FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mockingbird Lane -- Munsters Rebooted

Author Topic: Mockingbird Lane -- Munsters Rebooted
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan Fuller, the mad scientist behind some of the best shows ever (Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me, the first season of Heroes, . . . Wonderfalls), has sold a pilot for a Munsters reboot that aired last week. You can watch it at NBC.com

Wow! It is so dark! Did Eddie really murder half of his scout troop in the opening minutes???? And Eddie Izzard is freaking PERFECT as Grandpa.

Supposedly there's still a chance that this might get picked up as a series. But with $10 M for the pilot, it might be a tough sell.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/xaque-gruber/mockingbird-lane-premiere_b_1995513.html

My favorite quote:
Grandpa: I preferred it when the village was further away and we had a moat.
Marilyn Munster: The best moats are made of good manners and filled with congeniality.

[ November 02, 2012, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Aros ]

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been meaning to watch this. I wanted to watch it when it aired, but I was otherwise detained.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly, the chances are very low for it to get greenlit. I'm guessing it's for the reason you mentioned.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

Yes. It's dark. Not really family friendly and much edgier than anything I've seen on network tv. Like a cross between Pushing Daisies and True Blood. What I wouldn't give to see this picked up by Showtime or AMC.

Can you laugh at nice people (neighbors and children) being casually murdered, some in a rather slapstick manner? Or how Grandpa keeps trying to get one of the neighbor ladies to eat his cookies, in order that she would become his blood slave?

I laughed. But like NBC said, where would the show find its audience?

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The troop was not murdered. But the opening sequence is darker than what I was expecting even after Aros's warning.

The rest is...deliciously discomfitting.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

I swear that some of them died. And the new scoutmaster was all life, "I'm sorry". Why would he say that if they were merely scared by a bear?
Scott R
Member # 567

When the kids were all in the truck with the scoutmaster, they asked, "Where's Eddie Munster?" but they didn't ask about anyone else. And then on the roof when Herman was talking to Eddie, he said that some of the kids just got scratched.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

Maybe because they'd seen the other kids mauled,but Eddie was nowhere to be seen. And he wouldn't tell Eddie, would he? Don't ruin it for me. I like it better if Eddie is a murderer.
Aros
Member # 4873

Maybe because they'd seen the other kids mauled,but Eddie was nowhere to be seen. And he wouldn't tell Eddie, would he? Don't ruin it for me. I like it better if Eddie is a murderer.
Scott R
Member # 567

Well, in any case, it's not Eddie doing the killing-- it's the wolf. Eddie very clearly doesn't want to be a monster, to the point of not even eating meat.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved and hated it. Loved it because I love Fuller's work and humor, Eddie Izzard stole every scene and it was in many ways better than the original.

Hated it because, even though I wasn't the Munsters' biggest fan -- I was always an Addams Family kid -- I did appreciate the tone of the show, which was this: they were a normal American family. They lived their lives, tried to get on with the neighbors and accepted everybody. They didn't actively try to kill them all (although Grandpa did reminisce over the good old days every now and again).

Also, while the beginning was great, the pacing in the second half was dragging.

Overall I gave a strong B, mostly for Izzard.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Wife made me turn it off before the opening sequence finished, I'll give it a try later.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Just started it, but -clearly- Eddy is a werewolf...Eddy is the wolf that attacked the troop.

Also, that house is amazing! I would so put up with a dead hobo in the wall or two for that mansion.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Pretty good...Loved Izzard, as I always have.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

SW-

Yes, Eddie is the werewolf. My point is that he, the boy, is not a murderer. The wolf is-- which is precisely what Herman told him on the roof.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Oh...
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
It has potential. My issue is that it seems to be having an identity crisis. Does it want to be a dark comedy with a streak of heart-warming family sitcom? Or does it want to be a heart-warming family sitcom with a dark streak?

Either path has potential, but its a balancing act that wasn't quite hit in the pilot. I loved Eddie Izzard and thought the kid playing Eddie Munster was surprisingly good. The set pieces were incredible.

The story was where it had trouble with me. I loved the plot of working up the courage to tell Eddie he's a werewolf. I didn't care for the story of Herman's heart being problematic. All the time they spent talking about Herman's heart was time taken from talking about Eddie Munster or Grandpa offering people his cookies.

I get why NBC is hesitant. If this were what the show was every week I'd lose interest very quickly. But I think that given some time to figure itself out, this show could be great.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally saw it, and loved it. Bryan Singer is always amazing. If you haven't watched Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, and Pushing Daisies, do so. Pushing Daisies and Dead Like Me even, somehow against all odds, survived into a second season.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Vadon nailed it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.