retrospect, it's kind of retarded.

Still, maybe I was having a nerdgasm over the fact that Jacob from Lost was now a recurring character on this show, because I was able to forgive most of the silly stuff and focus on the fun aspects.

dansigal
Member # 12661

- posted      Profile for dansigal   Email dansigal         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I gotta say, I really enjoyed the third episode. The show is what it is, dialogue will never be the best, and there will always be some issues, but I liked the pacing of the action and how they are developing the story through the present and the flashbacks. It held my interest and I thought it actually earned a little emotional moment when the British chick got to turn on her phone and see her children again for just a moment.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I just watched episode three, and one problem seems to be getting worse. I can't tell whether or not the choreography is good or not, the editing is so bad I have no idea what is happening whenever there is a fight. Characters changed rooms, positions on a battlefield, spanned great distances with no enemies in pursuit and just generally didn't let us watch the fights play out. Honestly, there are episodes of Samurai Jack with less cutting between shots.

Aragorn is getting more interesting, in story and in character. Lucifer was cool and I look forward to as much screen time as he can get. I like how Gustavo had two tiny moments in this episode but still managed to steal both scenes from the background. Even Baby Face impressed me in that last scene, though I would have appreciated some bruising on his arms to show that he had been protecting his head while being beaten with a sack just prior.

The pendant seems to follow no straight line ideas. That one lady pushed the center down like a button and it turned on, Google Guy has been monkeying with his and never noticed a button. In episode one it was a usb drive, the lines have dissapeared since then so it is now one piece. And that whole "randomly turn on bit" felt like a dash of supernatural occurance rather than technological.

The aging continues to drag down my appreciation of the show.

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
as with everyone else I'm still trucking along and trying to support the show, largely out of support for the sci-fi/post-apocalyptic genre in general. There's certainly some gems such as basically everything associated with the storm in last episode and the lovely dynamic of enemies having to rely on each other, but still remaining enemies.

Unfortunately there's also a lot of unnecessarily pulled punches and such that just directly detract from the show... things like the "we're going to torture you now" moment with the torture implements followed by a scene where mom looks completely unharmed. If you're going to set up a world where we know people are being tortured and then rub that in our face don't immediately take it back and act like it didn't happen.

Also, did anyone else notice the first shot of the diner where they took cover from the dogs? It looked like a snapshot taken on my old 1 megapixel cellphone camera...

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER ALERT!!!

Aww, they killed off the "British chick." I liked her. She was pretty without being teenager cute, and her character was the most perceptive and capable of the bunch. Now the writers can spring plot surprises and deceptions that she would have foreseen or seen through. They did fill in a lot of interesting back story about her. Just to increase our feeling of loss, apparently.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

For the computer to work with a modem that Grace was using, wouldn't it require an electronic infrastructure somewhere between the two computers communicating? Unless of course Grace was talking to the real world. I really think this is all a computer simulation.

I like how steam ships finally got mentioned. But used for lumber? With all these trees around? Even ancient Rome understood the need for a strong transportation network.

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

I think that the British girl's kids will be introduced later in the series, now that we have an emotional investment in them.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by lem:
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

I think that the British girl's kids will be introduced later in the series, now that we have an emotional investment in them.

Agreed. Otherwise she was completely pointless.
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been watching the series, but have not been impressed. I'm not a fan of Charlie. She just gets on my nerves.

I liked the dies the fire universe better, where all technology went down...not just electricity. Though, I do think it is likely that the government would collapse without it. As the Roman's showed us a major key to keeping an empire together is transportation (and communication). Without electricity we loose both. Sure, there is steam power (as we saw in the show), but right now we don't have enough of it available to quickly keep our transportation system going. We would be a lot worse off now without electricity than we would have been if it had happened 50 years ago.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.