FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pinary: Binary Pi (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pinary: Binary Pi
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Pinary Rules:
1. If a digit matches the first digit of Pi, it is a "1".
2. Following a "1" (the first "1" is the tenth digit), go to the second digit of Pi.
3. If this digit matches the second digit, then it is a "1". If not matching, it is a zero.
4. Repeat this with all "3" digits in Pi.
5. A series of "1"s is a series of digits that match the opening digits of Pi.

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Here's a picture:

http://images.4chan.org/sci/src/1373097451006.jpg

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I did this by having faith in God.
U mad atheists?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think you did?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reticulum:
I did this by having faith in God.
U mad atheists?

I'm slightly uncomfortable about how the columns don't line up very well.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so mad. What did you do?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I asked myself:
What is the frequency that any selection of the digits of Pi match the opening digits. I call the result Li, which is an indefinite constant.

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
What am I supposed to be seeing that's so amazing?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
What did that prove, other than your lack of clarity?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I can't believe you did this!

I don't understand how y'all don't see it.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Try explaining it?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a math person, so I remain unimpressed until it is further explained.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pinary Rules:
1. If a digit matches the first digit of Pi, it is a "1".
2. Following a "1" (the first "1" is the tenth digit), go to the second digit of Pi.
3. If this digit matches the second digit, then it is a "1". If not matching, it is a zero.
4. Repeat this with all "3" digits in Pi.
5. A series of "1"s is a series of digits that match the opening digits of Pi.

An interpretation:

1. Any digit that is '3' is '1'

2. After a '1' (after being undefined as well as if the '1' is before or after translation) - wait, a '1' is always the tenth digit? Like a digit in the "tens" column, or like "after" 9 digits you get to the digit in question? I'm going with the latter, since it's the more literal interpretation, so we now know that the 10th digit is always a '1'. But wait, does that mean if there's a '1' we're already at the tenth digit? So 9 digits must either already exist or appear prior to the '1'? And what if there are more than 9 digits? I see what you mean about how crazy things are. But let's just ignore all this and note that we are "at" the second digit of Pi.

3. Now if a digit matches the second digit of Pi it's a '1'. So now if the digit is either '3', '1' or the tenth digit it's a '1'.

4. I'm not sure what we're repeating here, but I guess all '3's are again '1's. Which we already knew, but maybe we're just padding the rule book.

5. This is more a declaration than a process but OK. I guess Pi is now just a series of '1's, since we know that if we wrote out a series of '1's it would match the opening of Pi. But with no upper bounds on the length of the series I guess all of Pi is now '1's. Presumably with the decimal in the same spot.

So Pi is now 10/9. Which for, say, cosmology, isn't a bad estimate of Pi. So there you go.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, that's not what he did.

1) Consider the digits of Pi.
2) Start with the first digit.
3) Call this starting position "A." The value of "A" at position "A" is "3".
4) Iterate through the remaining digits of Pi (i.e. those after position "A") until you reach the first digit that matches the value of "A" (i.e. the second "3"). Note the number of digits you had to skip to reach this second instance of "3" (in this case, nine). Call this position "B".
5) Now that you have found the second instance of the first digit, continue from position "B" until you find the next instance -- not technically the second, but the next from this point -- of the second digit of pi, namely "2." Write down the number of digits it took you to do this (i.e. "5").
6) Continue for all the digits of pi. In some cases, you will have to pass more than 9 numbers to reach the next value; according to the process shown, write down the resulting number as if it were a single digit, even though it's not (at least in base 10).

If you feel like it, you can mark each iterative instance of a digit of Pi with a "1," basically as a meaningless placeholder. Any time you have repeating "1"s in your data, one or more digit of pi is being repeated sequentially -- which should happen reasonably often, since there are only ten digits and pi is infinitely long.

Anyway, the result is a number. Fourteen is also a number.

--------

The best assumption I can make is that someone has misunderstood Sagan's rather weak attempt at a proof of God at the end of Contact, and is satirizing their misunderstanding of it.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
No, that's not what he did.
What he did and what his process is are two different things Tom, you can't conflate the two.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

In honesty though, I'm not seeing what the significance is? I don't just mean the rules, but why is that number somehow related to having faith in God? Is it a special number somehow?

[EDIT: i.e. If the number that resulted was "1234567..." or "31415926535..." or something then I'd at least see why they thought the result was interesting. But I don't think the result they got looked like anything other than random digits.]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ July 08, 2013, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

That's why I posited the Contact parody.
Obama
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Reticulum

Who are you trying to convince, here? Yourself, or atheists?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I have faith in God; I need no convincing. Science is the allusion of Math, Math is the allusion of God.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Pick another constant for me to apply Pinary to.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I'll do e.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Science is the allusion of Math, Math is the allusion of God.
Do you know what the word "allusion" means?
Hobbes
Member # 433

I want to know what this number means to you. You've discovered a formula or process that generates a random number. Random number generators are certainly a useful thing and there's some work put into a good one. But they have to show good distribution and be computationally efficient. I don't know how your formula fares on the first but it's pretty bad on the second. But I'm pretty sure you feel these numbers are more important than examples of random number generator results.

Hobbes [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
You've discovered a formula or process that generates a random number.
He's actually "discovered" the opposite: it's a process that derives a constant from another constant.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Hold on, I'll make a blog showing the newest number I created. I derived the constant Ha (Harrison's Number from e. I'll have it up by the end of the day.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

With Pinary, all integers are 1, and 0 is also 1. Next question: Can Pinary be applied to imaginary numbers? Imaginary Pinary?
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
You've discovered a formula or process that generates a random number.
He's actually "discovered" the opposite: it's a process that derives a constant from another constant.
Well it needs a seed number, but that's not atypical for random number generators. Then he can presumably use the result to feed back into the process and create a loop. Sounds like pretty standard random number generating to me.

Hobbes [Smile]

Obama
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell if I'm being trolled here or not.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

https://universalmath.wordpress.com/
Reticulum
Member # 8776

The Pinary that produced it is at the bottom of the page.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Start here, Reticulum: The Little Manual on Science Communication
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Currently patenting Pinary.
stilesbn
Member # 11809

- posted      Profile for stilesbn   Email stilesbn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Currently patenting Pinary.

I believe you wanted to say: "Presently patenting Pinary."
Posts: 362 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I'm writing a book called Persephone. The main character is named Scott, after F. Scott Fitzgerald and Orson Scott Card. Here's something cool;

"Canvased against the gloaming, the horizon was eclipsed by the slow climbing angle of a prairie mountain. Emanating from just out of sight were indefatigable eruptions of light and ground shaking sound. As one of the Robot warships began to pass over the top and into view, a Persephonian satellite sent forth the roar of a miles-long plasma beam. The beam, upon contact with the ship, instantaneously bathed all that could be seen in a pure white light; immediately afterwards, the landscape flashed back into observation, and a titanic sound wave reverberated outwards. The bow of the warship was decayed into the quantum vacuum and out of existence, whereas the silver remains of the metal monster began to collapse out of the sky. Its contiguous beams of colored light briefly flickered until ceasing completely, while the neutralized Robot vessel exploded into the dirt of a garden of chaos."

Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear me. Please read this link and understand it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbosity

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I am pretty sure he is kidding.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Persephone: Goddess of the harvest and wife of Hades, lord of the underworld. Persephone is a farm world the size of Neptune.
Robots are from Hephaestus (greek god of metalworking), 1/20th the size of Persephone. Set in 10,010.

"Beneath a sky of pitch black smog, eroded and corroded towers stood abandoned amid the planetary desert called Hephaestus. It's resources mined and devoted to total invasion."

Reticulum
Member # 8776

"Beneath a sky of pitch black smog, eroded and corroded towers of nanotubes stood abandoned amid the planetary desert called Hephaestus. It's resources mined and devoted to total invasion."
stilesbn
Member # 11809

"From the sililoquistic ramblings of the utterly bereft and transient wildlings the sound of ancient wonder could be heard atop the quintessential eco-friendly citadel of bewilderment."
Posts: 362 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:

Do you mean to say "It is in my most expert opinion that this most grandiloquent individual is attempting to bestow on our humble community a jest of literary proportions."
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, I hope so.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

"The hours grew temporarily brighter in the valley as the light of Zablaxus reflected over the afternoon. A golden halo encapsulated the passing moon."
stilesbn
Member # 11809

quote:
Originally posted by Wingracer:
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:

Do you mean to say "It is in my most expert opinion that this most grandiloquent individual is attempting to bestow on our humble community a jest of literary proportions."
I would dare to add my most meek level of agreement to your eloquently stated opinion on the matter of our fellow acquaintance.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

"Scott gazed into the stars, and his awareness split into one thousand unconscious pieces."
Reticulum
Member # 8776

"Scott gazed into her slightly vacillating pupils; they were surrounded by an underlying light green overlaid with light patches of starry yellow."
Reticulum
Member # 8776

"The orchard's trees were evenly spaced and equally beautiful. Scott did not see the forest or the trees; instead he observed the wind hum through their leaves."
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Case in point: Orson Scott Card is badass.
stilesbn
Member # 11809

"As Scott gazed at the humming wind his non-observance led him to overlook the oncoming hoard of undead villagers."
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Ask The Universe anything.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.