FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » FTL: Faster Than Light is the best game I have played in a long time.

Author Topic: FTL: Faster Than Light is the best game I have played in a long time.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer is on the website.

The tutorial covers everything. If you actually want to see some gameplay, there's a bunch of videos. This one convinced me to buy, but there are others on youtube.

My first game: I flew into the great unknown and came under attack about four jumps out. They hit the bridge and killed my pilot, Jill, and their bombs set fires all over my ship. I vented everything into space to stop the fires, and I launched missiles to take down their shields and hull. They offered to surrender and said they'd pay me if I spared their lives. I was still kind of ticked about Jill though... too bad for them.

5/5 stars. Well worth the ten bucks I paid for it.

[ September 25, 2012, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
Roguelike In Space.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh, it looks like fun. Graphics and what not are nothing fancy, but I like the idea of running my own ship like that.

I have to say, the video you linked to make it look devilishly entertaining. I might like a bit more of a story to it, the gameplay itself looks like a ton of fun, I mean if I was actually piloting the USS Enterprise or Serenity and we had a series of missions with this interface it'd be super fun. As is it looks limiting, however, for $10 I might be willing to have fun now and see what they come up with later.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Update:

Bought it.

Played it for 3 hours.

Like it a lot, but it has it's problems that I really hope are fixed through updates. It can be utterly infuriating when you finally build up a decent ship and they throw you up against an impossible challenge.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Yeah, the randomness is troublesome. On my luckiest run I made it all the way to sector 6 and hauled in a bunch of tech, but I haven't been able to replicate that.

My most sucessful strategy has been to place one crew member in the pilot's seat and another in the engine room. This increases your ability to evade attacks. Next, place the third guy in the shield room to increase the recharge rate and upgrade your shields to two dots as soon as you possibly can. I cannot stress this enough. Many of the early enemies can't get through more than one. Then get another crew member for the weapons room. Blast doors are handy if you get boarded.

In combat: knock out their shields and then their weapons. If they keep evading: hit the bridge and/or engines.

[ September 25, 2012, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
It can be utterly infuriating when you finally build up a decent ship and they throw you up against an impossible challenge.

quote:
Originally posted by Parkour:
Roguelike In Space.

This is the long and short of it. It's a roguelike. Which means: no saves, don't be afraid to play on easy to get your bearings, and you will die a lot.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Is there a special trick to completing quests? I feel like I'm never getting credit for taking them on and doing them.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

I've never had trouble with quests. FWIW - I tend to complete them immediately after recieving them.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think I wasn't having a problem at all, I was just expecting it to be like QUEST COMPLETED! and give me a pat on the head.

I've gotten access to the Engi and Zoltan ships now, but I think I still prefer the original Federation Cruiser.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I've concluded that it's impossible to beat this game. The furthest I can get, on easy even, is the second time you fight the enemy big boss battle ship. I tried with quadruple shields, evasion at 50%, with four powerful weapons firing and a full crew and was still overwhelmed by the drones and their shields.

Starting to lose interest.

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

You're doing better than me - I've only reached the first boss once, on my most recent game. Some redditors favor the use of a teleporter to take down their crew, shields, and cloak from within. I think I'll try that technique next time.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

I'm at stage 4. Without the cursing, of course.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm between 3 and 4.

With possibly more cursing.

I swear more playing this game for an hour than I probably do on a monthly basis without it.

But I HAVE to beat it before I can stop playing. It's driving me friggin nuts.

Tuukka
Member # 12124

- posted      Profile for Tuukka           Edit/Delete Post 
The nice thing about Roquelikes is that you can take a few months off, and suddenly the game feels just as fresh as it ever was. The randomized, no-saves structure makes them good for replays.

A lot of people have played Nethack for over 20 years.

Posts: 273 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
RAH. I WAS THAT CLOSE TO GETTING THE FCKING CRYSTAL SHIP.

Gorramit. This game is hard.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm taking a break and playing Medieval Total War on Very Hard.

It's child's play in comparison. And oddly, what used to feel satisfying now feels empty.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I conquered the entire world as the turks. The turks have units which allow you to start savaging the world right from the start, but only if you manually control them; if you autoresolve any combat the computer just smooshes your horse archers and stuff right into spearmen and you lose fights you could have won without a single casualty, which means you have to manually control every single fight all the way until you have, like, jannisaries.

God i'm so glad i don't get nearly as obsessive over video games as i used to

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

It can be done, though I think the player is extraordinarily lucky.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I conquered the entire world as the turks. The turks have units which allow you to start savaging the world right from the start, but only if you manually control them; if you autoresolve any combat the computer just smooshes your horse archers and stuff right into spearmen and you lose fights you could have won without a single casualty, which means you have to manually control every single fight all the way until you have, like, jannisaries.

God i'm so glad i don't get nearly as obsessive over video games as i used to

I've conquered the world as several different people on Hard. I've only conquered on Very Hard with the English, I believe.

I just tried it with Russia and the Moors and got smoked both times. Simply too many attackers over too much open ground. But it didn't end up being that tricky with the Danes. I managed to secure good enough defenses in the east before the Timurids invaded, and then all you have to do is pound away with city defense canons until they die.

The difference between Hard and Very Hard is actually pretty distinct. They come at you much much harder in VH.

T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha-Ha! I got 'im!

I finally beat the boss, and with exactly 1 hp to spare!. Wow that was a rush.

In the same run I unlocked the crystal ship and the b type of the first ship.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Beat this earlier - self-teleporting weapons are the best!
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been playing FTL a ton - made it to the final area twice, and fought (and got hosed by) the enemy ship once. The random factor is rough - I found no good weapons or drones on that playthrough, so I couldn't get through the 4 dot shields. I like the second ship (the box-shaped one) but it's hard to vent the air to put out fires.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.