FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Terra Lumina - As close to mainstream science music as I've ever heard

Author Topic: Terra Lumina - As close to mainstream science music as I've ever heard
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
So I was listening to some Symphony of Science music and I ended up downloading their Best of album they offer for free (though I threw a few dollars their way because I support the free music model and their music in particular), and after the pay page, they had a list of music they suggested. One of them was Terra Lumina, self-described as folk/rock music that explains science in perhaps a more direct way than Symphony of Science does.

And I have to say...it's pretty catchy. It does have a pretty strong vein of past cheesy folk learning songs I've heard, which seem to be more geared toward kids. But a few of these are really, really catchy. The whole album is available on Spotify as well. It might not totally be your cup of tea, but your kids might like it, and it might be a fun way to introduce them to science.

I'm not sure how many repeat listens this will get from me, but a couple of these could end up on a playlist or two of mine. I think if something like this was going to go mainstream it'd have to flip from being 70/30 learning to enjoyment to maybe something more like 40/60. But the hooks and choruses are pretty good.

Edit to add: It also has a lot of stylistic elements that I've come to associate with Christian rock, actually.

Edit to add also: The singer and style is also a lot like Owl City.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.