FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer-TV connection question - Mayfly

Author Topic: Computer-TV connection question - Mayfly
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
So I've decided to get rid of my old tube TV that I was using in my bedroom. It was hooked up to an ancient DVD player and it worked pretty well for me as a set up. Now I'm using a 32 inch flatscreen, but when I hooked up the DVD player to it, the picture was absolutely awful.

The TV is pretty close to my computer tower. Would it be possible to hook the TV into my computer and play DVDs off my computer but still use my regular monitor the way I do now? Basically, I guess, can I split screen between my TV and my monitor and use one of the screens to play a movie?

Actually, now that I think about it, splitscreening would probably increase my productivity, so there's another reason to want to make that work.

Edit to add: Okay, I was going to try it via HDMI connection, but my tower appears to have some sort of mini-HDMI connection instead of the standard, so that's out. The TV has a port for a monitor cable (VGA?), but oddly the back of the tower has two what I think are DVI ports. The monitor has an open VGA cable port, so could I connect the TV and the Monitor and make that work somehow?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I have a TV flat screen hooked up by HDMI, it just works like a second monitor.

Converters for DVI to VGA are easy to find, you probably got some with your video card.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

So that's what those little adapters were that I keep losing?

I'd have to buy one, I have no idea where all my loose odds and ends are. Would you suggest buying a DVI to VGA cord/adapter, or an HDMI to HDMI mini cable? Is there a difference quality wise (for the image, I mean)?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my tower appears to have some sort of mini-HDMI connection instead of the standard, so that's out
No, it's not. You can buy a mini-HDMI to full-HDMI cable for $5, and that's all you'll need.

If you try to connect to the VGA port on the TV, you'll be limiting the resolution of your connection. Stick to HDMI.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Got it.

Thanks!

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I have my laptop hooked up to my flat pannel tv, for netflix, YouTube and video gaming, with a VGA.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
That "mini-HDMI" might also be a "display port" connector, which I think would be more likely on a tower. There also cheap adapters available for converting that to HDMI.

Display Port:
http://www.thegamersblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/DisplayPort.jpg

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It doesn't quite look like that.

I think I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 graphics card. I'm pretty sure it has two DVI ports and an HDMI mini, though now you have me wondering.

MattP
Member # 10495

Yeah, that card has a mini-HDMI.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Blu-Ray players are pretty cheap nowadays. The Sony ones have Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
DVI to HDMI is the preferred cable in this instance.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's not. HDMI to HDMI is preferred, as long as you have it, since it will also carry audio and is considered an encrypted connection for things like Blu-Ray playback.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
You might have to make sure your video card handles the audio directly; some models would require an additional audio pass through connection (inside the case).
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

The GTX 460 passes audio out through its mini-HDMI port. But you want to make sure that the cable you buy actually carries audio, since not all mini-HDMI cables do.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I ordered this cable last night and it should be here tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it handles sound too. Looking forward to finally making fuller use of all these doodads.

Now if I can just figure out a way to hook it into my soundbar/subwoofer system, that'd be even better.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

What's your AV receiver like?
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I ordered this cable last night and it should be here tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it handles sound too. Looking forward to finally making fuller use of all these doodads.

Now if I can just figure out a way to hook it into my soundbar/subwoofer system, that'd be even better.

Your TV probably has an "audio out" port of some type, either optical, digital, or analog. Just figure out what type it has, and then run a cable from that port to your soundbar.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
What's your AV receiver like?

I have this system. You're supposed to hook up everything through the subwoofer. Previously I had my PS3, TV and one or two other things all hooked into the back of the subwoofer, and then you can cycle through them.

I suppose I could hook the TV into the subwoofer and just plug the HDMI cable from the computer into the subwoofer, but I'm not sure if that'd work. I never had a problem playing video games and the like using the central unit as a switching station.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

The system, as described, does both audio and video pass-through; this is true of most modern AV switchers. This means you should be able to run HDMI into the subwoofer from the video card, then run another HDMI cable from the subwoofer into the TV.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Awesome! I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Okay, I got the image to show up on the TV screen, but I can't get the audio to work through the soundsystem, and the picture looks really not very good. Do I need to adjust the resolution on the screen or something to make the picture look better? It looked better when my DVD player on my old tube TV played it.

this is what the back of my subwoofer looks like. I have the TV hooked into the TV out, and the computer plugged into the BD In spot. Then I set the system to BD.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Does your computer automatically detect the resolution of your screen? It should. If it doesn't, then resolution may in fact be a problem.

That said, if sound isn't working, you may first want to make sure that the drivers on your video card have been updated to the latest version.

-------

There are some threads on the Internet, like the one below, which suggest that passthrough on this unit can be problematic:
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/TV-Home-Theater/Sony-Soundbar-HT-CT150-not-displaying-video/td-p/135749

This thread has a LOT of discussion and useful things to try:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1236597/sony-ht-ct150-and-ct350/1890

MattP
Member # 10495

You have to change the audio settings in Windows to use that hdmi port instead of whatever the default is (probably a separate audio jack on the back of the computer). You may need to update your graphics card drivers to have that option.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Okay, I got the soundbar to work. Matt was right, I had to change which audio input was being used. Hooray!

I think most of my resolution problems are actually stemming from the fact that I'm just now realizing just how crappy the picture is on my TV. It's pretty blah, but I think the setup is by and large pretty good. I'll have to keep playing with it.

Thanks for those threads Tom. I tried to do a few searches before I came back here to ask, but I couldn't find anything specifically addressing my problem.

I'll address future questions to the forum Tom linked to. I think I've taken advantage of you guys enough. Thanks again! [Smile]

steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

I think most of my resolution problems are actually stemming from the fact that I'm just now realizing just how crappy the picture is on my TV. It's pretty blah, but I think the setup is by and large pretty good. I'll have to keep playing with it.

If you're playing from a DVD or Blu-ray on your computer, then the picture quality should be the same as if you were using a DVD player. If you've downloaded something, that's not necessarily the case, because a lot of downloads are compressed, which damages picture quality. Are you having picture quality issues with everything, or just downloads? If it's everything, you might want to play with the picture settings on your TV--sharpness, tint, etc.. If it's just downloads, there's not a ton you can do, other than turn down the sharpness while you're watching them, maybe.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.