FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Playstation 4 Officially Announced

Author Topic: Playstation 4 Officially Announced
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
There was a live stream of a 2 hour press conference and it just ended. Here is what happened:

-The PS4 will be released this holiday season

-It will utilize a cloud gaming system known as Gaikai, which will allow for a large number of things, such as being able to stream games from every Playstation generation as well as current ones. You will be also be able to stream new games, trying them out (like a demo) and only having to purchase or download the ones you like.

-Better graphics (obviously)

-The ability to back completely out of a game and then go right back into it at the same spot you left it with absolutely zero repercussions.

-A new dual shock controller that has motion control capabilities

-You can play games while they are downloading, similar to what Steam already allows

-A button on the new controller will allow you to share and upload clips of your gaming experiences (up to the last fifteen minutes), which will be great for people who love to show their videos on youtube or whatever

-You can observe your friends playing their games (spectator mode, essentially) and even take over their controls to help them out if they allow it

-You can play PS4 games on your PS Vita. Basically, the Vita will act like a portable second screen for the PS4, allowing you to walk around the house with a mobile version of the game as it runs on your PS4, much in the same way that the Wii U's controller does.

-The Playstation Network will have profiles that resemble facebook, listing your trophies and other stats for the world to see. This new system will also allow you to use your real name, rather than a gamer tag, though it is entirely optional (you can still use a gamer tag if you want).

-Here are the games so far.

On a side note, Square Enix announced that at E3 there will be a new Final Fantasy revealed, which will be on the PS4. Also, Bungie's new MMO style shooter will be on the PS4, as well as current gen systems.

A few things that they did NOT talk about (but most likely will as the year goes on, probably at E3):

-Pricing

-What the console actually looks like

More will be revealed at E3.

This is pretty exciting. I'm definitely going to wait and see what happens at E3, but the reality is that Sony definitely made a strong case for their new system. Microsoft is supposedly going to announce sometime within the next few months, so we'll see who comes out on top. As it stands, they'll have some strong competition.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to motion control on the Dualshock, it also has a built in camera/motion sensor system. Basically, they've integrated the Microsoft Kinnect directly into the PS4 base unit.

I think connecting the PS4 to the Vita is a splendid idea. The Wii U is great for party games. I wasn't particularly enthralled with it for regular old games, but it had some truly neat, innovative ideas for groups that made having a second and third screen really very useful. I'd like to see the price on the Vita come down a touch, but I get they see sales tick up, so it's a smart marketing decision. I wasn't aware the Vita had built in Wifi.

There's no way I'll be able to afford this thing, I'll be sticking with my PS3 for awhile, but it looks like a beauty. I just don't play enough games to justify the cost, especially for how pricey the games are. It'll be months before I can even afford Sim City 5.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Nintendo is in for a rough ride this console cycle.

I'm perfectly aware this has been said numerous times before and then some game like Donkey Kong Country and Pokemon shows up, and everybody laughs at the critics.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
able to stream games from every Playstation generation as well as current ones
If this actually happens, I will be a console early adopter for the first time in my life. Cuz...srsly. Been waiting for something like that for years now.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone explain how the game streaming works without latency? Does it use cloud-computing or does it actually download the game without installing?
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Infamous and Watch Dogs look sick.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by C3PO the Dragon Slayer:
Can someone explain how the game streaming works without latency? Does it use cloud-computing or does it actually download the game without installing?

you can play the game before you download the essential paid DLC
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. I can finally get the PS3 used for a really good price.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd buy it Day 1 if they released a sequel to Ni No Kuni (or something like it). That game was great.

I'm curious about the E3 Final Fantasy announcement. It will either be a brand new entry in the series (aka Final Fantasy 15) or, and this is more likely, Final Fantasy Versus 13.

Thoughts?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
I'm curious about the E3 Final Fantasy announcement. It will either be a brand new entry in the series (aka Final Fantasy 15) or, and this is more likely, Final Fantasy Versus 13.

The fact that Square showed up to announce an announcement for a game that was announced nearly seven years ago was my favorite takeaway from the conference, personally.
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
The pricing speculation I've seen (while understanding that it is just rampant speculation) puts the PS4 much closer to $1000 than $500 - which is so far out of my budget that it's not even funny.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
there is literally zero chance that the ps4 would be a thousand bucks unless the head of sony is suffering from mercury poisoning and thinks he's the queen of narnia (which i guess can't totally be ruled out)
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.