FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey Hatrack, pimp my home studio (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hey Hatrack, pimp my home studio
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I have a 150$ condenser microphone, a AT-2020 I think its called; it has the problem of where it can pick up the sound of the house creaking; or even worse the sound of the computer I'm using to record. Audacity just seems to "deafen" the whole track, what can be done to remove noise without a sound proofed environment?

Keep in mind I'm no expert, and my results are far from professional, but I've managed decent results eliminating background noise from a condenser using audacity. When I record, I use a stand and a shock mount, and I turn off anything in the room that makes noise, constant or otherwise, including the ac. I also position the mic as far from the computer tower as my setup will allow. Given all of that, though there's still tons of background noise. The noise removal tool in audacity isn't horrible for constant noise like a computer fan. Just don't go overboard with it. After that, high/low pass filtering and compression can be pretty effective. And if all that fails, there's always plain old manual silencing and fading. Is this for podcasting or for your LPs?
It depends entirely on what you're doing. A shovel is a fine tool for digging a hole but a crappy one for driving a nail, and a condenser is the same. Not for the hole, I mean. It has things it's great at and things it's terrible at. If you're recording spoken word (podcasts, etc) in a noisy room, it's a really bad choice.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.