FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you were a professor at Hogwarts, what class would you teach?

Author Topic: If you were a professor at Hogwarts, what class would you teach?
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my friends posted this on FB today. I thought it was funny.

So.....

[ January 09, 2013, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: brojack17 ]

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Defense against the dark arts.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
English. It's "Hogwarts", no apostrophe. There was no Mr Hogwart who started a school.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
That I'm qualified for? Muggle Studies.

It's unclear if Hogwarts has a Bardic Arts class.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Probably DATDA or maybe Divination under the fanon hypothesis that whats her face is just really really bad at it 99% of the time and that its possible to glean some good information from it with the right approach and mindset.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it would matter since Professor Binns apparently has tenure until the end of time, but I would totally teach History of Magic.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
English. It's "Hogwarts", no apostrophe. There was no Mr Hogwart who started a school.

Thanks. I just copied from FB and didn't notice. Fixed.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

Here were a couple of my favorites from his FB post:
Quidditch handicapping
IT Security: Defense Against the Dark Arts
Tarot Poker & Bridge

Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
Me: appalomancy
Sam k: defense against the contemporary arts
Tetris: deus ex machinomancy
Ray: numismatism and mastication

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I would want to teach Apparation. Misbehave in my class and you never come back.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
I would want to teach Apparation. Misbehave in my class and you never come back.

[Laugh]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
P.E
Math.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Physical self defense and battlefield tactics.

Did you see that last movie? are there no wizard generals?

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
Cultural Anthropology. We could discuss the cultural appropriation humans practiced with goblins, and the exploitation humans partook of with house elves.
Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
Physical self defense and battlefield tactics.

Did you see that last movie? are there no wizard generals?

Ever have any dream of defeating voldemort, as yourself, with a handgun? I have.

"Smile you son of a"

"Yippie Kai Yay, moth--"

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
Escapism. Should come in handy when stumbling across some of nastier critters and/or persons.
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Emreecheek:
Cultural Anthropology. We could discuss the cultural appropriation humans practiced with goblins, and the exploitation humans partook of with house elves.

*Groan*

You are the AT&T of people.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I like how in the Nasuverse (Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Zero, Tsukihime, etc) Wizards actually regularly learn martial arts just because of some of those weaknesses if someone manages to get too close.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Care of Magical Creatures [Big Grin]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Marksmanship
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
quote:

*Groan*

Your face is the AT&T of faces.
Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Procrastinancy. Extra fancy.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

*Groan*

He wants more bars in more places?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
Psychology of Death: How does death really feel like. Class includes: Dead People Paintings Interview, Ghost Interviews (as well as their death experiences trapped in a Pensieve), Priori Incantatem (right?) Dead People Interview, Resurrection Stone and How to Use It. Last class: Basics of Good Wizarding PR: Jesus Christ of Nazaret and How To Turn a Major Wizarding Secrecy Violation into a Muggle-Controlling Phenomenon.
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
History of the Theory and Use of Magic

How the understanding and use of magic has changed over the ages. Slightly different from history in that it has more of a theoretical side. I guess it's the advanced version of what Professor Binns teaches "until the end of time".

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
quote:

*Groan*

He wants more bars in more places?
You need to watch Community, Lyr. [Razz]

Maybe this this will clear things up.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd teach Spell Design. That has to be a field; who came up with all those spells?
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Procrastinancy. Extra fancy.

I think this is an absolutely necessary class. It's amazing how many timely do-gooders don't grasp that waiting until the last minute allows one to explode with a level of power of which they hadn't previously imagined themselves capable. Similar to Tantra.

ETA: Sorry KoM. I meant "good-dooders."

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Death Avoidance/First Aid

Since, just about everything they do can and routinely does lead to death, disfigurement, pain, and mental anguish--a class teaching emergency magical first-aid, how not to inhale caustic fumes in potions class, how to fall safely--even from a speeding death trap called a broom, etc. would be a necessity.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Tasteful Attire--since no one in the wizarding world seems to have a clue. And maybe a special remedial personal grooming class for Snape.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Transportational Inquiry. Less a class more like an upper year workshop.

Because there must be a way to enchant something other than a broom (or an ugly old car) to fly.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
And don't forget Hagrid's ridiculous flying motorcycle, with and without rocket assist.

Voldemort did not need a broom to fly. Some of the Deatheaters like Belatrix were able to fly without brooms, as well. That sounds like the best way to go.

One advantage of the flying Anglia, though, is that it would keep the wind out of your face, so you could go faster.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would prefer to teach at an affiliated university, rather than effectively teaching middle or high school level classes at Hogwarts itself. I would teach a subset of these classes:

AMS101: Introduction to Applied Magical Science
Mathematical limits of and exceptions to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration.

AMS201: Applied Magical Science
Ineteraction between GLET and thermodynamics: funadamentals of heat, momentum, and mass transfer effected through magical means.

AMS211: Automation of Magical Systems
Laplace transforms and process control algorithms adapted for magical systems. Effects of time-altering magic on feedback and feedforward controllers.

AMS221: Statistics for Wizards and Witches
Statistical design and analysis of magical experiments. Statistical inference, hypothesis testing, and significance.

AMS331: Industrial Magic
Applications in manufacturing, statistical quality control in magical mass production.

AMS301: Magical Thermodynamics
Applications of GLET-PR and GLET-Gibbs equations to chemical separation and reaction systems.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow twinky...that is possibly the most nerdy thing I've ever read, and I once read a Buffy novel.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuzzy
Member # 12928

- posted      Profile for Fuzzy           Edit/Delete Post 
Physics or computer science, because I'm a muggle and proud of it.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.