FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Star Trek: Into Darkness -- FULL OF SPOILERS (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness -- FULL OF SPOILERS
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by T:man:
[qb]I still laughed at the funny lines and liked the pretty pictures, and the Jedi ninja scene on Qo'noS.

I also laughed at a lot of the Spock scenes, and did like the visuals, but by the flying car fight I was already ready to leave the theater.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it again this weekend, and did indeed enjoy it more. I just rolled with it and ignored canon.

Then I went home and watched The Wrath of Kahn with a friend, and reveled in the canon.

Last night, I watched "Space Seed" from TOS and [Roll Eyes] .

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
quote:
I probably would have enjoyed it more if the end had been 20 minutes shorter.
Abrams did what he could. He even put the Klingon home world 5 minutes away.
Yeah that bothered me. I mean, I guess I understand, you want to keep the plot moving, but couldn't they do a cut and say they'd been traveling for hours? Or use that time to, I don't know, stop and have a conversation that's longer than 60 seconds about something personal that actually matters?

quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by T:man:
[qb]I still laughed at the funny lines and liked the pretty pictures, and the Jedi ninja scene on Qo'noS.

I also laughed at a lot of the Spock scenes, and did like the visuals, but by the flying car fight I was already ready to leave the theater.
I actually didn't laugh at the Spock stuff. I didn't care for turning him into quite so obvious a punch line. The Scotty stuff was pretty good though, even though he got the same treatment.

I just rolled my eyes and snorted at the screen when the flying car scene came on. At that point I was in a sort of "sure, why the hell not?" state of mind.

quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
I watched it again this weekend, and did indeed enjoy it more. I just rolled with it and ignored canon.

Then I went home and watched The Wrath of Kahn with a friend, and reveled in the canon.

Last night, I watched "Space Seed" from TOS and [Roll Eyes] .

I watched WoK the other night too and man, so good. I read a lot of the comments which contained an ongoing debate between Into Darkness fans and WoK fans. The ID people seem to generally agree that WoK is slow and boring. Apparently no one understands the value of tension these days.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet 2.0
Member # 12719

- posted      Profile for Olivet 2.0           Edit/Delete Post 
I think maybe there is a kind of misunderstanding of what tension is.

Like, the shooting between the ships dodging debris thing? That was video-gamey and possibly thrilling, but it had no tension at all. I mean, you had to know they were going to make it. There was never any question that the movie was going to end with those two characters splatted against the hull of the Vengeance. Same with Spock chasing Khan.

Not that it wasn't fun when Cumberbatch picked up Neo's abandoned coat and flapped off into traffic, but there was never any question that they were going to catch him, juice him, and revive Kirk with his squeezings.

I think I may have discovered that the key to enjoying anything from this writing/directing team is to value the journey more than the destination. because you always know where it's going, you might as well have some interest in how it's going to get there.

Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm. Benedict Cumberbatch squeezings.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I assume Cumberbatch was created from Alan Rickman squeezings.

Who knows what the next iteration will look like? Or more importantly, sound like.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet 2.0
Member # 12719

I knew I could count on somebody to take that line and run with it, but I admit to being a tad surprised it was you two. [Big Grin]
Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't just open the book of my life and dive right in. I, like woman, am a mystery.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet 2.0
Member # 12719

Let's keep it that way [Big Grin] (I am such a geek, quoting Firefly on the internet.)
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.