FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ready Player One

Author Topic: Ready Player One
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a good book? I just checked it out from the library.

amazon

I only found out about it the other day from these two nerds talking about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4eNS_1hT-s

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know but it sounds like my kind of thing. I see a B&N run in my future morning.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It is indeed a good book, although not a great one. If you're a nerd of a certain age, you will enjoy it even as you recognize the ways in which you're being pandered to. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was decent, but more than a bit wish-fulfilling without a lot of consequences or effort towards the conclusion.
Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The closer you are in age to the game designer the book centers around, the more you will enjoy it. Me, I was loving every minute of it because ever page referenced something I either played, watched, or read as I was growing up,
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed it. Kind of a comfort-food version of Snow Crash. You won't feel any smarter for having read it, perhaps, but every page is a blast, and it is unapologetically nerdy.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is a way to combine Tom, Chris, and AFR's responses into one super witty response that describes my feelings about the book perfectly.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thesifer
Member # 12890

- posted      Profile for Thesifer           Edit/Delete Post 
One of Ernest Cline's stated goals was to get and keep people interested in "80's Nostalgia" since he is himself. I found it entertaining, and worth reading.

I'm only 32, so while I was a child in the 80's I'm not really old enough to be a Child of the 80's. But it was fun nonetheless.

Posts: 164 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
It is indeed a good book, although not a great one. If you're a nerd of a certain age, you will enjoy it even as you recognize the ways in which you're being pandered to. [Smile]

Yeah, it's totally a beach read. Don't look for anything mind blowing or deep.
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
Good comparison to Snow Crash - though it's not nearly as sharp or challenging as Stephenson's extremely flawed but enjoyable work.
Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked it up and read it yesterday.

The story was interesting and there was some Nostalgia there, but it wasn't a book I'll read again.

It even got optioned for a movie before the book was actually released. I've a feeling that was the authors aim all along though.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I found it quite entertaining, but it had a number of plot holes large enough to drive earth-moving machinery through. Also, if you're looking for realistic world building and things you've come to expect from good science fiction, look elsewhere. Still, it was pretty much unremittingly fun, though I know I missed many of the references from not being much of a pop-culture person, or maybe from just being the wrong age. Still I laughed a lot at memories of the late 70s and 80s that I had completely forgotten. I compare it more to Willy Wonka than anything else. People who have zero interest in that time will find it pretty dull, I bet.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a lot of fun reading it despite being a 90s baby and not knowing most of the references.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.