FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I agree with this guy. (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: I agree with this guy.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Steven, if you are going to start bring up the bogus Dr. Price crap again, I will link to the thread you made LAST time. I still have it saved, you know. Just like I said I would.

It's bunk. Poor science. And it's been proven that year after year, decade after decade, and time after time.

Let me know if you want me to post that thread again. Just keep talking about Price.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Steven, if you are going to start bring up the bogus Dr. Price crap again, I will link to the thread you made LAST time. I still have it saved, you know. Just like I said I would.

It's bunk. Poor science. And it's been proven that year after year, decade after decade, and time after time.

Let me know if you want me to post that thread again. Just keep talking about Price.

I didn't link to Dr. Price. There are other cat studies in the world, sir. [Smile]

But feel free to link to it. I eat almost exactly the same diet then as I do now, minus most of the dairy, and I still look and feel quite a few years younger than my age. I keep eating this way because it works, not because I can prove it to your satisfaction, or anyone else's.

The fact that, nearly 8 years later, I'm still eating almost exactly the same diet, after fumbling through 6 or 8 different diets for the 6 years before that, says pretty powerfully that I've found something that really works, at least for me. I didn't settle on this diet because of ideology. My many failed attempts at making other diets work PRIOR to this one are evidence of that.

Seriously, dude. Can you say you still feel and look pretty much as good as you did in 2005? I mostly can. The lines on my face are a little deeper, and more of the baby fat on me is gone, and the hairline is a little farther back, and I have 10 or 12 white hairs now, but otherwise, I look the same. I also feel every bit as good as I did then. If this didn't work, I would change it. I have a long history of changing my diet when something doesn't work.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
However, they are the only large, modern society that eats a fair amount of raw meat/fish, so they are the example I have to go with.
And has there been literally any study done that shows that any of their longetivity is from the raw meat and fish consumption? Like, any data at all you could source for the claim you're effectively making?
I'm not even sure that it actually IS from the raw meat/fish. I only know that

1. I generally feel better (lighter, more energetic) when I'm eating nearly or totally 100% raw (and that is VERY commonly reported from people trying a mostly or all-raw diet)

2. Cooking meat/fish makes the protein less absorbable

3. cooking creates toxic compounds (heterocyclic amines and advanced glycation end-products)

4. cooking reduces the amount of water-soluble nutrients in food

5. The Japanese people have the greatest longevity of any large population on earth

6.the Japanese eat quite a bit more raw fish/meat than any other developed nation. (if you disagree, please feel free to look up the derivation of the word sashimi).

Those things I know.

Yeah, you know these points individually, but unless we have something showing that the points are linked, you still haven't made a case for raw foods that go beyond anecdote, which is susceptible to personal perceptive faultiness and bias, of which no human is immune.

quote:
But let's be honest, Sam. You're asking for studies, but studies have little to do with what you actually have eaten throughout your life. Socialization and availability have played a much larger role. That's true for nearly every human who has ever eaten anything, including myself. I'm sure you agree.
Yes, and? "What I or you have typically eaten in our lives" is far different than "Proof that a certain diet is better for you" — I am asking for the latter and it does not in any way categorically require involvement in any way of the former.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, it looks like we're in agreement about the lack of thousands of peer-reviewed double-blind studies on the health benefits of raw versus cooked. They just don't exist, and I'd bet they never will.

I guess I'm not sure where you want to take the discussion right now. I can't read your mind. Keep in mind that I discuss and study these issues every day, and I have for over a decade. I'm scraping my brain, trying to remember exactly what motivated me to try raw, and trying to remember what my food attitudes were like back then, so I can better understand where you're coming from. I'm not coming up with much, though. I don't even remember what it's like to crave unhealthy foods. It's been years since I had those cravings, and memory fades. I can enjoy cooked foods, and even junky foods, but I don't think about them unless they're right in front of me.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.