FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lets talk about weapon safety :D

Author Topic: Lets talk about weapon safety :D
Rawrain
Member # 12414

- posted      Profile for Rawrain   Email Rawrain         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I hear so many things about how banning weapons is bad, I can see that... I can also see how weapons themselves and the people behind some of them are also bad... but instead of targeting the guns for any reason, we need better methods for targeting the people behind the misuse of them.

Security advancement in preventing weapons from entering places where they shouldn't be hasn't exactly increased over the years, schools simply install metal detectors and occasional have gunpowder and drug sniffing dogs take a walk down the hallway... of course this is a different story for airports where the TSA will randomly screen people, sure that helps sometimes, but that's not surefire is it?

So here we have this topic to put ideas for 2 topics!
Topic 1, Preventative
Topic 2, After a violent initiative.

current things to help you understand what I am talking about
For topic 1 for instance Metal detectors are preventative.

For topic 2 a swat team raid.

So, T1
More metal detectors, might slow entry into schools but it would make them a tad safer, but how about machines sensitive to gunpowder, simply by having people walk past them threats can be detected.

Now T2!
Presume (a) shot(s) have been fired in a place that doesn't allow weapons, such a place could be rigged with sensitive boom mics to triangulate the shooter(s), and lets say.. automatically fire nonlethal beanbags? high pressure water? electrified net(maybe unwise)?, tranquilizer darts?!, and of course notify local police upon trigger..

There's also the panic trigger! For when someone is threatening but hasn't fired, say a bank robber, once again sensitive machinery, picks up the average heartbeat of the people inside the bank and makes a judgement based on the average heart rate whether to notify authorities, this is an alternative to the banks standard panic button.

Thoughts/Ideas/Comments

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I like have pretty much no idea what your idea or framing for the topic of discussion is but if we're talking about the unique mish-mash of socially consequential crap that makes America King of the Shooting Spree we should start with taking all the people who say that it is impossible/unconscionable/way too controlling to regulate guns as consistently and thoroughly as we do, for instance, the ability to drive cars, kick them from office, and replace them with people who have figured out that mental health care and support networks should not be the first on the list of great things to cut to get our finances in order to the pleasure of grover norquist.

then mysteriously watch our problems recede, it's a christmas miracle.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I did a double take, as Grover and I share the same last name.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I like have pretty much no idea what your idea or framing for the topic of discussion is but if we're talking about the unique mish-mash of socially consequential crap that makes America King of the Shooting Spree we should start with taking all the people who say that it is impossible/unconscionable/way too controlling to regulate guns as consistently and thoroughly as we do, for instance, the ability to drive cars, kick them from office, and replace them with people who have figured out that mental health care and support networks should not be the first on the list of great things to cut to get our finances in order to the pleasure of grover norquist.

then mysteriously watch our problems recede, it's a christmas miracle.

So in other words, we need some anger management hotlines, similar to suicide hotlines meh?

This topic is more about preventing and handling weapons in places where they shouldn't be, Schools, Banks, Airports, certain public events, other special places where bringing weaponry is socially unacceptable, like the zoo?

So we have 2 sections 1 for preventing and detecting these circumstances, and 1 for handling them if they were to happen.

It's something I do with everything really, I've drawn up home designs to trap buglers in my home, I've dozens of strategies for handling robberies at my work place, I even had a ton for when I was in school in case something like these recent events were to happen.

-
Cool story time, it's relative!
A couple years ago I was watching a t.v. show somewhat similar to myth busters, but these people tested technology, and one of their challenges was to trap bank robbers on their escape or entry.. well there was this neat thing they had going, basically there was tile on top of a sand pit, at the very bottom of the sand pit there were pvc pipes that blew out air, naturally people walking on the tile didn't notice a thing, but once their air began blowing from the pvc pipes, the sand became quick, and the tiles and the people standing on them sank quickly into it, and it even works for vehicles as well, of course I recall them running into 1 problem is getting the air to be equally distributed out of the pvc pipe, as it lessens farther from the source. But I watched them test this and it worked beautifully.

[ December 17, 2012, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Rawrain ]

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't paid much attention here, but I was thinking about the many Facebook posts I have seen over the last few days.

Why are conservatives only in favor of better funding for health/welfare programs like supporting mental health when they are worried about losing their weapons? Liberals have been saying for years that you can reduce crime by increasing money to such programs.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

As I said, this topic is about the situations, NOT about the mentally unstable or poor useage of firearms and of course how/why they should be banned.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
The number/severity of mental health cases in this country, and how we respond to them, is inextricably linked to crime prevention in general though.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Well if you want to topic change, we should move people from high population density area's to lower population density areas for a start.

My once very small town, has more than doubled in size since I was little and the crime rate followed and then some, given that I live an apartment surrounded by drug addicts and people who don't care if I get sleep before I have to work, I can see why situations like this lead people to becoming psychologically damaged, that and.. screwed up childhoods, and "being born that way", then there's also PTSD which can be cause by pretty much anything that's traumatic.. we're so fragile.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rawrain:
Presume (a) shot(s) have been fired in a place that doesn't allow weapons, such a place could be rigged with sensitive boom mics to triangulate the shooter(s), and lets say.. automatically fire nonlethal beanbags? high pressure water? electrified net(maybe unwise)?, tranquilizer darts?!, and of course notify local police upon trigger..

And if the system gets hacked, or someone drops their books too loudly, or sets off a fire cracker, or if Skynet takes over the system we get our kids beanbaged/waterjetted/elctro netted/tranq darted?

This is no bueno. Lo siento amigo.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Self contained system not linked to the internet, a simple security camera in the room with the machine to see if someone is hacking it in person, or a nice metal door with only 1 key is always nice, books don't sound like bullets, fire crackers being set off in school someone should be bean bagged for that, definitely dangerous to all the students, gl skynet attaching yourself to a machine that's not hooked up to wifi, and if that's the case anyways, wouldn't we have other problems that would be more pressing...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.