FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Evil Dead Remake - First Trailer (Warning)

Author Topic: Evil Dead Remake - First Trailer (Warning)
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
So the first trailer is out for the Evil Dead remake. Red band here:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/10/24/evil-dead-red-band-trailer

Much better looking than I expected. Question is: will this turn into a remake of Army of Darkness? I saw a girl cutting off her arm with a chainsaw, no?

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody went and did this in a post Cabin in the Woods world? What the heck were they thinking?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody went and did this in a post Cabin Fever world? What the heck were they thinking?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody did this?
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, given the source material, at least nobody can bitch about sullying the original with a remake.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
My response is the same as when I was on my way to see a local theater production of Evil Dead: The Musical.

Is it weird that I can't wait for the tree scene?

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foust:
Somebody went and did this in a post Cabin in the Woods world? What the heck were they thinking?

I don't understand your complaint.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
It will be interesting to see how they approach this after the more self-aware tone set by Cabin in the Woods, but I've heard the remake is adopting a more straight-forward horror approach (a la the original The Evil Dead) as opposed to the slapstick horror of The Evil Dead 2.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

I don't understand your complaint.
Cabin in the Woods by all rights should have killed the "dumb teens wander into a dangerous, isolated place" genre dead, just like Unforgiven more-or-less killed westerns.

Did you see Cabin? How could anyone watch this remake - which seems devoid of the original's humor, something which might save it - and not be thinking about Cabin the whole time?

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably because if I ever watched Cabin, I'd be thinking about Evil Dead. Not the other way around.

Also, humor in the original? The humor really didn't start until Evil Dead II. The first one was just horrifying and nothing else for me.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Probably because if I ever watched Cabin, I'd be thinking about Evil Dead. Not the other way around.

But when watching this remake, how can you not think about Cabin?

I think the film makers are just counting on the fact that not so many people saw Cabin, and a chunk of those that did mostly want to know how the two operator guys got their jobs.

quote:
Also, humor in the original? The humor really didn't start until Evil Dead II. The first one was just horrifying and nothing else for me. [/qb]
Unless my memory is badly failing me, that trailer is full of scenes from Evil Dead 2. Most of the iconic stuff - angry molesting tree, evil hand, etc, is from II, not I.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

The evil hand is from 2, but the molesting tree was definitely in the original.

I don't think that film genres get killed the way you're indicating here, Foust. I certainly can't think of any genres where that's actually the case.

And man, thank god for that. It would be a sad world indeed if Unforgiven had actually killed the western genre. Luckily, that's total BS, and there have been some great westerns since then.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
[QB] The evil hand is from 2, but the molesting tree was definitely in the original.

Ah, ok.

quote:
I don't think that film genres get killed the way you're indicating here, Foust. I certainly can't think of any genres where that's actually the case.
When I say a genre has been killed by a particular work, I mean there's two ways that can happen. One, everything after that work is obviously derivative: the genre has been stripped of creativity. Two, the genre is recognized as no longer profitable because the public is sick of it.

Examples of (1):

After Dances with Wolves came Dances with Smurfs. You know the movie I'm talking about. There are other movies with that basic structure - the white man out-natives the natives - but they're all rather superfluous.

Were there any essential slasher movies after Scream? It really seems as if there is no room or possibility for something new, like Halloween was in its day.

2:

After the 90s Batman movies, comic movies had to completely strip themselves of camp. Campy comic movies may be back in the future, but it will have to be something new.

quote:
And man, thank god for that. It would be a sad world indeed if Unforgiven had actually killed the western genre. Luckily, that's total BS, and there have been some great westerns since then.
Wyatt Earp, Tombstone and Open Range. Over ten years? Not exactly John Wayne's heyday.
Aros
Member # 4873

Avengers was devoid of camp? Argument fail.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Posting from phone but I think you have a correlation/causation fallacy here. How long had it been since there was a good slasher flick BEFORE Scream? They were on the Nth installments of Halloween/Friday 13th/etc.

Scream was made as a reaction to the death of the genre. I don't think it killed it.

Similarly, I think westerns lost popularity and became less common as the viewing public, Hollywood, and the stars all changed. I don't think chalking all that up to Unforgiven makes sense. Westerns are still made and are still awesome, they're just not the default action flick anymore.

Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

quote:
Wyatt Earp, Tombstone and Open Range. Over ten years? Not exactly John Wayne's heyday.
Wow, I would definitely strike Wyatt Earp from this list, and add True Grit, There Will Be Blood, and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. And it's been 20 years since Unforgiven.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, when comparing movies of the 21st Century with pre-21st Century films, it's always important to remember that a lot of creative energy has gone out of the film industry and into TV, which is better than it's ever been. So the status of, for instance, Deadwood and Hatfields and McCoys needs to be considered as well.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

Oh, and more campy comic movies: Super, Kickass, Smallville, all of the Marvel movies, really. *Scratches head* Pretty much everything BUT Batman.

It is funny that Cabin in the Woods is the example of the game changer for slasher films, while I'd argue that The Avengers is the epitome of camp and fan-service. Both are Whedon. The dude is brilliant, no?

But I still like Raimi. I have faith in The Evil Dead.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

What Destineer said.

Also, it may not be high art or whatever, but I quite liked the 3:10 to Yuma remake. At minimum it's on par with a goodly percentage of the old guard westerns.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.