FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC Reviews: Jack and Oz (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: OSC Reviews: Jack and Oz
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it's not so good that you should do it and then pat yourself on the back for doing the Lord's work, while the truly underprivileged people of this world suffer and starve
I've always felt that Roger Ebert was a monster for choosing to go into film criticism rather than becoming a doctor. In fact, we're all monsters here.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
It's a good thing, but it's not so good that you should do it and then pat yourself on the back for doing the Lord's work, while the truly underprivileged people of this world suffer and starve.

To be sure, are you trying to make the case in any way that because there are objectively worse concerns for the human condition, my entire quantity of effort spent talking about this one is, regardless of relevance or personal interest in the notion, frivolous, wasted, or disagreeable on any of these lines?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Not at all. Nor is there anything monstrous about focusing on parts of life that are not of the utmost moral importance.

What bothers me is when people focus on these less important parts of life and then justify that by convincing themselves that the issues that move them personally are the most important ones, when in fact they're tertiary at best. I've had people look askance at me for enjoying Seth McFarlane's Oscar hosting, who wouldn't dream of judging me for spending money frivolously rather than giving it to the less fortunate. But the latter thing matters so much more. So many people on the left don't have their priorities straight anymore. This is what bothers me.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sure, he beats his wife, but he donated $5 million to cancer research!"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think that's really telling, Tom. It's snarky, and you don't bother to explain what you mean... but I do think it underlies a real problem with the priorities Destineer seems to have laid out.

Here's another one:

"Sure, he cured cancer, but he financially supports heteronormative fiction!"

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

Abusing your spouse is very bad morally, on an entirely different scale from enjoying or producing morally questionable art. I've also never said anything to imply that being very good in one aspect of life can compensate for being very bad in another way. So I'm not sure why you think the attitude Tom is making fun of has anything to do with my own views.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
That's fair. I thought I saw the glimmer of something useful in his joke as it related to you, but I think I was wrong. Certainly, I can't articulate it. Sorry if I gave offense. [Smile]
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

Far from it, I was just unclear about what the problem for me was supposed to be. Especially since Tom didn't say anything himself to explain it.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Well, the problem is that you're ludicrously overstating the issue.

I doubt you'll find a feminist alive who'll say, "Oh, yeah, there's a meteor heading for the planet to wipe out all life on Earth, but I really think we need to fire the scientist leading the deflection effort because he's such a chauvinist."

In the real world, people are capable of focusing on multiple things at once, and observing that some people are jerks is not in fact a distraction from "important issues."

----------

quote:
I've had people look askance at me for enjoying Seth McFarlane's Oscar hosting, who wouldn't dream of judging me for spending money frivolously...
I'd be one of those people. Spend money frivolously all you like; enjoying McFarlane's humor is far, far worse. [Wink]
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well no more reviews. Rhino times is shutting down:

http://greensboro.rhinotimes.com/Articles-Articles-c-2013-04-30-215617.112113-Rhino-Says-Goodbye.html

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
That is really sad.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking about this more, I don't see OSC stopping reviewing stuff (or writing about politics). He puts the articles on his website after a week, and the politics stuff had other sites as weel. And it's not like Rhino Times ever paid him (he mentioned that in some random column that I am not even going to try to find), so I suspect that he might not have bothered doing things like getting reimbursed for taking his family to the movies or saying it was a tax deduction for his job as reviewer.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:

1. Who are the parties involved in the discourse, and which has more power? How is that power exercised, if there were a conflict between the parties?

2. If the power is held by a group, who WITHIN that group is choosing the actual wording of of the discourse?

I doubt any Foucaultian scholar would ask those questions.

Sorry I haven't really read any other post in the thread.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.