FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ender's Game

Author Topic: Ender's Game
Stephen D.
Member # 12966

- posted      Profile for Stephen D.           Edit/Delete Post 
This was my favorite book when i read it 10 years ago, and still remains my favorite today. I'm not a huge SciFi fan, but there was something different about this book that I really enjoyed. Where did the idea of the "buggers" come from and the third child logic? I also heard there was supposed to be a movie coming out, what happened with that? I never got into the follow up from Ender's game but I heard it didn't quite compare. Any thoughts on that?
Stephen

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny. I never would have mentioned those two aspects as unique to the book. Insectoid alien invaders have been used elsewhere, and China's two child policy has inspired that "logic" in other works as well. Even the anisible was lifted from another novel.

It is my favorite book as well, and he did a great job of universe building.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thesifer
Member # 12890

- posted      Profile for Thesifer           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/
Posts: 164 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a great book, but Stephan is right, Buggers and Thirds aren't particularly rare. Even the idea of training up prodigy children is far from unique. But the way Card manages to weave the story is simply remarkable.

I'm trying to think about what the most unique individual element of the book would be... maybe the battle room?

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it my imagination, or did Facebook tell me this movie hits theaters on November 1ST?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, that is the stated release date. It's so weird to think that's only just more than seven months away.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I know. Back when I joined Hatrack, an Ender's Game movie was just a pipe dream.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. Though there are also still days where I forget that Duke Nukem Forever is actually a real, finished game.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully the Ender's Game movie will be more worth the wait than Duke Nukem Forever.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
And yet Super Mario Bros. 2 will never exist.

Almost twenty years...

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
Same here. Though there are also still days where I forget that Duke Nukem Forever is actually a real, finished game.

It's probably a good thing you forget that.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:

Almost twenty years...

?
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
!
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh the movie, hah, yea...
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jebus202:
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:

Almost twenty years...

?
Actually the true Super Mario Bros 2 is this game. If you ever give the original game a whirl (It's on the Wii shopping channel) it produces hours of hilarity. You will most likely die within 10-15 seconds of starting the first level.

It was deemed to similar to the first game, and much too hard, so the American version of Super Mario Bros 2 was a re-skinning of the game Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki .

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.