FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rear Projection TV - Mayfly

Author Topic: Rear Projection TV - Mayfly
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I are not looking for a new TV. We are fine with the one we have. But she works at Amazon and employees sell and give away a lot of things, they have their own Craigslist-like email chain.

A guy is offering a free 53" Pioneer 530HDi rear projection TV that is in good condition. We told him we want it, but are waiting to hear back.

Thing is, I don't know anything about these kinds of TVs. I have heard rumors about the screens burning out easily, and I don't want to inherit something that will soon become a broken giant brick in my house that I can't get rid of because it is too big to throw away and everyone wants flatscreens these days.

So, any info on this thing? Are they reliable? Would you take a free one?

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You should not, in the modern era, buy a rear projection TV. But if you get one for free and have space for it, it will not disappoint you for another couple of years. At some point, you will wind up throwing it away or giving it to someone else on Craigslist, but that may not be the end of the world.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stilesbn
Member # 11809

- posted      Profile for stilesbn   Email stilesbn         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, they are very large and take up a lot of room. The one's I've had are annoying in the day time because the screen usually isn't bright when daylight is shining through a window on it. It's not a glare problem necessarily it's like trying to watch a projector without turning off the lights.

I've never had any problems with them working though.

Posts: 362 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
If it was free and I had the space, I'd certainly take it, but I wouldn't pay for it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stilesbn:
In my experience, they are very large and take up a lot of room. The one's I've had are annoying in the day time because the screen usually isn't bright when daylight is shining through a window on it. It's not a glare problem necessarily it's like trying to watch a projector without turning off the lights.

I've never had any problems with them working though.

100% agree...very dim, huge, but work.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother had a rear-projection TV about that size, though his was an older standard-definition model. The thing weighed a ton and really dominated the room. His TV eventually got a cracked mirror down in the corner, and of course it wasn't worth it to fix it. Calibrating them can also be kind of a pain. He tried for a while to sell it, and I think he ended up giving it away because no one wanted it. I wouldn't take a free one, but that's just me.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phillyn
Member # 12597

- posted      Profile for Phillyn           Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto to Jon Boy's comment. We had one for years worked great, excellent picture but when one of the projectors packed up it wasn't worth fixing so we gave it to the repairman for $50. Was a Sony.
Posts: 40 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
My sister had one for a number of years - I think she might actually still have it. The thing was a pain in the ass to move, and I moved her something like 8 times. They're not light, and not fun to carry up stairs.

It worked well enough, though. I have no complaints about the picture quality.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.