FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » First Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug trailer released

Author Topic: First Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug trailer released
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
And it's pretty sweet

Looks great. Looks like they've added a ton of embellishments here and there to make things more exciting, and it looks like Bard is Legolas in his Will Turner outfit, but all in all I have positive feelings.

Also, it looks like they advance the plot really, really far into the book. All that might be left is the Battle of Five Armies and the return home for the next movie. That'll be a hell of a finish, though it might get tedious at that point.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Now we just wait 6 more months.

It's weird seeing Legolas in there.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Weird, but of all the changes he's making, it's probably the most reasonable.

When the studio asked Viggo if he wanted to come back as Aragorn, his response was something like "You realize these events are separated by several decades and Aragorn had nothing to do with them right?" And they never approached him again.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently those articles were working with incorrect information Lyrhawn.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/05/30/72294-viggo-turned-down-role-as-aragorn-not-so-fast/

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well, that sort of fits in with the articles I've read before. I didn't realize there were further conversations with him about it though. But I also thought they'd totally turned away from the idea of a bridge film years ago in favor of a trilogy, so that's a big change if that's in the third movie.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks pretty good. I wonder who's doing the voice of Smaug? That's one of the two biggest casting decisions to me.

Smaug will talk, right? He does in the book.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Benedict Cumberbatch is the voice of Smaug.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Benedict Cumberbatch is the voice of Smaug.

Well that should go well, hopefully. Certainly Cumby has the acting chops for it.

That's one of my favorite moments in all literature, the conversation between Smaug and Bilbo.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think Cumberbatch was a good choice.

Ron Perlman would have been a GREAT choice.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
This looks amazing. No slowmotion this time.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
his response was something like "You realize these events are separated by several decades and Aragorn had nothing to do with them right?" And they never approached him again.

If I recall correctly, Aragorn was actually probably in Rivendell when Bilbo and company showed up.

He would have been all of ten at the time, but he had moved there by that point.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:

Please, this is Peter Jackson. Copious slow motion is practically contractual.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
If I recall correctly, Aragorn was actually probably in Rivendell when Bilbo and company showed up.

He would have been all of ten at the time, but he had moved there by that point.

Really? I always thought he was older than that. Didn't he stand on that hill outside Lothlorien with the Grey Company, and the narrative implied that he had stood there something like 80 years earlier?

Edit: No, you're right, according to several websites. Huh. I need to study the stories more.

[ June 12, 2013, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:

Please, this is Peter Jackson. Copious slow motion is practically contractual.
It's so dumb in the Hobbit part 1 though. It completely neutered the final showdown to me, and the last part with the eagle was terrible. He does it in the Moria flashback too.

It has its place. One of my favorite parts of Lord of the Rings is just as Aragorn is leaving Moria. I liked it in Boromir's last stand as well.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
I need to study the stories more.

The fact that you have to do that at all is one of the reasons I could never get into those books. I love the films (the Rings trilogy, anyway), but it would seriously bug me to death if I had to sit there and try to remember all those names, dates, and so on.

Still, it's cool that some people can get into it, I suppose.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
I need to study the stories more.

The fact that you have to do that at all is one of the reasons I could never get into those books. I love the films (the Rings trilogy, anyway), but it would seriously bug me to death if I had to sit there and try to remember all those names, dates, and so on.

Still, it's cool that some people can get into it, I suppose.

Well, I say that, but I've never been a big fact wonk with LOTR, and I still love the books immensely. You don't really have to know all the backstory to enjoy LOTR. It helps enrich the experience some to know the background behind all the characters and the history of the land, but the books provide enough information themselves to enjoy the story and the world just fine.
Phillyn
Member # 12597

- posted      Profile for Phillyn           Edit/Delete Post 
What I absolutely loved when I read the Lord of the Rings for the first time were the tantalising glimpses into a history (Gondolin, the Silmarils, etc) that was clearly fully formed but which the reader was only allowed the corner pulled back on for a quick look. They were like holes in the pages that allowed a partial view of thousands of years of rich history behind the pages we could read in detail.
To me, it's one of the strengths of the book and that initial experience is one that I wish I could have over again when I reread. You don't have to remember dates and names to have that experience. Just be open to enjoying the richness of a world that should have existed.

Posts: 40 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
I think Cumberbatch was a good choice.

Ron Perlman would have been a GREAT choice.

Agreed. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Perlman from his time on the original "Beauty and the Beast" TV series. The first season of that was absolutely excellent television.

However, Cumby has MASSIVE acting chops, and they can do all kinds of amazing things, digitally, with the voice quality/timbre. Perlman's raw voice is certainly better for Smaug, but I want to see the final product before I say that I'd rather have Perlman. It would definitely be possible to Smaugify Cumby's voice without obscuring his vocal inflections too much, IMO.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I've seen Star Trek and Sherlock. I think he has great chops, although Star Trek didn't test them much. But Sherlock as a character did not have emotional range really. So I'm actually worried as to how much life his Smaug will have. Perlman has a personality gravitas that BC sells with his voice alone
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Cumberbatch does incredible vocal work. He played Islington for BBC's radio production of "Neverwhere" and the director had to clear up matters on twitter when people thought they had tweaked his voice with special effects.

Islington growls
Longer scene with a higher, breathier sound

He's also got amazing range. One of my favorite projects after his role on Sherlock, is the radio comedy "Cabin Pressure" in which he plays an anxious, hapless airline captain.

And links, because I cannot promote this show enough:

Someone is bored
Cumberbatch's character fakes a terrible French accent

He has the emotional and vocal range, I just think it'll be a matter of direction and the kind of sound that Peter Jackson is looking for. And since he's also voicing the Necromancer, I would hope that Jackson would want different vocal sounds for each to keep them distinct.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:

Most of the things you need to "study" are interesting bits of trivia and background. Overall, it doesn't really matter that Aragorn was 10 and living in Rivendell during the Hobbit. He doesn't show up, it doesn't impact the story. It's just a fun little chunk of background flavor.

Same thing with most of the other details, especially those in the appendices (not to mention the Silmarillion). They're very enjoyable for anyone into it enough to care, but it's not like you need them to like the story on its own.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that they are showing the real grown-up version of what happened behind the scenes of The Hobbit book form. That should definitely make it more LotRlike. So I'm looking forward to that.

Legolas would definitely have been present in his father's kingdom during the dwarves' imprisonment. No idea what they've done with his character, but it makes plenty of sense that he would have had a part in their treatment by the elves.

I haven't even seen the first movie yet, but this trailer set my hair on end.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by ak:
I love that they are showing the real grown-up version of what happened behind the scenes of The Hobbit book form. That should definitely make it more LotRlike. So I'm looking forward to that.

Legolas would definitely have been present in his father's kingdom during the dwarves' imprisonment. No idea what they've done with his character, but it makes plenty of sense that he would have had a part in their treatment by the elves.

I haven't even seen the first movie yet, but this trailer set my hair on end.

Adding Legolas doesn't bother me at all, and I'm about as much of a purist as you can get.

But it's looking a little bit like they might try to make the Elves like the ones in Helm's Deep, where Legolas and Tauriel are having a chat about it being "their fight" it makes it sound like they're deciding to go in and help. That's not even close to how it happens in the book, and I think it's be awful to change it to try to make the elves more altruistic than they are.

Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind seeing, when he does his long--long--end of the trilogy, as they stop at Rivendel on their way home, Aragorn is introduced--and he's played by the same kid playing Ender.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm not sure I like Asa for young Aragorn.

I'm not sure how he looks today, but having Sadwyn Brophy play young Aragorn would be a nice touch.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Evangelin Lily looks badass in this movie.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

She looks good.

I hope they don't just make her a Liv Tyler recreation though. Because there's an incredibly strong resemblance.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Hope she gets her own movie!!!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Surely you don't mean her own LOTR movie...?
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

That's exactly what I mean.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'll forgive you your heresy.

Actually strike that, I won't.

Hiss.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

In the SR thread I said I wanted a radagast movie.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

A Radagast movie, based on what we've seen thus far of him, would have to involve Gandalf in some sort of buddy wizard movie.

Radagast will be recast so Will Ferrell can play him.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A Radagast movie, based on what we've seen thus far of him, would have to involve Gandalf in some sort of buddy wizard movie.

Radagast will be recast so Will Ferrell can play him.

I would quit. Just quit everything.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not sure I like Asa for young Aragorn.

I'm not sure how he looks today, but having Sadwyn Brophy play young Aragorn would be a nice touch.

Aragon would have been 27 years old at the time of the Hobbit, definitely not a child.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Aragorn was born in 2931.

Smaug was killed in 2941.

Unless I have my dates wrong.

manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
New trailer.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thehobbitthedesolationofsmaug/

Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
New sneak peek:

http://youtu.be/lfflhfn1W-o

Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Four observations:

1. Bilbo doesn't seem to be using the Ring nearly as much as he should be. I don't like that in a way because they're making him out to be much more fearless and brave than he really was. It goes back to some of the silly stuff they did in the first movie to make him into a hero.

2. They're overplaying the importance of the Arkenstone.

3. Man, they cast Thranduil absolutely perfectly. I never noticed how regal Lee Pace could be. It's really quite striking.

4. Sounds like they've edited Cumberbatch's voice almost to the point where he sounds like Orson Welles as Unicron from the animated Transformers movie.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.