FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Paging Eduardo_Sauron (Turmoil in Brazil)

Author Topic: Paging Eduardo_Sauron (Turmoil in Brazil)
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo, if you're still reading Hatrack I'd be curious to know your thoughts about the rioting that is wracking Brazil at the moment.

Link for those who aren't aware of the story.

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
From my time down there I know the government has been fairly corrupt. Most of the information and news I read says that Brasil is doing VERY well economically due to their growing fossil fuel industry, but that doesn't mean the average citizen is doing well.

There is a difference between people living in Rio or Sao Paulo and those living in other states such as Manaus, Santa Catarina, or Porto Allegre.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Still reading Hatrack.
Will try to post about the protests when I get home.
It's interesting to notice that it all started in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, the biggest and wealthiest cities in Brasil.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
So glad to hear from you! Will look forward to updates.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the riots will impact the summer olympics in Rio next year?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean the Soccer World Cup, right? Summer Olympics will take place in 2016.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Derrell:
I wonder if the riots will impact the summer olympics in Rio next year?

Sochi in 2014.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Sorry for the delay. Some friends were hurt yesterday (protesting). Had to see if everyone was ok. Then, back to work and there wasn't enough hours in my day. :-(
To tell you all the truth, I'm very conflicted about the (for the most part) peaceful protests. When I figure how to not oversimplify it, I'll write something. Guess I need a few days.

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I`ll say something right now: the "rioters" are not poor people screaming for bread. Most are middle-class students. It does not make the event less important, though.
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
That's very interesting. I'm glad you're okay, and I hope that your friends are as well. I'm definitely interested to hear your thoughts on the whole thing when you've had the time and energy to think things through and post about it.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.