FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lets try fantasy this time

Author Topic: Lets try fantasy this time
madvogon
Member # 12938

- posted      Profile for madvogon           Edit/Delete Post 
Lets try this again. This time I'm looking for fantasy novels. Once again, considering where we are, let us ignore the obvious (Alvin Maker).

Here are my favorites.

First, the obvious. Michael Moorecock's Elric and the rest of the Eternal Champion
In the same vein, CJ Cherryh's Morgaine novels.
Terry Goodkin's Sword of Truth
Steven R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books (although I have not yet read the current trilogy)

Now to move farther afield.
Robert E. Vardeman, particularly the Cenotaph Road, although the Swords of Raemelyn will make you tear your heir out as he jumped publishers with two books to go. I still hope for a Camber the Heretic style publication more than 20 years later
Kaherine Kurtz' Deryni books
Just about anything by Angus Wells although the Wrath of Ashar is particularly good. Under the pen name Richard Kirk, there was the wonderful popcorn Raven series, basically a female Elric with sex.
Louise Cooper, may she rest in peace. I am particularly fond of the Time Master trilogy, which I was lucky enough to discover in the Unwyn edition while visiting Toronto better than 5 years before the books were published in the US. Indigo is a facinating concept, but it took me two books to figure out why the writing felt off -- heavy handed editing and over-Americanization of her prose.
Kristine Katherine Rusch, The Fae and The Black Queen, also The Heart Readers.
Another favorite now deceased, Jack Chalker's Dancing Gods. This tongue in cheek series is a lot of fun, after all, it includes the mighty magical sword, Irving.

This list could go on much much longer, but I want to see what other people say, as I am always in the market for new books.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
From The Dark Tower to Harry Potter to Harry Dresden. I like the modern world meeting fantasy much more than Lord of the Rings style.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I've loved Charles DeLint's stories. Again, modern fantasy, but still very nice.

Weber wrote a series who's name I forget, but who's next book I am waiting with anticipation. Its about the redemption of a cursed Orc like race.

Finally, "Game of Thrones". Enough said.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Game of Thrones.

The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

The Black Prism (Lightbringer) - Brent Weeks

All great books

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
After having GRRM's Game of Thrones suggested strongly by this forum I bought the four books (that were out at the time) and had the worst time reading them. They are, in my opinion, the worst fantasy novels I have ever read.

Brandon Sanderson writes brilliant stuff. And my wife and I have devoured both The Sword of Truth series and the Dresden series.

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Pawn of Prophecy - Eddings

Riftwar Cycle - Feist

The Empire Trilogy - Feist/Wurts

Narnia - Lewis

Farseer - Hobb

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ael
Member # 12784

- posted      Profile for Ael           Edit/Delete Post 
Trying only to name things that haven't already been named--several of those already named get a 'hear, hear!' from me. [Smile]

The Rook - Daniel O'Malley. A great first book. Pretty much anything I can say aside from 'urban fantasy set in Britain' would be spoilers.

Chalion series - Lois McMaster Bujold. Her other fantasy series is basically romance, so I can't recommend it. This one, on the other hand, is great. She made the world from scratch.

Anything solely authored by Larry Correia - the two series so far that I know of are the Monster Hunter books and the Grimnoir Chronicles. Both are great. Monster Hunter was what he started with, but it gets better as it goes on. Grimnoir Chronicles are great.

Finally, because I can't stop myself, a 'hear, hear!' for the Dresden series. Lots of books, each one better than the last. Butcher also wrote a series called the Codex Alera, which is nice, but not as good as the Dresden books in my opinion. It's not urban fantasy, so if you prefer 'sword and horse,' it might be right up your alley.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

I loved the first four Game of Thrones books. I keep putting down the fifth, reading something else, and going back to it.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
I loved the first four Game of Thrones books.

You misspelled the word "three", there.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Neither of you guys can spell "all."
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
I loved the first four Game of Thrones books.

You misspelled the word "three", there.
[ROFL]

I am actually that rare person that enjoyed book 4. Except for the last page of course.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Game of Thrones is probably the best written fantasy novels I've ever read. Martin isn't afraid to do what he wants and you have to respect that. He's also very talented when it comes to his line by line writing. The descriptions, dialogue, and just his general prose are really fun to read.

Right now I'm reading Pathfinder by OSC, which I suppose is part scifi and part fantasy. It's pretty good so far, but I'm only a few chapters in. I'm not sure where it's going yet, though, so we'll see. Anyone finished both books so far?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been exposed to a lot more recent fantasy in the past year or so. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch are my favorites among the bunch.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
Game of Thrones is probably the best written fantasy novels I've ever read. Martin isn't afraid to do what he wants and you have to respect that. He's also very talented when it comes to his line by line writing. The descriptions, dialogue, and just his general prose are really fun to read.

I can't trust anything this board recommends anymore.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
I second (or third, or fourth, or whatever) Game of Thrones. It's not for everybody, but I love it!

I also love Tolkien and Terry Brooks when it comes to fantasy. Beyond that, I'm not a huge fan of the genre.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
madvogon
Member # 12938

- posted      Profile for madvogon           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for many good suggestion, several of which I had not encountered before.

Yeah, I should have included Brooks and Feist in my gimme list. Here's a few more I thought of while reading this thread:

For those who enjoyed Game of Thrones: I cannot recommend enough Kevin J. Angerson's Terra Incognita. Anderson has stated on the record that he spent 15 years working on this one and it shows similar craft and depth worthy of George RR Martin.

Tom DeHaven. The first book is called The King's Tramp. I think the series is Walker of Worlds.

Jennifer Roberson's Cheysuli Chronicles. These books are an interesting exercise in that they are the fulfillment of a multi-generational 2 line prophesy. I am not so fond of Swordmaker and its sequels.

William Fortschen. Yeah, he was on my SF list for Lost Regiment, but the Ice Prophet trilogy remains some of the best fiction I've read in 30 years. The scariest thing is these books appeared out of nowhere in the expansion of Audible over the last six months.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I've heard really good things about the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ael
Member # 12784

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
Right now I'm reading Pathfinder by OSC, which I suppose is part scifi and part fantasy. It's pretty good so far, but I'm only a few chapters in. I'm not sure where it's going yet, though, so we'll see. Anyone finished both books so far?

Yes. I liked the first book better than the second.

He wrote another young-adult novel around the same time as Pathfinder, The Lost Gate, which I enjoyed more.

[ February 10, 2013, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Ael ]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
I've loved Charles DeLint's stories. Again, modern fantasy, but still very nice.

Weber wrote a series who's name I forget, but who's next book I am waiting with anticipation. Its about the redemption of a cursed Orc like race.

Finally, "Game of Thrones". Enough said.

Weber's was the "War God" series, and the race was the hradani. Good books so far.

LOTR
The Hobbit
Loved Tom Deitz, pretty much all of them. Good fun playing with American Indian and Irish myths.
Dresden Files
Harry Potter
American Gods by Gaimon
Anything by Charles de Lint
Terry Brooks "Running with the Demon" and sequels

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien
Game of Thrones
The two Kushiel's trilogies
Golden Compass
Phantom Tollbooth
Sandman

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Forgot about Pullman and Gaiman. Love the books written by both of them.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read Mike Carey's Unwritten? It's a weird vertigo comic about a fantasy book, with in the story's modern world, and it bleeds itself into the main characters life.

It's not in my list because I have mixed feeling about the art. It's a little washed out. And the alliteration in the main characters name feels kind a cheesy.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy and Brent Weeks's Night Angel Trilogy are two of the greatest modern fantasy works. Kind of surprised they haven't been mentioned yet.

Other than that, I'll second Neil Gaiman. Neverwhere and The Graveyard Book are both worth a good look.

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
Madeleine L'Engle's A Swiftly Tilting Planet takes the cake for me, though I'm definitely a fan of Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan, and Orson Scott Card (obviously). Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials series is excellent.

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis are so foundational that I generally don't list them as my favorites. They're sort of a given. But if you want some interesting non-conventional fantasy from Lewis, give his Space Trilogy a try. I know that it's framed as science fiction, but it's really just a fantasy in space--either extremely light on the science, or totally nonscientific--with his usual theological underpinnings. The third one is the most provocative as it takes place on Earth, in a fairly modern society.

I grew up reading Brian Jacques' Redwall series and Harry Potter. Also, Diana Wynn-Jones' Chrestomanci series is pretty good YA fantasy. Neil Gaiman's Coraline is short and creepy. I still need to read The Graveyard Book.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Could not get into anything Brent Weeks has written. I've tried several times because his books sound so intriguing. I'll probably give him one more try at some point.

I love Joe Abercrombie. Great style and always a great story.

James Barclay's Chronicles of the Raven is worth checking out, IMO.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
Could not get into anything Brent Weeks has written. I've tried several times because his books sound so intriguing. I'll probably give him one more try at some point.

The Night Angel Trilogy is fantasy crack. The writing is serviceable, the characters are archetypes, and it seems terribly derivative of Robert Jordan; but it's fast paced and compelling. Lots of action, intrigue, and great plotting.

I've read most of the Black Prism. Weeks attempts to escape the shadow of Jordan and create his own world, trying for a new "novelty" magic system, ala Brandon Sanderson. It works, kind of, but it isn't all that interesting or compelling. I don't often put down a book that I've nearly finished, but. . . .

Maybe Brent would be better off writing D&D or Star Wars. He's a good writer, but he's a terrible world builder.

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vegimo
Member # 12618

- posted      Profile for vegimo           Edit/Delete Post 
Clive Barker
Posts: 95 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:

I love Joe Abercrombie. Great style and always a great story.

I just picked up a book by him the other day based on an online recommendation.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm quite fond of Diane Duane's Young Wizards series too.
Ael
Member # 12784

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
I'm quite fond of Diane Duane's Young Wizards series too.

Me too. And The Book of Night with Moon is also rather nice. [Smile]
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter V. Brett's latest installment in his Demon War fantasy series was just released. It's called "The Daylight War." The first book in the series is "The Warded Man" or "The Painted Man" in the UK.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ael
Member # 12784

Oh, I just remembered one I can't believe I didn't mention before. Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid chronicles are good fun. The first one is "Hounded."
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, thanks for the heads up, Belle. I've been waiting for the next book in that series for a while now.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.