FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mass shooting at Connecticut elementary school

Author Topic: Mass shooting at Connecticut elementary school
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/14/shooting-reported-at-connecticut-elementary-school/?hpt=hp_t1

Reports are still coming in. It seems like anywhere from 20-26 people have been killed. With the majority of those being kindergarten aged children.

I know this conversation will inevitably become a second amendment conversation, but for now...

This is just horrific.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Angst] What's wrong with people? [Angst] [Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! It's Dunblane all over again.

These things just shouldn't happen. It's just completely terrible.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Twenty-six murdered. Eighteen of them children.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I read about this. Horrible, horrible thing. Columbine was bad enough, but these are just little kids. I have two nieces that are Kindergarten age. [Frown]
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we'll find out in the coming days that the shooter was incredibly damaged psychologically.

The question is how he got ahold of guns.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! [Frown]

Ugh. How horrible.
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Is that really the question? Sigh.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
It's certainly one of the important questions that should come out of a tragedy like this.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
In time, yes.

For now we mourn such horror.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuukka
Member # 12124

- posted      Profile for Tuukka           Edit/Delete Post 
Guns and mental illnesses are besides the point here, really.

Within the next 24 hours the name and the face of the killer will be displayed all around the world. Everyone will know him, and his story. Everyone will talk about him. Everyone will know why he did it - He probably will tell it himself, in videos and letters that he made before the massacre.

He will become extremely famous. A legend. The media and the people will give him everything he never had, but that he always wanted: Recognition, fame, regret - Even respect.

And because of that, another killer will do another massacre some time soon.

Can you fight this? Yeah, sure. Don't read anything about him. Don't watch a picture of him. Don't even learn his name.

The more you pay attention to him, the more you give him exactly what he wanted. The more you pay attention to him, the more likely it is that someone will do another massacre.

Posts: 273 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Yuck - An individual whose photo is being circulated by the networks is apparently on FB telling everyone it was most definetly NOT him.
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Oh no! [Frown]

Ugh. How horrible.
quote:

Is that really the question? Sigh.
I have to ask what you're thinking about if this ISN'T a question on your mind.

It seems like a pretty obvious and necessary question to me. This wasn't an act of nature. We have to find out if this was preventable and how the system failed to make it better.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally get how gun control should be top of everyone's list of thoughts. But right now I can only think of those poor parents, most of whom probably with a house full of holiday decorations and gifts for a happy little someone who will never get to open them. About how much those kids were looking forward to the next few days.

I just can't think about anything else.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
I totally get how gun control should be top of everyone's list of thoughts. But right now I can only think of those poor parents, most of whom probably with a house full of holiday decorations and gifts for a happy little someone who will never get to open them. About how much those kids were looking forward to the next few days.

I'm thinking about the parents of the kids killed NEXT time this happens.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:

I'm thinking about the parents of the kids killed NEXT time this happens.
I made a new thread for us.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry for all those families affected. What a horrible, senseless act.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, a school shooting? Better avoid Facebook for a few days.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
Ugh, a school shooting? Better avoid Facebook for a few days.

Seriously. Mine is a minefield at the moment.

Except for my cousin who can't stop talking about NCAA issues. It's actually a refreshing break, though I don't give a damn about college sports.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tuukka:

Within the next 24 hours the name and the face of the killer will be displayed all around the world. Everyone will know him, and his story. Everyone will talk about him. Everyone will know why he did it - He probably will tell it himself, in videos and letters that he made before the massacre.

He will become extremely famous. A legend. The media and the people will give him everything he never had, but that he always wanted: Recognition, fame, regret - Even respect.

Can you fight this? Yeah, sure. Don't read anything about him. Don't watch a picture of him. Don't even learn his name.

The more you pay attention to him, the more you give him exactly what he wanted. The more you pay attention to him, the more likely it is that someone will do another massacre.

Actually the media has been circulating internal white papers for quite a while encouraging outlets *not* to do any of these things. For the above enumerated reasons. Thus it's not likely you'll see his face all over the news- unless the American media really are a bunch of sick cowards, because by now, they have all been warned, repeatedly, and have mostly all vowed *not* to do this kind of crap.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Simply horrible.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

Actually the media has been circulating internal white papers for quite a while encouraging outlets *not* to do any of these things. For the above enumerated reasons. Thus it's not likely you'll see his face all over the news- unless the American media really are a bunch of sick cowards, because by now, they have all been warned, repeatedly, and have mostly all vowed *not* to do this kind of crap.
Except they already did. And showed the face of the WRONG person earlier in the day.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow would it suck to be that wrongly IDed guy.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Godric 2.0:
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

Except they already did. And showed the face of the WRONG person earlier in the day.
I'm not surprised, I'm just disappointed.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
So devastated by what happened. I had to console another teacher today, she was sobbing in the hall. She looked at me and said "I was looking at all of them, and realized that there is no way I could put them all behind me. There are too many of them."

For those that don't know, I teach in a small K-8 school. I know just about every kid by now in the entire school. I've never been in this type of school before - I've never worked alongside kindergarten classrooms. I see those little five year olds every morning when I come in - they meet in the main hall. More than one morning I get a hug from a precious baby who just knows me as "Ms. Ward, who teaches the big kids."

How anyone at all could harm one of those precious little ones, much less 20 of them....I just can't fathom it. I can't process it. My first thought was "What if this happened to my kids?" thinking of the four I gave birth to. My second thought was "What if this happened to my kids?" thinking of the 50 or so I teach each day and the 80 or so in the lower grades I see every day.

What? Why? How? I just don't understand. [Frown]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
My little girl is a kindergartner so I am really trying to avoid anything with this because it is just too much. Of course, avoiding is almost impossible.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[quote="Conservapedia's front page posted:"]

A massacre at a Connecticut public school kills at least 26, including 18 children.[1]
We pray for the victims.

Earlier this week, the Oregon shooting by video game player mimicked Grand Theft Auto game
That game features "mall rampages" whereby a player shoots randomly inside a mall. [2]
No other explanation is plausible.
[/quote]

Not my vidoe games [Frown]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Charlotte Bacon, 6
Daniel Barden, 7
Olivia Engel, 6
Josephine Gay, 7
Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 6
Dylan Hockley, 6
Madeleine F. Hsu, 6
Catherine V. Hubbard, 6
Chase Kowalski, 7
Jesse Lewis, 6
James Mattioli, 6
Grace McDonnell, 7
Emilie Parker, 6
Jack Pinto, 6
Noah Pozner, 6
Caroline Previdi, 6
Jessica Rekos, 6
Aveille Richman, 6
Benjamin Wheeler, 6
Allison N. Wyatt, 6

Dawn Hochsprung, 47
Rachel Davino, 29
Anne Marie Murphy, 52
Lauren Rousseau, 30
Mary Sherlach, 56
Victoria Soto, 27

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Good speech from the prez the other day, I thought. I'm afraid I never got too upset about this whole thing in the first place, though.

I remember when my cousin's fiancee, who I never met, died in this weird accident and my brother was really bent out of shape (he'd never met the guy either). He was like, why aren't you freaked out by this? And I was like, well, I feel bad for Amanda, but I didn't know the guy, and people I don't know die horribly all the time. The fact that I don't pay attention to the constant tragedy when it's not held up in front of my face makes it much easier to ignore when it does enter my awareness, out of a sense that I should be consistent.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
So devastated by what happened. I had to console another teacher today, she was sobbing in the hall. She looked at me and said "I was looking at all of them, and realized that there is no way I could put them all behind me. There are too many of them."

For those that don't know, I teach in a small K-8 school. I know just about every kid by now in the entire school. I've never been in this type of school before - I've never worked alongside kindergarten classrooms. I see those little five year olds every morning when I come in - they meet in the main hall. More than one morning I get a hug from a precious baby who just knows me as "Ms. Ward, who teaches the big kids."

How anyone at all could harm one of those precious little ones, much less 20 of them....I just can't fathom it. I can't process it. My first thought was "What if this happened to my kids?" thinking of the four I gave birth to. My second thought was "What if this happened to my kids?" thinking of the 50 or so I teach each day and the 80 or so in the lower grades I see every day.

What? Why? How? I just don't understand. [Frown]

Hey Belle, It's been a long time.

I feel the same way. I put a FB post on my wall about this.

quote:
From my FB:
When the word "Hero" is thrown around, we tend to think of a firefighter rushing into a burning building or a police officer kicking in the door to a bad guys house or a soldier in a firefight, but we should also think of the teacher protecting their students.

The tragedy at Newtown, CT and the stories that are coming out about the heroism displayed by the teachers and administration should warm...our hearts and remind us why most teachers call our children "my kids".

I have a good number of teachers who are FB friends and a few are former teachers of Candace and Josie. I know each one of you would put yourself between harm and your kids or fight with all you have to stop a madman like we hear the principal did.

I appreciate each one of you and love that we can share our kids even if its just for a year.

I know when you and others decided to be teachers, you never thought you might one day have to put yourself in this position. I was not a good student growing up and had a real smart mouth. It pains me now to know that each one of those teachers would have died to protect me. Thank you for what you do.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I work in Danbury Ct. My boss's son (8) was at Sandy Hook school on Friday. He (my boss) got a call at some point in the morning and disappeared. We had no idea what had happened. We started hearing rumors that two guys had gone into a school nearby looking for the principal (amazing how wrong rumors can be) and there had been a shooting. Variations of that rumor persisted until a friend of mine said that 27 people were dead at Sandy Hook Elementary, and I had a vague feeling that my boss had mentioned that school, either because his wife worked there, or his son went there. In any case we didn't believe it. It just sounded like the rumor had gotten out of control.

We checked the web, and still couldn't believe it.

Finally, I found a facebook post from him, that his son was ok, but that neither of them were processing what had happened yet. Today he said there were about 15 minutes when he knew there were kids killed in the school, and he didn't know if his son was one of them.

This still feels too close to be true.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
I work in Danbury Ct. My boss's son (8) was at Sandy Hook school on Friday. He (my boss) got a call at some point in the morning and disappeared. We had no idea what had happened. We started hearing rumors that two guys had gone into a school nearby looking for the principal (amazing how wrong rumors can be) and there had been a shooting. Variations of that rumor persisted until a friend of mine said that 27 people were dead at Sandy Hook Elementary, and I had a vague feeling that my boss had mentioned that school, either because his wife worked there, or his son went there. In any case we didn't believe it. It just sounded like the rumor had gotten out of control.

We checked the web, and still couldn't believe it.

Finally, I found a facebook post from him, that his son was ok, but that neither of them were processing what had happened yet. Today he said there were about 15 minutes when he knew there were kids killed in the school, and he didn't know if his son was one of them.

This still feels too close to be true.

Oof! [Frown] That's horrible.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.